Should I remove Sata 2 jumper???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Config in my signature , all my drives are sata 2 & they have a jumper, will removing them increase the transfer speed?

I read somewhere that jumper is meant to make it sata1, removing it will make it sata 2.Before doing it I just want to confirm.

I checked that my mobo supports sata 2 with 3gb/s there are some other bios setting (AHCI mode) which I guess I may have to do in order to get the best (faster) out of my disk.

Last edited:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
ranjan2001 said:
Config in my signature , all my drives are sata 2 & they have a jumper, will removing them increase the transfer speed?

I read somewhere that jumper is meant to make it sata1, removing it will make it sata 2.Before doing it I just want to confirm.

I checked that my mobo supports sata 2 with 3gb/s there are some other bios setting (AHCI mode) which I guess I may have to do in order to get the best (faster) out of my disk.

If you have both a SATAII hard drive and a SATAII controller ur bound to get
SATA-II speed...

So far as jumpers, SATA drives tend to not have jumpers at all. I've seen some with jumper locks, but they're usually for factory purposes and not user-configurable.

Last edited:

abhijangda

Padawan
I am using seagate 160gb sata1 hdd but i didn't find any jumper. I think that they were only for old ide/ata drive. If you have ide drive then removing jumpers will make it slave.

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
ranjan2001 said:

hey u have to remove the jumper to work it in SATAII mode else it will work on 1.5g/sec thats is SATA I. i have SATA II drives.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sysfilez said:
hey u have to remove the jumper to work it in SATAII mode else it will work on 1.5g/sec thats is SATA I. i have SATA II drives.
Yes my bench marking utility is showing me 150 in the test results, it should be 300 in this case.
&
245 for 250gb hdd.

Itst still not reaching 300 as it should, what is the bottleneck now?

My mobo surely supports it but in the bios when I set Configure sata as AHCI, XP does not boot, though the bios dedect it as AHCI devices on port 0 & port1, as of now sata is configured as IDE, is that the bottleneck?

Do I need to reinstall xp for doing that?

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
But why not?
Care to share some more light on the subject.
I have all the hardware latest & compatible, then why cant I d it.

assasin

Banned
^^^ cuz 300 is the max theoritcal speed reachable by a sata II hdd.the actual speed reached by a drive will always be less than that fig.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I think it should come around 280-290.
I read on asus forum that I need intel drivers & enable AHCI in bios to get full sata 2 3gb/s, but for some reason I cant get that enabled, XP does not boot if I do so &I cant find drivers on asus Cd which should be thee but they dont show when I update driver list.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
what image should I post?
This artical makes me belive that I need AHCI enabled then I will have higher burst rate.
*www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/624/

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
As far as I have heard, Seagate needs jumper change to make it SATA II since almost all drives are supplied as SATA I.
My Hitachi 80 GB SATA II was received 1.5 years back as SATA I and I had to flash it with a utility called Hitachi feature tool to make it SATA II. Then it was correctly recognized and the max shown as 3 Gbps. It is only the theoretical limit and what I am getting is about 60 Gbps which I feel is realistic.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Yes I removed the jumper & then had to update the AHCI driver & reboot so the change in BIOS can also be made , after that now its running fine in AHCI mode.

Why AHCI?

AHCI stands for Advanced Host Controller Interface. One of the main reasons for switching to AHCI-mode is to take advantage of the NCQ-Feature of your SATA harddrive. NCQ (Native Command Queuing) allows ATA drives to accept more than one command at a time and dynamically reorder the commands for maximum efficiency. NCQ, when used in conjunction with a hard drive that supports NCQ, can increase storage performance on random workloads.

gg_3000

Broken In
ranjan2001 said:
But why not?
Care to share some more light on the subject.
I have all the hardware latest & compatible, then why cant I d it.
The Hard Disk Temperature is also a cause for concern.. Under higher temperatures, HDDs tend to be slower..
Also, one of my frnd used to say that connecting 2 or more SATA HDD to the mobo will cause decrease in the throughput.. But I dont agree wit it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom