OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
first check the hardware version:
How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device? - Welcome to TP-LINK
then update to that hardware version latest firmware:
TD-W8968 - Welcome to TP-LINK
make sure to read instructions first before updating firmware.

edit:check this video as reference for configuring EC306:
Unboxing TP-LINK MR3220 and How to Setting Huawei EC-306 rev.A + Flexi EVDO - YouTube

3G/4G USB Modem Compatibility List for TD-W8968 - Welcome to TP-LINK
The link above shows that EC 306 isn't supported.

I saw that video before trying to connect. Didn't work.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
there shouldn't be much of a hardware difference between w8968 & mr3220 3g usb modem capability.if a 3g usb modem is supported by mr3220 then most likely it should work with other tp-link products with some firmware update.did you tried firmware update option?also first you should take a look at this as i just found out about it yesterday:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/178350-new-modem-router-needed.html#post2016843

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Haven't checked hardware and firmware versions yet. Will go to his house soon and update. Thanks again.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Haven't checked hardware and firmware versions yet. Will go to his house soon and update.

Okay so here is what happened. Hardware version is Ver 2.0, which means it has latest firmware. I followed the steps in that video and configured the 3G settings fine. Then I restarted the modem, switched it off and plugged in the Tata Photon Max dongle. Now when I reboot the router, the status shows as "Connecting" but it doesn't connect to the Internet. I left the router on for half an hour but the status did not change.

Initially the LED on the Photon blinks every two seconds (blue colour), then it turns green and blinks again. After this, it turns green and stops blinking. The green LED glows continuously, and is replaced by the blue LED for five seconds or so once in a while.

I guess this is an improvement in the sense that previously the Photon was showing "Disconnected". By the way, I can see the status at 192.168.1.1 (connected through LAN cable).

What could be wrong here?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
tp-link has released a new firmware for W8968v2 on 11th october.try that & if already using that then send an email using this page:
E-mail Support - Welcome to TP-LINK
usually they respond fast & may even send you some custom update file to support a particular 3g usb modem.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
tp-link has released a new firmware for W8968v2 on 11th october.try that & if already using that then send an email using this page:
E-mail Support - Welcome to TP-LINK
usually they respond fast & may even send you some custom update file to support a particular 3g usb modem.

Whitestar, you are an absolute rockstar. Thanks for your help and invaluable support. :))

I managed to connect the Tata Photon Max dongle to TP-Link W8968. The missing link was username password. For Photon Plus, it appears to be just "internet", but not the same for Max. Connect Photon Max to PC, the dialer will run. Then click settings and one of the tabs shows username as "92********@revb.ttsl.in". That 10-digit number is the password, so all one has to do while setting up the router is add these two values manually. After that it worked like a charm.

Once again, thanks for your help. You're doing a great job in this forum. :) Cheers.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
good to know & your finding will help others in future :) btw how did you figure it out.

P.S.it seems like username/password setting is required only for post-paid connections & for pre-paid connections these values are simply blank even in their official dialer software.

Last edited:
I guess the problem here is bandwidth.
Usually when a device isn't connecting its because of the bandwidth and the speed of the internet connection you have also every modem has a limit of device that can access the internet after that it becomes difficult to connect and access the wifi.
So check the capacity of your modem.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
good to know & your finding will help others in future :) btw how did you figure it out.

P.S.it seems like username/password setting is required only for post-paid connections & for pre-paid connections these values are simply blank even in their official dialer software.
Yes, it is a postpaid connection. I had almost given up trying to connect, thought why not just check account settings on the photon dialer. That's when I saw the username and password. Figured I should try keying it in. :)

I guess the problem here is bandwidth.
Usually when a device isn't connecting its because of the bandwidth and the speed of the internet connection you have also every modem has a limit of device that can access the internet after that it becomes difficult to connect and access the wifi.
So check the capacity of your modem.
Problem has been solved. The modem cannot handle many connections on WPA2 encryption but works fine with WEP.

Top Bottom