Should I Shift to Ubuntu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Hi
Its been more than a year I used Ubuntu/...Have some problem with my current distro.. Didn't have Windows so can't use alternative..Have few questions please answer..

1. I have problem in playing HD video of mkv format.. Will I get latest ati drivers from Ubuntu repso ?

sudo apt-get install fglrx ?

2 I have problem in setting my resolution.. Even the xorg.conf [in my previous Ubuntu 64bit installtion] didn't show resolutions ? I will post the output after installing…

3. There's no proble in application front but have one question.. Have you guys faced any problem playng mkv [hd] format with VLC ? I am getting error.. No mp4a drivers for vlc no solution can't be fixed...

4. Rest I know a lot bout Buntu's so won't have any problem.. The only problem with hardware is that I can't get my resolution and headphone working out of the box in Ubuntu..

Though haven't tried headphone in it. Most of the currently used [latest] distro didn't give audio output through it..

Please do help me

Regards

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
What is your current distro? And of all the problems you mention, i don't think any of them applies to recent Ubuntu versions. Also, for playing HD or any other files for that matter, get SMPlayer.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^hmm... Mandriva and Slackware,

Was hesitating in installing SMplayer as its a QT fronted.. Nonetheless.. It also didn't provide audio output..

Last edited:
OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Except XBMC none of them giving audio output while playing 1080p version naruto shippuuden mkv format..

vamsi360

Always confused
no dude........prefer fedora and join the documentation project....
If you get enough experience in fedora attend RHCE....
Ubuntu is seriously for low to mid new linux users

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
no dude........prefer fedora and join the documentation project....
If you get enough experience in fedora attend RHCE....
Ubuntu is seriously for low to mid new linux users

Umm...What?
Ubuntu targeting novice users has nothing to do with it being "seriously low". Ubuntu has tons of resources and programs in its repos to be a fairly advanced OS.
They only advantage, Fedora has I think is since it's a Red Hat Community effort, it would be useful in learning for getting RedHat certifications.
But for certification preparation, one should use CentOS I think.

@OP:
(1) Ubuntu doesn't give you latest drivers via repos IIRC. However it is quite simple to install Catalyst drivers manually.
(2) Use aticonfig to set up resolution.
(3) Dunno about that. Totem played a 720p AVI flawlessly when I tried in Ubuntu.
(4) Um...about the headphone. It could have been possible you have disabled the headphone in volume control. (I did the same once)

You could alternatively consider OpenSUSE also.

What is your current distro? And of all the problems you mention, i don't think any of them applies to recent Ubuntu versions. Also, for playing HD or any other files for that matter, get SMPlayer.

Naa it does ..... I could nt set my resolutions higher than 1024*768 in Ibex ..... I tried a few workarounds suggested to me by guys from the Ubuntu forums ,but those were unsucesfull ..... I always use higher rez in xp so i do know that my monitor does support higher rez .....
Will post the details in another thread ... need some help with it ....

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
@Anurag : I know what you said .. Also when I plug my headphone into back port [in which I plugged my speakers it works] but it didn't work in any distro if it is plugged in front usb [but worked in Windows]...that I don't have now,,,

The main reason I am thinking Ubuntu is because of plethora of apps.. Afaik Fedora doesn't even have Virtualbox in repos..

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Ubuntu played the 1080p file Hitman movie (gotta love Olga in the movie) flawlessly.. that file was also .mkv file.. but if you need more control over the HD files.. shift to VLC player so that you can adjust the aspect ratio..

@vamsi +1111 due.. exactly right.. Fedora & OpenSUSE are one of the most advanced Linux distros...

How about jumping to OpenSUSE.. its awesome.. and the 11.1 is the best release yet..

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
IMO, CoreAVC codec is best for mkv files with H264 high definition videos. It works much better than any hardware drivers.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Any distro should play mkv in any video player with the proper codecs installed. No idea about ATi drivers.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Will try it soon.. On Headphone.. Any workaround.. I can't play music using my headphones if it is pluuged into the front usb whie it works in Vista.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Show a screenshot of the volume-control with all those options, mics, jacks, fronts etc.. IT will generally be there itself, you have to line up the proper settings, like input of one as the output of another.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Drop by IRC now.

==> server: irc.freenode.net ==> channel: #think-digit

Use Xchat or mibbit.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom