.:: Some IP Address related questions? ::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuXian

In the zone
Got a couple of IP adress related questions.

1. My website uses a shared IP. How can I know the other sites on the server who are using the same IP?

2. My ISP provides me a static IP. When I search the IP info www.DNSstuff.com then it shows the IP owner as my ISP and location of IP as Mumbai whereas I am in Hyderabad! Why?

3. Like we purchase domain names individually can we purchase static IP addresses also? so that when searched on net on sites like www.DNSstuff.com it should return me as the owner. If yes then Where can we purchase the domains from?

4. Since IPV6 is officially launched are its huge IP addresses already in use?

5. Heard there a some new dns resource records in IPV6 implentation. Any idea what are they?

Thanks

theraven

Technomancer
1) you cant ..
the ip is like the property of the server and they manage the redirection of different sites ... more like subdomains for them
if u use that ip address you'll be taken to the server's website

2) the owner of any ip will be the one who has leased the ip ... here your ISP
i have no idea why it shows mumbai tho
maybe their main service provider is in mumbai and they are leasing the ip's from there

3) yes you lease IP addresses like i said
but you lease/buy one when your setting up a server ...
you need to have something running on ur computer to make it accessible via the internet .. which is server software and certain services ...
and then your website
the ip's will be leased from your isp ! ofcourse here we arent talkin the 64 -256 kbps "broadband" isp's here

4) ipv6 is still being implemented
a lot of changes have to be made to the current setup to support a 128 bit ip address
be patient

5) wait for ipv6 to be more common

digen

Youngling
2. My ISP provides me a static IP. When I search the IP info www.DNSstuff.com then it shows the IP owner as my ISP and location of IP as Mumbai whereas I am in Hyderabad! Why?
Thats because even if you have a static IP , the block or range of IP addresses has been assigned to your ISP.Your IP being static/dynamic doesnt come into picture here.Its a cumbersome job for the ISP to update information for each & every client who doesnt need to host anything on the internet not like commercial org's,institutions,business co's.

3. Like we purchase domain names individually can we purchase static IP addresses also? so that when searched on net on sites like www.DNSstuff.com it should return me as the owner. If yes then Where can we purchase the domains from?

Yes ISP's provide extra public IP'S[static] at a cost.You can then map a domain to the IP & host the required services.Thats exactly how commercial org's & institutes have their services published on the internet.
For domains check out the last few pages of digit,there are quite some offers there.

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
ok thanks

Does this mean though I can get an IP from ISP I cannot become the absolute owner of the same?
Are only ISP's allowed to own IP's? What I mean is if individuals are allowed a whois should return the persons name as the owner of the IP!

BTW who manges the IP allocation? Is it the same like frequency spectrum?? Some govt or related agency???

Can someone plz explain

digen

Youngling
I'm not sure about your first query.
Actually its a hierarchial process, several orgs around the world have been given the authority to assign IP's.Check out the links for in the second url at the bottom.They get it from the main " Internet Assigned Numbers Authority".
I'm not sure exactly how this would work but you will either have to have a domain registered or the ISP has to update the necessary details for the registrant,i'm not sure of the latter.

The IP assignment is managed & looked after by the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.

You can check a few resources here to get a better idea:
1.*www.internic.net/
2.*www.iana.org/ipaddress/ip-addresses.htm

Deep

Version 2.0
tuxian said:
1. My website uses a shared IP. How can I know the other sites on the server who are using the same IP?

theraven said:
1) you cant ..
the ip is like the property of the server and they manage the redirection of different sites ... more like subdomains for them
if u use that ip address you'll be taken to the server's website

you can sir :)

I had mentioned it in his other post..

but mentioning here again...

*whois.sc/ (SiteName.com or IP here)
*whois.webhosting.info/ (SiteName.com or IP here)

it will show the number of sites hosted on same IP..

cheers
Deep

theraven

Technomancer
i didnt see that post :p
when my dns was down
i somehow looked up the ip of my site
it was hosted on xxxx host
when i tried that ip later ... i accessed the server page :D
even with the sub folders .. it said not found ..
anyways .. thats what i thot .. thanx for the update

theraven

Technomancer
u wanna hack pc's using the ip address ?
man if u figure out let me know ?
ill even give u my ip address .. both of them
see if u can hack into it
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
plz dont edit any of my hacking information huh !

Deep

Version 2.0
suj_engico said:
Can IP adress pf a PC be used to hack it?????
IF yes than can the hacked information be edited?
Please reply!!

No,it cant be :)

But from IP address information of the machine can be found by scanning it...

but if you have internal IP address i.e. 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x then no need to worry from outsiders..

anyways i would suggest having a decent firewall if you are on cable net

Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
hey one more thing can the IP address be used to send in the data i.e some advertisements like the messenger services ones(not the chatting wala messenger).

Deep

Version 2.0
tuxian said:
hey one more thing can the IP address be used to send in the data i.e some advertisements like the messenger services ones(not the chatting wala messenger).

i didnt get u..
can you explain with example pls ?

Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
In windows 2K and XP theres a service called the messenger service that is used to send messages in network. This can be verified by typing the following in Run under start menu:

services.msc

this will open the services window that shows the different services like IIS, RPC etc running or their current status etc. Here in the list you will find a service called messenger.

This is what the description given about it in the window there

"Sends and receives messages transmitted by administrators or by the Alerter service."

Using this service I am getting irritating messagebox or window dialogue based messages that says

"Your computer is effected with spyware contact spyblot@spyblot.de" etc and lots of other irritating messages.

Heres the screenshot of one of those messages
*img94.exs.cx/img94/1507/msngr4lb.th.jpg

When I stop this service then these messages stop coming.

One more thing I had 12 hour net connection before that worked in the evenings. But when there was no connection in the morning(only ISP's site works and no other website works in the morning)
still I use to get these irritating messages. They also come when connection is was on in the evenings.

So I wanted to know that how come they work even when theres no connection how it worked? may be they are targetting my static IP??

Deep

Version 2.0
no your local isp might be sending it...since u said ur isp site used to work at that time so it is highly possible that your ISP is sending these alert messages..

Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
ok, but is ISP using IP address to send these kinda messages.?

Is there a chance that other people in the ISP network are sending me these again using Ip?Anyways for info I connect using cable modem that works on DOCSIS protocol I suppose. I am unable to see anybody else on the network nor they are able to see me. I am very confused!

Deep

Version 2.0
ISP can send the message coz they might have enabled broadcasting rights to themselves

they can send using some software or by dos command net send

"net send username message"

I hope this clears your confusion :)
Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
After seeing ur last reply I tried sending myself a message by writing this on command prompt

net send username message

but after sometime got a failure msg saying user wasnt found.

Then I sent tried messaging this way

net send mystaticIP message

This time I got the message in a message box and it too had messenger service in its caption.

So this means using my static IP i was able to send a msg to myself. In the same way if someone knows my IP they can message me using my IP

Is my ISP selling my IP to other marketing parties?

theraven

Technomancer
net send "username" message ???
i thot u always use IP or the computer netbios name

username is for when the pc's are connected to a domain AFAIK !!

so for sending a msg over lan u need to have messenger service running on any/all pc's which will be partaking in it and then use for eg.

Code:
net send 192.168.0.1 "hello how are you"

quotes are required if u use spaces in your message

and dun worry afaik its ur isp sending u those msgs
and usually ISP's use NAT services . so u use a different private ip address which is translated to a public ip address via NAT
this is how they protect your pc from incoming attacks .
however u are still prone to attacks from within the lan ;)

deep sir am i right this time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom