Shud i ignore Vista's recomendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg_3000

Broken In
Guys, My primary partition (C: ) is jus 10GB in size.. I'm thinking abt trying out the Vista RTM.. I'm plannng to try out the Ultimate Edition (x64)..

Microsoft's Vista Upgrade Advisor says that i need to hav 15 GB free space on my primary partition.. There's no way i can afford 15 GB in any other partiotion.. So, shud i merge/resize my C: with D: ?? Or shud i ignore it and proceed with the installation (Will it allow me 2 do that?)?

Like in XP, can i Install Programs in another partition? Also My Documents can be relocated?? In that way, would my 10 GB partition be sufficient?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
I install Vista Ultimate 32 bit in 9.76 GB partition and left 2 GB (apprx).
Software Install:-
Opera,Avast,Nero 7 Premium,VLC Media Player.

After that 1.89 GB remain free.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
(Will it allow me 2 do that?)?

it will... :)

after installation move the page file to any other partition also reconfigure the path for Documents and Temp folder to other free partitions... :) by this mean u can free up a little space...

Vista needs to have good config.. and u should stick with recomended... how ever recomended isnt the minimum... so when required u can go well bellow recomended... :))

shantanu

Technomancer
DONOT INSTALL VISTA UNDER 10GB PLEASE FOR GOD SAKE LET YOUR SYSTEM BREATHE YOU SHOULD GIVE IT ATLEAst 20 GB ... DO NOT TAKE CHANCES AND NEVER COPY YOUR PF TO ANOTHER DRIVE IT HMPERS PERFORMANCES

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
@gg_3000. You can install Vista on a 10GB partition.

You can install apps on a different partition

But each app puts some data in system root directory. As the number of app's installed increases, so does the amount of space used. This is why Microsoft has recommended 15GB for Vista. More over you have to deal with temp space.

so, It's better to use a 15GB partition for Vista.

G

gxsaurav

with windows vista RTM, u need 15 GB partition to install it, however after installing depending on your hardware & the softwares u chose to install, it will come down to 8GB

In my case, vista rtm takes about 7.5 GB out of 15 GB, with Vista, many apps which i use install, still 7.5 GB is left

This size included 1 GB Pagefile, & since it's dualboot i disabled hibernation

OP
gg_3000

gg_3000

Broken In
Thanx guys for u'r replies.. I hav successfully installed Vista in my 10 GB partition!

Then i moved Page File to another partiotion.. Also, before installing other apps, i've moved prog files, temp and common files to another partition!

Now There's so much free space.. i dunno wat 2 do wit it?? LOL :D

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
after sometime you will say, i donno wat 2 do to make some more space available on primary partition. :)

Just kidding mate. You have to clean clean clean and clean all the time with that space

shaunak

Tux Fan
We are [i hope] running the legal beta version.

Dont know bout the 64bit version but i installed the 32bit version on a 10 Gb partition earlier. Just be carefull to install all apps on another drive, and windows should still run fine.
But doing so makes windows terrible slow and there is virtualy no space left for updates.

Imm now running it on a 20Gb partition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom