Should I buy a laptop?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Do you play games? Don't buy a laptop unless it's an Alienware.
Do you watch 1080p videos? Don't buy a laptop unless it's an Alienware.
Do you plan to upgrade? Don't buy a laptop even if it's an Alienware.
... and I'm not kidding.

If you want something to browse and view videos on your bed, a tablet is better off.

the tablet part is true but the alienware one is wrong,i have 3 laptops capable of gaming and none of them are alienwares,one of them is the same price and the other two put together are as expensive as an alienware and can perform similiarly

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree,for me nothing can replace actual Windows for browsing

not really even flash browsers exist for ios
id say op should get an ipad , its worth it and is better than buying some cheap netbook or some lame android tablet, unless he needs it for coding in which case an ultrabook or a full fledged laptop from dell or some other reputed brand(not samsung and hcl for sure)

- - - Updated - - -

Get a general purpose laptop within 15-20k.

I must agree, browsing on a laptop is much better than browsing on a tablet.

netbooks are terrible, get an ipad or a decent 30-35k laptop/ultrabook
ipad is the best for casual browsing except if he wants to code or something

- - - Updated - - -

Service depends differs from city to city. Lenovo service in my city is simply awesome. I am pissed off by Dell shopkeepers. They are selling alienwares with core i7 undervolted processors. (m14x Haswell exists with core i7 4500U which is not available online).
Enough OT, I would still advice op to get a full fledged laptop instead of a tablet with mouse/kb combo.

this is true!! i live in mumbai and only dell and apple to some extent have decent service all others are terrible in my experience
dell and apple arent the best but they arent as bad as the rest

I myself have been under this dilemma - whether to buy a laptop or build a desktop for a couple of months. I finally decided to go for Y510P. A similarly powered desktop(no monitor) would have cost me about 50k (4570, a decent board, 8GB RAM, HDD, UPS, SMPS, Cabinet, DVD drive, graphics card). Thats about 30k cheaper.
But it simply doesn't beat the peace of mind for 3 years, mobility, and work during powercuts.

PS I also own an iPad which is good enough for reading, browsing, movies, but you simply can't be productive on it.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I myself have been under this dilemma - whether to buy a laptop or build a desktop for a couple of months. I finally decided to go for Y510P. A similarly powered desktop(no monitor) would have cost me about 50k (4570, a decent board, 8GB RAM, HDD, UPS, SMPS, Cabinet, DVD drive, graphics card). Thats about 30k cheaper.
But it simply doesn't beat the peace of mind for 3 years, mobility, and work during powercuts.

PS I also own an iPad which is good enough for reading, browsing, movies, but you simply can't be productive on it.

+100000

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@OP : Unless you and your desktop have a huge distance between them, are you kidding me? :facepalm:

And no, if you're not gonna use it other than in your bed, it's absolutely not worth it. Really, a desktop and a laptop? How they are even remotely comparable? Only advantage of laptop is, it's portability, and if there's no use of that then it's like buying a F1 car and trying to drive it on normal roads.

I hate laptops to the guts, paid 120k, back in 2009, for some Alienware crap, then paid less than half for the desktop, and it's performance literally mocks the Alienware. Worst purchase I've ever made. Just couple of months ago I had three, sold two of them. Now I've only one, and that's just for MS Excel works when I need to visit my clients.

If you really need one, get the cheapest i3 available. Spending big money behind a laptop can't be any more meaningless, sorry I honestly don't care who agrees with me and who doesn't. For power users like me, it's simply a joke.

And remember, you asked for opinion, I provided mine, as others did above. Commenting here doesn't increase my bank balance, it's your money, you wanna make a wise decision or waste your money is simply up to you. But if you end up buying something expensive by then you might regret it.

Last edited:

hitesh

In the zone
@OP : Unless you and your desktop have a huge distance between them, are you kidding me? :facepalm:

And no, if you're not gonna use it other than in your bed, it's absolutely not worth it. Really, a desktop and a laptop? How they are even remotely comparable? Only advantage of laptop is, it's portability, and if there's no use of that then it's like buying a F1 car and trying to drive it on normal roads.

I hate laptops to the guts, paid 120k, back in 2009, for some Alienware crap, then paid less than half for the desktop, and it's performance literally mocks the Alienware. Worst purchase I've ever made. Just couple of months ago I had three, sold two of them. Now I've only one, and that's just for MS Excel works when I need to visit my clients.

If you really need one, get the cheapest i3 available. Spending big money behind a laptop can't be any more meaningless, sorry I honestly don't care who agrees with me and who doesn't. For power users like me, it's simply a joke.

And remember, you asked for opinion, I provided mine, as others did above. Commenting here doesn't increase my bank balance, it's your money, you wanna make a wise decision or waste your money is simply up to you. But if you end up buying something expensive by then you might regret it.

^This X 1000000

OP
D

dpanshu

Broken In

Thanks for the answer. I am not gonna purchase it as of now.

And I don't think laptops are meant for rugged use i.e 24/7 running. Thus will avoid buying for now. Cheers

Top Bottom