Should I buy a laptop?

dpanshu

Broken In
I own a desktop computer, pretty old core2duo. Although it is solving all my purpose till date, I want to buy a laptop just to use it in my bed. Is it worth it?
P.S I work in an IT company and will use the laptop for browsing/Work.

hitesh

In the zone
I own a desktop computer, pretty old core2duo. Although it is solving all my purpose till date, I want to buy a laptop just to use it in my bed. Is it worth it?

lol not at all

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
fill this:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/156722-questionnaire-laptop-notebook-purchase.html

then if you think you can do with your current desktop, don't buy the laptop.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
lol not at all

it is worth it , i rarely use my desktops,laptops are rather underrated
if u buy the right one,its better than most desktops
ive noticed alot of people mislead and say they are underpowered or something but its not true

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

sure!

unless you want to lower your sperm count. ;)

OP
D

dpanshu

Broken In
it is worth it , i rarely use my desktops,laptops are rather underrated
if u buy the right one,its better than most desktops
ive noticed alot of people mislead and say they are underpowered or something but its not true

Yeah, even I think so that is why the question. Now the point is, if i buy the laptop, Desktop would not be used much :(. I would not want that for sure.

Do you play games? Don't buy a laptop unless it's an Alienware.
Do you watch 1080p videos? Don't buy a laptop unless it's an Alienware.
Do you plan to upgrade? Don't buy a laptop even if it's an Alienware.
... and I'm not kidding.

If you want something to browse and view videos on your bed, a tablet is better off.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
... and I'm not kidding.

If you want something to browse and view videos on your bed, a tablet is better off.

*Ahem*
Introducing.....Lenovo Y510p!
Gaming? Yes!
1080p? Yes!
Upgradable? Yes!(Cpu, gpu, ram, ssd slot, bd drive, DVD drive, screen to matte and Hdd bay)

Yes, why not spend 72k on a laptop so that he can put it on his bed?
(don't even bother telling me it's 69k somewhere)

$hadow

Geek in making
But considering the usage tablet is wwhat you should buy. A 10 inch tab would work perfectly for you.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
... and I'm not kidding.

I disagree,for me nothing can replace actual Windows for browsing

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Yes, why not spend 72k on a laptop so that he can put it on his bed?
(don't even bother telling me it's 69k somewhere)

The point is Alienware is not the solution to mobile gaming needs. Imo it's the last laptop one should consider and only consider if one has a seemingly infinite budget.

By tablet I did not mean Android cheapware. The Acer Iconia W4 should be fine I guess?

- - - Updated - - -

The point is Alienware is not the solution to mobile gaming needs. Imo it's the last laptop one should consider and only consider if one has a seemingly infinite budget.

How can you justify the price of Lenovo then? Because it's not an Alienware product and is less stigmatic? Lenovo can never come to the level of customer care that Alienware provides. Period.

source: I own 3 Lenovo laptops and my room mate has the said Y510P.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
How can you justify the price of Lenovo then? Because it's not an Alienware product and is less stigmatic? Lenovo can never come to the level of customer care that Alienware provides. Period.

source: I own 3 Lenovo laptops and my room mate has the said Y510P.

I beg to differ.

The price of Lenovo is extremely justified and is perhaps the best gaming laptop in India right now with just the right combination of GPU and CPU power and not skimping in any area. With GPU upgrade(which costs 8k including shipping +customs), the laptop performs on the level of Alienware 17 with GTX 770m which costs 1 lakh 89k(I am not talking about the model with GTX 780m which costs 2 lakhs).
Even the stock GT755m is a tad weaker than GTX 765m found in the top model of Alienware 14. Alienware 14's lowest model has GT 750m and costs 1 lakh 18k.

Lenovo has an excellent customer service in India and I would consider it at par with Dell(if not better).

Alienwares are excellent machines no doubt with all their fanfare but they are most overpriced machines in the entire planet and a better machine can be obtained at merely half their price.

Source:Owner of a Lenovo Thinkpad, Lenovo Y500(Y510p's predecessor) and a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop.

OP
D

dpanshu

Broken In
I never said that I want the lappy for gaming purpose, anyways no good games have come from a long time imo. I wanted the laptop for browsing and coding. I am a conventional person and do not like to even browse on tabs/phones as much as on actual PC

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I never said that I want the lappy for gaming purpose, anyways no good games have come from a long time imo. I wanted the laptop for browsing and coding. I am a conventional person and do not like to even browse on tabs/phones as much as on actual PC

Get a general purpose laptop within 15-20k.

I must agree, browsing on a laptop is much better than browsing on a tablet.

Well, I can never be convinced about how great Lenovo service is. Too many personal incidents that say otherwise. It's better we agree to disagree then.
Alienware laptops are overpriced, yes. That may be because it's a premium brand. I wasn't suggesting OP to buy an Alienware, just pointing out that if he only required browsing, he could have gone with a tablet (the one I said is no less than a laptop if you connect a keyboard/mouse because it runs the Windows 8.1 OS not RT).

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well, I can never be convinced about how great Lenovo service is. Too many personal incidents that say otherwise. It's better we agree to disagree then.
Alienware laptops are overpriced, yes. That may be because it's a premium brand. I wasn't suggesting OP to buy an Alienware, just pointing out that if he only required browsing, he could have gone with a tablet (the one I said is no less than a laptop if you connect a keyboard/mouse because it runs the Windows 8.1 OS not RT).

Service depends differs from city to city. Lenovo service in my city is simply awesome. I am pissed off by Dell shopkeepers. They are selling alienwares with core i7 undervolted processors. (m14x Haswell exists with core i7 4500U which is not available online).
Enough OT, I would still advice op to get a full fledged laptop instead of a tablet with mouse/kb combo.

Top Bottom