sharing dataone internet connection over ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigger

Journeyman
i have data one connection on my pc.plan is home-500 plan(with one gb downloading and uploading limit).can this connection be shared over ethernet thru a hub?

i got four pcs connected thru hub.do i need to setup a proxy server or what?

the bsnl's site says its(sharing of same connection)*www.bsnl.co.in/faq/faqans.php?paramCategory=Broadband not allowed in home plan connection.though doesnt says whether its against there policy or technically not possible.

they give dynamic ip address(and not static) and provide an ADSL modem.will this create some problem in sharing?

thanx in advance for help![/url]

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
yes u can share the connection... but u cant connect the modem directly to the hub as u r in SU plan... what u need is a PC with 2 LAN cards which will act like a server to share the internet connection....

rest u can follow the guide given by ishaan...

ishaan

Padawan
how does BSNL get to know if u use a router?

im guessing thru MAC ADDRESS

so wat u can do is, get a router and use net thru that.

in d router options, there is MAC CLONING so u can type in the MAC address of ur original pc in there

this way bsnl thinks ur jus using one pc, but actually it gets shared ovr the lan

but wen u buy a router, make sure it has cable/dsl net sharing and mac address cloning options availabe

plus, if ur modem is connected 2 ur pc thru usb, u'll hafta connect it to the router thru an ethernet wire if it has the port, or else u hafta buy a new cable modem also

but the method of using 2 lans suggested by saurav is cheaper cuz lan cards r like around 200 bucks i think

but a router is rs4000 n above n i dono how much modems cost

some good router companies are D-LINK, SMC and BELKIN

jack// ani

In the zone
Yes u will need 2 LAN card installed on the host computer....hub will not at all work here. I'm sharing my connection same way without any problem. If u have may trouble PM me.

Good luck

KnightRider

Broken In
well!!! see, since u are having 4 computers(assuming even the one u are having data one connection)

install 2 lan cards in the main pc which has data one commection. one is connected to the modem..
2nd is not connected to any thing

now, open your network connection properties and share the lan connection to which ur data one is connected..

the moment u share it, the other lan cards ip address will become 192.168.0.1
that will act as ur server..

now(assuming u have lan cards in all other 3 pcs)
give them their own unique ip address
for e.g
rexpectively

the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0

connect all these 4 lan cards to a hub.

now this process is giving the dns and gateway

again open the network properties of the three machine only - and not of the server machine

give the gateway and the dns address as
192.168.0.1 ---> for dns and also for gateway

u can ping each ip address for ur satisfaction and also to check the connectivity..

now start the server machine.. connect to the internet.
and try accessing from all 3 machines..

u can mail me for problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom