Software Hack Lets Feature Phones Jam Calls, Texts Within 75 Miles

rosemolr

Journeyman
There's something uniquely scary about the idea of your calls being jammed. Good news! It turns out blocking calls and texts to certain phones is pretty easy. Hackers have figured out how to turn a feature phone into a "jammer" with just a few software modifications.

The hack was developed by a security research group at the Technical University of Berlin, who shared their findings in a recent paper at the Usenix Security Symposium in Washington, D.C., last week. Basically, with the help of custom firmware, one feature phone can block calls and texts around it for about 75 square miles by stealing the communications and spiking them into the ground.

When an SMS or call goes out over 2G GSM, the tower starts the exchange by pinging the receiving phone. Once the receiving phone answers back, then the SMS or call goes through. These jammers work by answering the tower's ping before the right phone can. It's not technically "jamming" but the effect is the same. The researchers didn't design the hack to actually read the stolen communications, but there's no reason they couldn't.

Source : Software Update to $20 Phones Could Topple 2G Cell Networks | MIT Technology Review

There is no such thing called perfectly secure!!!

On a personal view: If ever 3gpp is planning to provide a fix for the identified security flaw this would need a fix in protocol.It is not that easy to deploy a fix across the globe.They should have seen this coming.

OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
But i have always wonder what kind of top notch security Google is using...I mean it is quiet possible that Hackers will be trying to take down google in every second still it is standing strong!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I heard that it is possible to steal data from a phone even if it is switched off. How the hell it is possible?

OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
If my understanding is correct it is impossible to steal data from a phone which is switched off unless it is in Die Hard 7!!! When you were told that it is possible did he/she mention the specific kind of phones for this kind of stealing?

As a matter of fact,it is possible to fetch data and operate a phone even if it switched off but it is only possible in specific phones which are not commercially available to public.

Certain phone which are from the TETRA manufactures are having lot of classified features.All these devices are of millitary grade devices and hence these devices can be remotely operated by the device admins.

Admins will have the capability to remotely wipe and fetch the data for obvious reasons.They can even turn on the microphone of the device even if the device is offline.

TETRA is following a totally different classified protocols for their use.Thank god these corrupt people wont be able to get one of these for their personal usage.The uplink and downlink is totally encrypted with high level security measures.

Technically speaking,it is possible to fetch data from a "phone" but not in commercially available phones.

Top Bottom