Should I go for this Sony DVD Burner ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
I was following all the lively discussion in the thread " Whether to upgrade to a DVD-Writer"......

But people have given varied reactions & nobody has discussed the qualitative performance of the drives ... :)

So posting this as a seperate thread... :wink:

I am going in for a DVD Writer.And have come to the opinion that this Sony DVD Burner ie DRU 800A is the best...

Please see the specs here -

*www.sonyburners.com/products/product_detail.php?ID=116679333

The cost quoted by my dealer is Rs 4250/- . Is it justified ?

Even so please tell me what I should do , and also tell me of any other good Drives from LG/LiteON ..

Actually Samsung drives are economically quite affordable but in terms of quality & performance they suck big time... So not going in for a Samsung.. :lol:

Hoping for guidance from all of you... :wink:

crashuniverse

In the zone
well see sony drives r really trusted one my friend has been using it. so i can say on the basis of experience its a worth buy.

the price depends locally so discussin on forum can give a vague idea only nothin more than that. anyways i havent current price with me.

samsung is never recomended as i hate its tray. its tray is made to go crazy n die in 6 months time :(

mohit

The Hardware Labs
sony is fast,reliable,quiet,problem free ... using sony drives only ..go for it. the price u r getting it for is a bit too high .. try checking other dealers and try getting it from a Rashi Peripherals dealer/distributor.

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Sony DRU-800A is a rebadged Lite-on SOHW-1693S.

The price quoted by your dealer is correct. If you go for Lite-on you may save 300-500 bucks..........

q3_abhi

Youngling
Ya , SONY is the first choice. N the price mentioned by ur dealer is correct. I think u must go for SONY.
Or even LG n ASUS ones are good(second choice).

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Wow dood if you get that pls tell me coz I also want to buy one maybe we both can buy together. Try Sujata Computers and also S-Tech from Shivajinagar. Dunno more about dealers but u can also tryout Data Care Corporation.

Scorpion

Journeyman
Sony DVD Burner is really good... Samsung ones are very erratic... I don't know if the samsung piece my uncle got is defective.. but the DVD's it burns have many errors and some of them refuse to play on other DVD drives. Used Nero 6.
On the other hand my friend's Sony is very good... though its relatively new and burned only a few Discs, all of them are working fine. And no problem at all.
Go for a Sony!

expertno.1

Technomancer
yeah thats true dude but LITE-ON is a new competitior of SONY (if u leave the sales service)

and low in price than sony

OP
abhishekkulkarni

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
@djmykey

Yes I checked out Sujata Computers today.They are offering it for 4600/-.Don't know why it's so costly there.... :eek: :eek:
And isn't Data Care Corporation nothing but MKCL ? Do tell me where their showroom/office is.I will surely go there and check out some writers.I have heard that they retail all computer hardware at dead cheap rates.But never heard anybody recommending them,so I am apprehensive about it.

While the dealer who offered it to me for Rs 4250/- is the one whom I bought my PC from.So I trust him completely.

The man actually told me while buying my PC that a Riva TNT 2 ia a " DISGUSTING BULL*HIT " card. :p :p

Even now a lot of dealers tell my friends & relatives to buy a Riva TNT ... :p :p Don't know why... :shock:

Anyway not to veer away from the subject ...

@mohit

Where can I find a Rashi Peripherals dealer in Pune ? A Telephone No or an email address will do.. :)

@shivaranjan.b

Yes I know Lite-on SOHW-1693S is a rebadged Sony DRU 800A.. :)

But the fact why I am not going for it is that Lite-on has only one service Centre in the Pune Region & that too is in the Koregaon Park area which is almost 35/40 KM from where I reside... :(

Dipen01

Youngling
well... to be accurate..

4th floor
Above Barista (MG road)

after reaching fourth floor.. dont ask for Rashi peripherals.. ask for R.P.Tech.. coz here its recognised by this name...

Dipen

EDIT: oh am sorry.. i thought u wanna personally go there.. i didnt know u just want correspondence... so i posted...

djmykey

Let the music play.....
DCC is in a building behind Deccan Bus Depot which is in front of Deccan Theatre which is near Garware Triangular Pool(Bridge). Go from the lane in front of bus depot and before u hit the slope which goes down turn a left there u might see a board saying DCC, or just follow the wall of the bus depot and u'll be there.

hittheswitch

Self-Obsession
Hey there,
Sony is recommended by me too but what i feel is that LG DVD-Writer is a much better choice.2 of my friend own Sony and 3 (Including me) own LG. LG acc. to me is better than Sony. I'll serch the net and post what all advantages doe a LG drive has over Sony.
Right now there are few advantages that i would like you to consider:-

Price :- LG - Rs.3600
Sony - Rs.4200
After Sale Service : LG - Best
Sony - Good ( Depnds upon the type of people they have employed)

DVD media issues are there with Sony DVD writers.My friend bought Net-star DVD media from US ( 16x ). Sony's DVD writer (16x) was only able to write at a speed of 8x whereas LG worked fine.

Adios
Dirtydignity

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
I myself own a Sony DVD writer.....and m really happy with its performance.....It's actually a good buy given its price......it cost around 3600 to me...

Charley

Just Do It
abhishekkulkarni said:
I was following all the lively discussion in the thread " Whether to upgrade to a DVD-Writer"......

But people have given varied reactions & nobody has discussed the qualitative performance of the drives ... :)

So posting this as a seperate thread... :wink:

I am going in for a DVD Writer.And have come to the opinion that this Sony DVD Burner ie DRU 800A is the best...

Please see the specs here -

*www.sonyburners.com/products/product_detail.php?ID=116679333

The cost quoted by my dealer is Rs 4250/- . Is it justified ?

Even so please tell me what I should do , and also tell me of any other good Drives from LG/LiteON ..

Sony DRU check here

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26202

Others, Check these threads....

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23366

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26817

OP
abhishekkulkarni

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
@ dipen01

No you presumed correctly . I did want to go there personally & I did go there , after following your directions...
Even they confirmed the cost quoted to me by my dealer ie Rs 4250/-. :D I asked for correspondence so that even the guys outside Pune could help :)

@djmykey

Thank you... :D I went to DCC . It is quite out of place as far as the locality is concerned , but then these days we find anything anywhere. :lol:
They are offering it also for Rs-4240 ( Rs 10 lower :p :p ) . But not going to desert my trusted computer dealer for Rs 10/- :p :p :p :lol: . By the way when are we gonna have a meet ?

@ mohit

Thank you :)

So finally settled for the Sony Drive . Surprisingly , it is named as Sony DRU 800A on Sony's website , but it was named as Sony DRU 810A on the box.. :eek:
Guess it is specific to a particular country... :)
I am going to get my CPU tommorrow... ( Also got a new Mercury Mobo & 256 MB Hynix DDR Ram ) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom