So why didnt Microsoft build Vista on .NET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
You may not believe the answer... Way before Vista, Microsoft spent loads of money and intellectual juice creating the .NET framework, which was and remains very much like Java. In fact, it's probably better than Java...

Here is an informative link that i came across.

Link: *darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=93335&WT.svl=column1_1

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I read somewhere some months before that when Microsoft started working on Longhorn, it was a little upgrade from XP written in .NET, actually it was expected a link between XP & Vienna. But as far as the development started, they found many bugs and problems in this build.

So they decided to start afresh OS using Windows Server 2003 code and put a lots of enhancements and features in VISTA :)

So its good for us coz if didnt happen, then we would not be able to see so many features in VISTA.

[offtopic]

@deepgeek2 signature

lol :D

[/offtopic]

Dreamer

Dreaming is THE art...
So why didnt Microsoft build Vista on .NET?

This looks like the answer from anadk's link, and i almost agree with it.

The problem, it turns out, is that the .NET builders did not give much thought to providing many of the essential basic building blocks that operating systems construction crews need for their work. Interpreted code has some minor performance issues as well (note that there are many ways to overcome this often overly shrill critique). But the main problem was that the Microsoft OS guys are big C++ users. Getting them to switch over to C# was for these reasons not in the cards.

By the way, Microsoft is working on such an OS to incorporate a language, maybe better than .Net, and its called Singularity. I quote a few words from MS on it here:

Singularity is a research project focused on the construction of dependable systems through innovation in the areas of systems, languages, and tools. We are building a research operating system prototype (called Singularity), extending programming languages, and developing new techniques and tools for specifying and verifying program behavior.

Advances in languages, compilers, and tools open the possibility of significantly improving software. For example, Singularity uses type-safe languages and an abstract instruction set to enable what we call Software Isolated Processes (SIPs)...

From what I have come to think of, these things may well be incorporated in "Vienna", that is going to change the way we use computers (of course, that's as per BG & MS - only time will tell).

A

ankitsagwekar

next windows after windows vista
which come in 2010+ is base on vista
microsoft is working on that

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom