Should I trade in an i7 for an A10?

ads295

Right off the assembly line
Hello all.
I am currently using an ASUS K55VM-SX086D. A friend of mine is looking to buy a new laptop and I can sell this one to him for about 42K. I was thinking of buying this:
Lenovo Essential G505s (59-380146) Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 8GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph) Rs.40458 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G505s (59-380146) Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 8GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph) Midnight Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart

What do you think? The reason I bought my current laptop is because of the Core i7 CPU. I realised later that processors are overrated and that graphics cards are the ones that should be looked at.
The one I mentioned above seems to have a powerful graphics solution - better than the nVidia GT630M in my current laptop, in any case.
What do you say? Should I sell this one and buy that? I have an AMD desktop at home and it's never given me problems, I feel sad to see that most people blindly buy Intel.
Objective answers only please - there's no space for Intel OR AMD fanboys here.
Thanks! :)
Aditya

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hello all.
I am currently using an ASUS K55VM-SX086D. A friend of mine is looking to buy a new laptop and I can sell this one to him for about 42K. I was thinking of buying this:
Lenovo Essential G505s (59-380146) Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 8GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph) Rs.40458 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G505s (59-380146) Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 8GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph) Midnight Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart

What do you think? The reason I bought my current laptop is because of the Core i7 CPU. I realised later that processors are overrated and that graphics cards are the ones that should be looked at.
The one I mentioned above seems to have a powerful graphics solution - better than the nVidia GT630M in my current laptop, in any case.
What do you say? Should I sell this one and buy that? I have an AMD desktop at home and it's never given me problems, I feel sad to see that most people blindly buy Intel.
Aditya

Who told you that ATI 8570 is better than GT 630M? A lot of people just look at the amount of graphics memory and decide which GPU is superior and which is inferior. Unfortunately this is not the case. Don't expect the Lenovo one to max out all games just because it has 2.5GB graphics memory. Games will run in lower settings because of possible CPU bottleneck(but I doubt it will occur at such low end) The Graphic card of the Lenovo Essential G505s is at par if not inferior to the GT 630m. Core i7 is still better than A10. Now if you wanna earn 1.5k INR and lose bragging rights+the better laptop+the better graphic card then you can go ahead with the deal.

TL;DR
No.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello all.

Aditya

630M is definitely a relic, not even a 100 I7's can make it run any game fluently.

"I realised later that processors are overrated and that graphics cards are the ones that should be looked at."

Atlast !, someone realized the truth !.People on this forum seem to be too obsessed with "I7 Proccy's".

Regardless, the laptop you are thinking of getting has a 8580G+8570M, this setup though more powerful than the 630M is still quite weak.

I would suggest putting in extra 1K and getting this(If you are strictly on a budget)

Acer Aspire E1-572G Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) (NX.M8JSI.002) Rs.43999 Price in India - Buy Acer Aspire E1-572G Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) (NX.M8JSI.002) Black Online - Acer: Flipkart.com

4200U+8750M>>> 3rd Gen I7 +630M when it comes to games because 8750M>>>8580G+8570M>>630M

Cheers!
Abhijit

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
630M is definitely a relic, not even a 100 I7's can make it run any game fluently.

"I realised later that processors are overrated and that graphics cards are the ones that should be looked at."

Atlast !, someone realized the truth !.People on this forum seem to be too obsessed with "I7 Proccy's".

Regardless, the laptop you are thinking of getting has a 8580G+8570M, this setup though more powerful than the 630M is still quite weak.

I would suggest putting in extra 1K and getting this(If you are strictly on a budget)

Acer Aspire E1-572G Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) (NX.M8JSI.002) Rs.43999 Price in India - Buy Acer Aspire E1-572G Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) (NX.M8JSI.002) Black Online - Acer: Flipkart.com

4200U+8750M>>> 3rd Gen I7 +630M when it comes to games because 8750M>>>8580G+8570M>>630M

Cheers!
Abhijit

Gt 630m is at par with 8570m

AMD Radeon HD 8570M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

and WTH core i5 U processor :lol:
that's trash for gaming.
Gonna bottleneck games HARD.
core i5 u is equivalent to core i3 m.
No need to trade a perfectly good core i7 for a trash core i3 equivalent.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
"8750M not 8570M"

AMD Radeon HD 8750M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

and yes despite of having a ULV I5 the acer laptop will give better performance in games due to the stronger GPU

Here is a review of the laptop

*www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-E1-572G-54204G75Mnkk-Notebook.99958.0.html

OP
A

ads295

Right off the assembly line
Okay, I remember checking up on Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News - NotebookCheck.net but somehow I didn't find the 630M. Good thing you pointed that out, thanks! Though I didn't ever think RAM in GPUs is ANY indication of graphics performance though - I always wince when most people proudly proclaim "Bought i7 with 2GB graphics card!".
But since we're on that site, shouldn't we be checking out this:
AMD Radeon HD 8650G + HD 8570M Dual Graphics - NotebookCheck.net Tech
?

Also, the Acer laptop mentioned has an 8750M, not an 8570M:

Which is far ahead of the other two, I'd say. That said, 4GB RAM seems a bit low for Windows 8, and on top of that it's a FullHD screen! That i5U will definitely struggle on 4GB RAM with 1080p AND some demanding games. What say?

Now that I'm reading about these micro stuttering issues on asymmetric Crossfire configs on laptops, I'm not so sure...

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay, I remember checking up on Notebook / Laptop Reviews and News - NotebookCheck.net but somehow I didn't find the 630M. Good thing you pointed that out, thanks! Though I didn't ever think RAM in GPUs is ANY indication of graphics performance though - I always wince when most people proudly proclaim "Bought i7 with 2GB graphics card!".
?

Which is far ahead of the other two, I'd say. That said, 4GB RAM seems a bit low for Windows 8, and on top of that it's a FullHD screen! That i5U will definitely struggle on 4GB RAM with 1080p AND some demanding games. What say?

Now that I'm reading about these micro stuttering issues on asymmetric Crossfire configs on laptops, I'm not so sure...

I don't think that laptop has an FHD screen, its a typo in flipkart.The 4 GB RAM is borderline sufficient, but RAM can always be upgraded.Its your best choice if you want to stay relevant for the next 2-3 years.

Review here

Review Acer Aspire E1-572G-54204G75Mnkk Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

Cheers!
Abhijit

I was referring to this.

But looking at this:-

I can say that it is indeed more powerful than the GT 630m.

?

I am a fellow dual graphics solution user and I can that sometimes the micro-stuttering gets real bad. It can occur at any part of the game and at anytime. When it occurs, both the GPUs only use 70% of their power. It usually occurs in poorly optimized console to PC games (AC IV Black Flag is a good example). Crysis 3 never micro stutters.

Also a good CPU is required for CPU intensive games like Crysis 3( can use upto 8 cores) and BF 4(most CPU intensive game ever). Usually FPS games are more CPU intensive. You will also want to let CPU handle physx(idk if this is possible in AMD or not) to untap the full potential of your dual GPUs.

Also Crossfire/SLI really only works well when you are playing games in full screen mode.

Never forget to update drivers and you are game ready for Crossfire.

I think this one should perform better than the acer one.

*www.flipkart.com/toshiba-satellite...raph/p/itmdqggthtd58guz?pid=COMDQGGSDQKBDTNF&

Aakarshan

In the zone
It can't play CRYSIS 3 and BF 3 what are you trying to make of it.GT 630M is far superior better than 8650G + 8570M.
It's your money if u wan to waste it, it's your choice.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
any dual configuration from AMD is plain hopeless. On paper they might seem good ... but when it comes to performance ... they are pretty useless. Stick to your i7 or extend your budget to buy a Z500/Z510

Hrishi

No . I7 will dance circles around A10 , but you will not notice it in day to day use. Run a VMware and see it for yourself.

While gaming is concerned , more and more games are being optimized to efficiently use more cores. Thus I7 will give a better edge.

630 is not that weak compared to what you are trying to buy. Go for a I7+650m combo if you are able to get one. They will be great since 650,m can be heavily over clocked.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
No . I7 will dance circles around A10 , but you will not notice it in day to day use. Run a VMware and see it for yourself.

While gaming is concerned , more and more games are being optimized to efficiently use more cores. Thus I7 will give a better edge.

630 is not that weak compared to what you are trying to buy. Go for a I7+650m combo if you are able to get one. They will be great since 650,m can be heavily over clocked.

I think that's out of his budget, i7+650m I mean. OP hasn't replied so I guess he has already made his decision.

I am a dual solution user, with a 2 year old HP G6 2005ax on A8-4500 1.9Ghz with HD7640M+7670G with 512MB DDR3
I can play some really nicely coded games like Tomb Raider 2013 at native res+low res. I can bump to medium but lose framerates during explosion scenes. Some other AAA titles like DMC,Crysis 2, Sleeping Dogs and Metal Gear Revengeance runs great at high-medium settings with 2-4x AA on...no lags or hiccups. Asian game developers ROCK!!

However some games simply refuse to be playable, such as
1) Battlefield 3 (i dare not try battlefield 4)
2) NFS Rivals
3) Ghost Recon Future Soldier (i played the last mission with 10-15fps,on a gamepad >_< )
4) Gone Away (yea a simple drabby story based adventure game)
5) Assasins Creed 4 Black Flag
and many more...

The thing with these games is that whether i play at 1366X768 with HIGH or 800x600 with LOW, i get the same stuttering and low frame rates. At first i was raging on Frostbyte Engine but as i play more and more newer games i kinda see that AMD really messed up with their A Series TRINITY bullcr@p.

I was never a fan of AMD, nor of the CrossfireX gimmick, but seeing that this laptop was worth Rs33,000, i had no other choice but to get it. Heck i payed only Rs33k, i shouldn't even be complaining at all Lol :D

On a side note, check this baby-
HP Pavilion 15-N204TX Laptop (4th Generation Intel Dual Core i5-4200U- 4GB RAM- 500GB HDD- 15.6 Inches Screen- Ubuntu Linux 1.1- 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M) (HP Imprint Sparkling Black with Micro Dot Pattern) - Buy Online @ Best Price | Snapdeal.com
HP Pavilion 15-N204TX Laptop (4th Generation Intel Dual Core i5-4200U- 4GB RAM- 500GB HDD- 15.6 Inches Screen- Ubuntu Linux 1.1- 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M) ONLY RS 40,000

geek_rocker

Broken In
Hello all.

Aditya

Dude I was thinking of buying the laptop you have because of the Asus's build quality. What is your experience with the laptop so far? Does it overheat? And how is the keyboard and the webcam?

Top Bottom