Some Queries??

v.Na5h

Off Hook!
Making a folder 'access denied' ??

Hiding files...making files in a drive delete-proof without any application

A. Everybody has a huge collection of R-rated movies or tv shows like spartacus,game of thrones, californication which we do not want others to access
But how do we hide them

1. i simply put them in a folder (e:\movies\xxx)
and make it system hidden(using attrib)

but its easily accessible when u type the address in address bar

2. and another way is to make the folder 'access denied'
like the message we get when we access the 'system volume information' folder

i tried using the security tab(using cacls.exe command)(only in ntfs system)
and is a pretty good method but get a message below the access denied 'u can change it using security tab'
so u can revert that as well

3. and there is another stupid way to make the folder recycle bin/control panel etc etc
which makes it more obvious that there is something fishy here

i know even simply changing the attribute of the folder is enough as most non-techies wont be able to change it.
but is there any other fool proof-way
?

B. and one more thing is there any way to make the whole drive delete-proof
i mean when we try to delete or move /modify the file we should get a access denied message but should be able to read or access the file

Last edited:

motobuntu

Journeyman
additionally, You can assign the system attribute by using attrib +s,
after which you have to uncheck the option for "show system files" to view the files.

PS: please give proper title to your thread like 'need help for hiding files' or something.

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah well for all your purpose Truecrypt software is best. It can do exactly what you want. At least give it a try. You won't regret.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
the easiest & most secure way to do it is by using the Group Policy Editor(GPEDIT.MSC) use one single drive to store these things & hide the drive using gpedit here is how to do it
Using Group Policy Objects to hide specified drives

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Yeah well for all your purpose Truecrypt software is best. It can do exactly what you want. At least give it a try. You won't regret.

using 3rd party apps is working but it also risky coz u never know what will happen to the app & u lost all the hidden data

gameranand

Living to Play
using 3rd party apps is working but it also risky coz u never know what will happen to the app & u lost all the hidden data
No actually it don't hide files it makes container for them so even if you lose the program then also you don't lose your data. Your data will still work. You can carry it and use on any PC with that software by mounting that encrypted file. Also you can keep this software as a portable on external drives.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
For just hiding folders, Winmend Folder Hidden is pretty good and simple to use.

Zangetsu

No actually it don't hide files it makes container for them so even if you lose the program then also you don't lose your data. Your data will still work. You can carry it and use on any PC with that software by mounting that encrypted file. Also you can keep this software as a portable on external drives.

r u telling abt TrueCypt...
what if C: drive is corrupted & u want to recover the data through a
recovery bootable CD?

gameranand

Living to Play
r u telling abt TrueCypt...
what if C: drive is corrupted & u want to recover the data through a
recovery bootable CD?
Yes I am talking about TrueCrypt.
Err...What does this question have to do with TrueCrypt ???
If my C: Drive is corrupt I prefer Live Ubuntu to get my data than anything else. :)

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
so r the hidden files (by truecrypt) visible in Live Ubuntu??

yes, as already said by gameranand, this software creates only a container which we can lock or unlock. It will be visible in Live Ubuntu as well as Windows OS(other than the installed version of Windows, like truecrypt hidden files will be seen through Win Vista / 7).

gameranand

Living to Play
yes, as already said by gameranand, this software creates only a container which we can lock or unlock. It will be visible in Live Ubuntu as well as Windows OS(other than the installed version of Windows, like truecrypt hidden files will be seen through Win Vista / 7).
But you can't use the files unless you have the password for that container. :D:D

gameranand

Living to Play
No it makes the container of the size you desire. Say you want to store files of about 1 GB then you can make a container of size about 1GB+ and store that data of yours in that container. Although you can change the extension to anything like .avi, .txt, .aby or just anything you want. I usually change the extension to something generic and store my data on it. And Now I have a portable encrypted data.

Zangetsu

No it makes the container of the size you desire. Say you want to store files of about 1 GB then you can make a container of size about 1GB+ and store that data of yours in that container. Although you can change the extension to anything like .avi, .txt, .aby or just anything you want. I usually change the extension to something generic and store my data on it. And Now I have a portable encrypted data.

there r apps which makes the container as 0bytes....

so the portable encrypted data can be opened in another machine with truecrypt...& do we have to give same password :))

Top Bottom