(Small form factor) HTPC-like components in 10k [urgent]

libertine

Right off the assembly line
Longtime lurker, first-time rig-config. [EDIT to reduce confusion :oops:]

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Majorly I need a motherboard, a processor, RAM, BASIC graphics capability and a (preferably small form factor) cabinet for an HTPC which should be able to run 1080p video without getting stressed. MS Office, Google Chrome, and other bread-and-butter PC work, of course. [SUB][EDIT : Removed this because it might be confusing : Light gaming capability in today’s situation, but] [/SUB]Ideally should run older games without hiccups (older means something like GTA San Andreas). I’m partial to AMD APUs and INTEL HD onboard, but I’m no expert.
Maybe there's a readymade box like this? Please enlighten.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 10k ( since I have the remains of a Pentium III machine) OR upto 12k to accommodate a good small form factor case. Again, if this is an impossible machine in this budget, I’ll consider options.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Maybe, later.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8.1 or 7 x64 ideally or at least Windows 8.1 or 7 x32 (Ult)

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: None, I have an older hard disk

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I have 2 FHD TVs and a still functional VGA monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I have a DVD drive, an old VGA monitor, TVs that support HDMI, keyboard and mouse, an old (I think IDE interfaced) 80GB hard disk (c.2004 I think)and a local cabinet that I got with the Pentium III config 13 years ago, so not sure how useful it would be. Yeah I’m on a tight budget here sorry. If(when) something fails, I’ll replace it.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP. I need it to replace a laptop that was being home-(ab)used.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I’m a novice with assembling, but I have a friend who assembles PCs

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Kerala. I may buy from Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai or online shops if prices are justified, and if they can deliver before August 2. (hardly 2 weeks)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: 1. USB3 ports are essential.
2. The system should run really cool on stock cooling. ( even at the cost of a performance hit. In other words, given the choice, I’d opt for a cooler, durable system against a slightly better performing one.)
3. I’d love it if the system could sit in a small form factor and not look like a bulky replacement for the laptop. Hence the small form factor obsession.

Last edited:

loktar

Broken In
1. AMD 3.7 GHz FM2 A4-6300 Processor @ Rs. 2908/- @ flipkart
2. Msi Fm2-a55m-e33 Motherboard @ Rs. 3,549 @ Rediffshopping
3. Corsair value select DDR3 4 GB 1600 Mhz @ Rs 2822/- @ flipkart
4. Circle Micro Series PC Cabinet Lil Red @ Rs. 2,350 @ ebay.in

Total : 11,629 /-

Check for prices locally in any metro city, you may get lower prices .

- - - Updated - - -

The IDE Optical Disk Drive and Hard Drive is incompatible with majority of new motherboards.So either get IDE to SATA converters (not recommended) or You may want to stretch the budget by 4-5 k and get a new sata ODD and HDD as well.

OP
L

libertine

Right off the assembly line
1. AMD 3.7 GHz FM2 A4-6300 Processor @ Rs. 2908/- @ flipkart
2. Msi Fm2-a55m-e33 Motherboard @ Rs. 3,549 @ Rediffshopping

I checked flipkart reviews of the a4-6300 and its onboard graphics capability is actually (can't believe I'm saying this) more than I need. 'll just update the original post now to reflect the requirement.

Here's the laptop it will replace, for perspective.
Laptop config.JPG

I want the new htpc to match this old laptop in gaming capabilities, but exceed it in computing power as much as the budget will allow. Same games, but breezier programs. That's the idea for now. I
Later, if I want, I should be able pair a decent graphics card with it and not be bottlenecked much. Something like maybe the Pentium G3258? Of course if there are better options, again, please do suggest.

Top Bottom