Simple and compact PC for home in and around 10K(HTPC)

saiki4116

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:It is for my Parents, they don't know a thing about a computer, I plan to teach them basic use and to make a skype call.My Brothers are studying Engineering and could potentially use for casual browsing and Office applications, when they are at home during Holidays( They both do have a Samsung Series 5 laptops). Potentially XBMC/Myth TV.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:10K(Not sure.if it can be done in less, it's still better, I have not used PC that much(always Laptops) and not have any clue, How much performance a core2 Duo would give, but I guess we cannot apply the laptop processor knowledge to Desktop processors).

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Xubuntu/Manjaro/Elementary/any Newbie Friendly Linux Distribution.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:500GB/1TB. Pretty Flexible about Storage.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:Tata Sky forced us to upgrade Set Top Box to HD, At present there is a sansui Flatron, I am planning to replace it with a Good LCD/LED TV and take advantage of HD Set Top Box. I am Planning to use this TV as Monitor.If you guys know any Hack regarding controlling TataSky using XBMC/Myth TV, it could potentially avoid constant changing HDMI outputs on TV :p

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:I am not in a hurry, may be in 3-4 months down the lane. I have never assembled a PC before and not used PC that much(always used my Laptop), So I want to have a proper idea before jumping the gun

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:No, but I plan to build this PC on my own(It could help me in assembling my PC, when my current laptop dies :D)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Bangalore, But my parents live in Vijayawada. Online is Preferable.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:I would Like the casing as compact as possible(with DVD writer) and don't want to build this with a regular MID sized tower. I would compromise on expansion capability for size as I don't want this to be power packed PC, but just enough for Multimedia and Light usage. What are your thoughts on Bare Bones PC approach(Generally they pack Atom or Laptop processor)..? Are they over priced for the performance they offer. Linux Friendly(as I wont have a graphic card, I guess it wont be a big Head ache).

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
pentium g2020 -3.6k
gigabyte h61 s1 - 3k
corsair value select 2gb - 1.5k
wd blue 500gb - 3.2k
asus odd - 1k
local cabinet with psu - 1k
logitech k/b and mouse - 0.6k

OP
S

saiki4116

Broken In
pentium g2020 -3.6k
gigabyte h61 s1 - 3k
corsair value select 2gb - 1.5k
wd blue 500gb - 3.2k
asus odd - 1k
local cabinet with psu - 1k
logitech k/b and mouse - 0.6k

Thanks..What are your thoughts on AMD A4-4000..?
I have been googling for the cases. I have found one
*www.theitdepot.com/product_quick_view.html?q=16738
but this is a little bit costly, and if the integrated PSU fails, it would be a issue. I am willing to spend more for compact case and a good PSU. Anyone could suggest a cabinet of that size.

OP
S

saiki4116

Broken In
Thanks...
What is your thoughts on AMD A4-4000..?
I have been checking for compact HTPC cases. I have found this
*www.theitdepot.com/product_quick_view.html?q=16738
but this is bit on costlier side and comes with non-replaceable PSU. If anyone came across a good and cost effective case of that size, Please share.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
pentium g2020 is good for you.
get antec bp300p psu at 1.9k and a antec nsk4440 at 1.35k. it is more than enough. you dont need such a costly case.

OP
S

saiki4116

Broken In
I have googled NSK 4440 case, it's coming with power supply right..?
Do you mean this case Antec NSK 4400 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Newegg.com ?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I have googled NSK 4440 case, it's coming with power supply right..?
Do you mean this case Antec NSK 4400 Black/ Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Newegg.com ?

cabinet +psu costs more. the cabinet without psu is 1.35k. check here
Buy Online Antec NSK4400 ATX Cabinet With 120mm fan (With out PSU) in india .ask them the price/ it was 1.3k or so.

OP
S

saiki4116

Broken In
Thanks for your suggestion.
Yaa..You are right spending more on a case than on a processor is not so wise, it's the processor that runs the show.
I was going through for HTPC without PSU(and supporting standard ATX PSU)cases on PcpartPicker website and the cheapest I found is about 40$~2400INR and most at 60$~3600INR. I have found a few on Amazon.in but they cost 10K here and same thing amazon.com costs 3.6K..:shock:
I have found a zebronics case also somewhere for around 2400, but you can't trust their build quality. Any how I would be doing it in about few months, Hope the demand for this type of cases increases and they come at a reasonable price(Being Too optmistic.. :p).

Top Bottom