Some Extreme Tweaks for Ubuntu

ashrj

Intermediate-level User
I have been using Ubuntu on a netbook for about 2 weeks now :-D I have done most of the simpler performance tweaks, but i really want to try more.

This is NOT the first time i am using Ubuntu. I have used Ubuntu, Mint and OpenSuse in the past few years, however they were almost always a secondary OS, that too,just for the experience of different OSs'.
This is the first time i am using a Linux distro as my Primary OS. I have another machine which has Win 7, however in just these two weeks i have started loving Ubuntu and have shifted most of my work to it, other than for the occasional more power intensive tasks. The system has been buggy and some applications have misbehaved but i have dealt with them in some way or the other. :)

I love Ubuntu, primarily for the degree of changes it permits and overall speed of the system. Eg. I get a usable desktop from power on, in about 32 seconds :)
I really want to tweak it more, and get even better performance out of it. I am aiming for a OS boot time of <20 seconds, without any usability issues[this is critical, since it is my primary system].

I have programming experience in C, Python, C++, a bit of Java, and am currently learning Shell programming. However, my knowledge of OS is limited [severely] and hence i need some help with this.

Ubuntu Rules :cool:

doomgiver

Warframe
if you want fast boot performance, disable/rearrange the items in the startup daemon list.
i dont know where it can be found, but well, google.

anyway, ubuntu is bloatware, go with a non-*buntu distro, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Anish

Spectre
I have used Ubuntu, Mint and OpenSuse
Its great that you had a dose of Suse too. Hope you loved it
I really want to tweak it more, and get even better performance out of it.
Its really great you are ready to "engineer" your OS. Use a application such as htop to view and kill unwanted processes.
I love Ubuntu, primarily for the degree of changes it permits
Have you ever seen/heard the degree of changes a distro like arch can permit?
I am aiming for a OS boot time of <20 seconds
Seriously my system running arch boots within 15sec ;)

sanny16

Journeyman
There is a guide(ebook) for ubuntu on a website you might find your answer there. Check this website: " Search Results | MakeUseOf "

OP
A

ashrj

Intermediate-level User
There is a guide(ebook) for ubuntu on a website you might find your answer there.

If you could specify either the name of the book or the website it would be pretty helpful.

Have you ever seen/heard the degree of changes a distro like arch can permit?

I have read a bit about Arch but i am not too confident on installing an OS utility by utility :|
It just leaves too much room for something to go wrong. And like i said, stability is paramount.

Seriously my system running arch boots within 15sec ;)

K. Now you are just showing off :mrgreen:

doomgiver

Warframe
^ my arch used to boot within 10 seconds of the grub screen. (10 seconds from grub screen to full desktop, auto login)that too on a pentium D and 512 mb ram (used openbox, shuffled/disabled/backgrounded daemons and turned off unnecessary options from many files.... check the arch wiki)

Top Bottom