Status
Not open for further replies.

thrash_metal

In the zone
Currently i'm using a 300watt Zebronics SMPS ... my comp config is P4 3.2 on Intel 915 , 1.5Gb 400Mhz ram , 300x1 + 120x2 SATA Hdd , Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro Soundcard , XfX GeForce 7600GT , Pinnacle PCTV , LG DVDwriter , Sony DVD Writer , Asus StarIce Cooling fan . I am thinking of upgrading my SMPS , but whenever i put in a higher wattage SMPS it seems to blow out !!! It works fine untill I start any heavy application when the system sudenly turns off !!!! Upon restart the green LED on the cabinet glows and also the light on the motherboard but the system doesnt start ... this has happened a LOT of times ... I even got a CORSAIR 620watt Modular Power Supply .... the same thing happened .. what can be the reason for this ? The system is working perfectly on the 300watt . Sometimes the Audigy external Drive suddenly switches off . What could be th problem for this ? Please help .......

roydon

Broken In
I was having a similar kind of problem while playing any 3D game ,after a 1 min the PC would just shutdown.Turns out it was the RAM slots which were having trouble running in dual channel mode.I would say try checking each RAM module or borrow a friends RAM stick and see what happens.

Also check the spike gaurd and try a different power outlet.

gannu_rox

In the zone
A computer wud work with an SMPS havina higher wattage... It doesn do any harm...

Invest in a powersafe or a coolermaster SMPS... At least 500W of them.... U wudn regret payin a li'l xtra... But its cheaper than Antec ones.....

I cant find d problem with the former query.... Connect ever connector to d reqd power inlet... Use d manual n ref to d net... They'll even post images...

assasin

Banned
gan12320021 said:
Invest in a powersafe or a coolermaster SMPS... At least 500W of them.... U wudn regret payin a li'l xtra... But its cheaper than Antec ones.....

dood r u out of ya mind or somethin???:confused:
ur suggesting Powersafe & CM to a guy who has already tried out a Corsair 620W psu which costs the same as Antec.

@thrash_metal ,for exactly how much did ya buy that Corsair 620W psu.
i'm seriously thinkin of buying one when i geta DX10 gpu.

roydon

Broken In
thrash_metal said:
In ChA i have 512*2 and in ChB i just have 512*1 ...... can this be the problem ??? RAM @ 400Mhz

Why dont you try using a single 512 stick at a time in the same slot.Use one stick and try loading a heavy application and see if you get shutdowns.It will be slow but the idea is to see if it crashes or not.Try it and post back.

OP
T

thrash_metal

In the zone
@assasin .... I got it for 7,500/- ... well thts the cheapest I could get across 10 vendors I asked out here !

And as far as the second thing goes ... leme try it out and post it !

OP
T

thrash_metal

In the zone
Its not shutting down .. but getting really really HOT !!!! The Intel Desktop Utilities starts falshing warnings at around 78 degrees and then it hangs :-(

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
try this:

Keep the cabinet door open, put a desk fan blowing air into the cabinet and see if that keep the system up and running.

Reason could be SMPS getting too hot and increase in the temp. inside the cabinet or that Corsair SMPS is not giving stable voltages.

try any other high wattage SMPS and also check how corsair SMPS works with other CPU

If you got this UPS from US or other country, make sure that the UPS is set to 240V-250V operational voltage.

Last edited:

roydon

Broken In
thrash_metal said:
Its not shutting down .. but getting really really HOT !!!! The Intel Desktop Utilities starts falshing warnings at around 78 degrees and then it hangs :-(

What exactly is getting hot? ....and the which component is 78C?

ancientrites

In the zone
thrash_metal said:
Currently i'm using a 300watt Zebronics SMPS ... my comp config is P4 3.2 on Intel 915 , 1.5Gb 400Mhz ram , 300x1 + 120x2 SATA Hdd , Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro Soundcard , XfX GeForce 7600GT , Pinnacle PCTV , LG DVDwriter , Sony DVD Writer , Asus StarIce Cooling fan . I am thinking of upgrading my SMPS , but whenever i put in a higher wattage SMPS it seems to blow out !!! It works fine untill I start any heavy application when the system sudenly turns off !!!! Upon restart the green LED on the cabinet glows and also the light on the motherboard but the system doesnt start ... this has happened a LOT of times ... I even got a CORSAIR 620watt Modular Power Supply .... the same thing happened .. what can be the reason for this ? The system is working perfectly on the 300watt . Sometimes the Audigy external Drive suddenly switches off . What could be th problem for this ? Please help .......

i thinks its UPS that is giving you trouble when you have installed a new smps.
now for moment get that corsair smps and connect it directly to socket.i dont think you will have any problem.see that you dont have anything connected to ups.

assasin

Banned
if ur proccy is heating upto 78C then remove ur heatsink and clean it throughly,apply AS 5 and then put it back correctly

OP
T

thrash_metal

In the zone
Well shifted to Antec Nine Hundred cabinet ..... took the temperature down to 67 degrees (max load) , average is round 55 ...... is this proper ?

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
For lowering the temperature
1) Put the computer away from direct sunlight
2) Keep the cabinet atleast 1 foot away from walls.
3) Get a table without side walls.
4) Check whether the general heat dissipation equipment is working. Fans etc are clean, heatsink is making good contact etc.
5) Reduce the clutter of cables by tying them ( with non-flammable plastic to prevent burning) and setting them aside away from air flow.
6) Use HW monitor to find out how temperatures are chaning while gaming and idle to identify what is overheating.
7) If room temperautre is very high, get a motherboard which is rated to work at high temperatures like ATI chipsets.

BTW I followed everything I said above and my computer is working fine even on 14 hour gaming sessions and my computer is 24*7 on.

Also I have only 288W SMPS and it can handle ATI mobo, Pentium D (one high power consuming procy) , XFX7600GT and 2 sticks of DDR II and 1 hdd and DVD writer. I think everybody seems to be doing an overkill on SMPS. I am totally confused how my SMPS is handling this load when all those Wattage Calculators on net seem to be saying I need to nearly double the wattage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom