Smokin Ultra Durable M/B

OP
toshar

toshar

New to this forum
there's no slot to mount it on H81
Yeah! I noticed and today only I came to know about M.2 slot existence. Well, I also found "M.2 to PCIe x1" adaptor where one can insert the drive (these are not drives, these are small chips. Drives are big. And Heavy. And feels like you have got something inside the cab:duh2:) into and then that adaptor in PCIe slot. Sounds good.
Will check with the computer empire prior purchase if its possible without crashes else SATA SSD. Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah! I noticed and today only I came to know about M.2 slot existence. Well, I also found "M.2 to PCIe x1" adaptor where one can insert the drive (these are not drives, these are small chips. Drives are big. And Heavy. And feels like you have got something inside the cab:duh2:) into and then that adaptor in PCIe slot. Sounds good.
Will check with the computer empire prior purchase if its possible without crashes else SATA SSD. Thanks

Sata SSDs are not heavy .. actually they are pleasant to hold on. You don't even have to mount with screws if you want to on the cabinet. Just place them any where on the cabinet and connect sata power and data cable. Done.

BTW, If you can negotiate the price of the i7+h81 combo. The price should not be more than 8k.

OP
toshar

toshar

New to this forum
BTW, If you can negotiate the price of the i7+h81 combo. The price should not be more than 8k.
The deal is done now for 10k and I have purchased the motherboard along with processor with 1 year waranty. Let it be.. since I was not getting AM3+ board replacement.

I checked the mobo and Processor with Furmark CPU burner running overnight and max temp I observed was ~68-71 with CM HyperX 212. Seems good.
Physical touch to the heatsink was not like even 50 degrees but SMD chokes near the CPU socket was very hot to touch. I wonder why there is not heatsink over these chokes on H81 bottom end motherboard.

Since the board doesn't have any M.2 slots, I will be buying Basic 128gb SATA SSD drive for windows and I lost the CPU Cooler Standoffs nuts so have to use some jugaadh like cable ties in order to keep the cooler on place with some retain force on CPU die. All in all, I have a working desktop now. :)

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-16 at 1.49.23 AM.jpeg

Gonna put some heatsinks above them.
HeatSi.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't run furmark like applications overnight and unnecessarily stress the processor . Anyway, those are some nice temps but that jugadd thing can become loose at some point of time so it would be better for you to look for those stand offs / screws or get a new cooler after sometime.

OP
toshar

toshar

New to this forum
I am getting confused here. Something on my motherboard is getting very hot underload WRT to the intel platform.

For reference, the CPU is i7 4770 | 22nm | 4 Cores-8 Threads | Base Freq. 3.40 GHz, Turbo Freq. 3.90 GHz | TDP - 84W | Socket- LGA 1150 | T_Case- 72.72°C |
MotherBoard - Gigabyte GA GA-H81M-S (rev. 1.0)
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212x
Cabinet - Some Corsair Cabinet, 2x 120mm Intake Fans, 1x 120mm Exhaust Fan Overhead right above Horizontally install CPU heatsink.

Setup -
  • As per SPEEDFAN monitoring utility, some TEMP3 sensor is getting hot under load.
  • The load I applied here is CPU Burner (Furmark) running at 8 Threads (Default) and Battlefield V on Ultra settings.
  • Monitoring is done through Speedfan and MSI Afterburned OSD telemetry

Concern :-
  • As mentioned above, ONLY Temp3 is 38°C on idle and 85ish °C on full load by CPU burner. WHAT IS TEMP3? Is this the actual cumulative temperature of CPU or what as all other sensors seem good and cool under load and in ideal conditions?
  • In-Game (I have only installed Battlefield V) again this is the same sensor getting hot. So I enabled all CPU OSD and the load is not even 100% to justify the rise as the game is only using 35-45% of CPU..
  • There is also much variation in each CPU usage like all cores are not equally active in running game whereas older FX6300 use to provide balance output from all 6 cores.
  • IF it is the CPU that is getting hot (there is raise in CPU fan RPM also) there should also be enough power draw but its below 30watts instead of say 75 watts or even 80 if turbo freq. is active.
  • The cabinet body near exhaust fan is only slight warm instead of HOT when touched by bare hands considering 80°C outputs from CPU heatsink. Before with FX 6300 under game load, temps use to be around 65°C-70°C which made the cabinet very-very hot to touch. One can feel the radiation from FX platform but this is intel is not suppose to run that hot.
  • Whats wrong here? Screenshot for reference.

Idel with 8 chrome tabs.

1653216319187.png

Under game load. Note the usage variation amove each core of the processor. Thats is 76°C with 38% usage at 28 watts only. turbo is on hence Freq. is 3.67 GHz.

1653216351336.png

Under CPU burner load. Why the hell there are so many spikes under load. Is it CPU throtteling?

1653216490908.png

Please help in here. Thanks :)

quicky008

Technomancer
readings provided by these sensors may not be accurate.I have seen readings of upto 100 C in HW monitor while attempting to check temps in a zebronics g41 mainboard,even though it was working perfectly fine and didn't manifest any symptoms of overheating. Use other utilities like HWinfo etc and check if you get such unusual readings in those or not.

your cpu is most likely throttling under high temps and thats why you are witnessing these weird spikes in windows performance monitor.Are you using stock intel cooler?IF yes discard it and get a decent aftermarket cooler as recommended by other members in earlier posts .

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am getting confused here. Something on my motherboard is getting very hot underload WRT to the intel platform.

For reference, the CPU is i7 4770 | 22nm | 4 Cores-8 Threads | Base Freq. 3.40 GHz, Turbo Freq. 3.90 GHz | TDP - 84W | Socket- LGA 1150 | T_Case- 72.72°C |
MotherBoard - Gigabyte GA GA-H81M-S (rev. 1.0)
RAM - Kingston HyperX DDR3
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212x
Cabinet - Some Corsair Cabinet, 2x 120mm Intake Fans, 1x 120mm Exhaust Fan Overhead right above Horizontally install CPU heatsink.

Setup -
  • As per SPEEDFAN monitoring utility, some TEMP3 sensor is getting hot under load.
  • The load I applied here is CPU Burner (Furmark) running at 8 Threads (Default) and Battlefield V on Ultra settings.
  • Monitoring is done through Speedfan and MSI Afterburned OSD telemetry

Concern :-
  • As mentioned above, ONLY Temp3 is 38°C on idle and 85ish °C on full load by CPU burner. WHAT IS TEMP3? Is this the actual cumulative temperature of CPU or what as all other sensors seem good and cool under load and in ideal conditions?
  • In-Game (I have only installed Battlefield V) again this is the same sensor getting hot. So I enabled all CPU OSD and the load is not even 100% to justify the rise as the game is only using 35-45% of CPU..
  • There is also much variation in each CPU usage like all cores are not equally active in running game whereas older FX6300 use to provide balance output from all 6 cores.
  • IF it is the CPU that is getting hot (there is raise in CPU fan RPM also) there should also be enough power draw but its below 30watts instead of say 75 watts or even 80 if turbo freq. is active.
  • The cabinet body near exhaust fan is only slight warm instead of HOT when touched by bare hands considering 80°C outputs from CPU heatsink. Before with FX 6300 under game load, temps use to be around 65°C-70°C which made the cabinet very-very hot to touch. One can feel the radiation from FX platform but this is intel is not suppose to run that hot.
  • Whats wrong here? Screenshot for reference.

Idel with 8 chrome tabs.

View attachment 21510

Under game load. Note the usage variation amove each core of the processor. Thats is 76°C with 38% usage at 28 watts only. turbo is on hence Freq. is 3.67 GHz.

View attachment 21511

Under CPU burner load. Why the hell there are so many spikes under load. Is it CPU throtteling?

View attachment 21512

Please help in here. Thanks :)

This is the reason :

" I lost the CPU Cooler Standoffs nuts so have to use some jugaadh like cable ties in order to keep the cooler on place with some retain force on CPU die "

either get a new cooler or find those cpu cooler stand offs / screws. Your processor is throttling because of of increased temp. Use Hwinfo for more accurate temp readings.

OP
toshar

toshar

New to this forum
This is the reason :

just get a new cooler-you can even reuse it if you decide to upgrade your setup later.

CPU throttling issue rectified. The problem was with the cable ties which got stretched and retained the shape in response to the surrounding heat produced by the processor. The heatsink might have toppled cost of weak cantilever support eventually loosing complete contact with the processor die.

Solution :- Took me 2 weeks to search on internet (There are many around the world with lost standoffs) for the standoffs dimension and thread diameter and the only option I had to either get Cooler Master AM4 kit (just for the standoffs) or get them made by 3D printer (Not a lifelong sollution). Eventually I found a RC hobbyists dealing in UAV stuff and they use several standoffs and spacer to mount PCBs on frames. Got 4x 15mm female-female standoffs + M3 8mm bolts and washers for INR 193. :) Much cheaper sollution.

Results - Stable performance, No spikes under full load. Max temps reached ~59°C only with Deepcool G40 thermal paste. (Previously it was 40 rupee cheap paste).

Before - The Jugaadh which worked for couple of days.

1655469098496.jpeg

15mm StandOffs with Allen M3 Screws. Made custom insulators using shrink tubes. They failed so replaces them with old ATM cutouts.

1655469153904.jpeg

Complete Installation

1655469302223.jpeg

Temperatures under load

1655469427568.png

Thanks to all for suggestions and support. :)

Top Bottom