Share the experience of getting your own computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandal

Banned
Hello I am a newbie here. This is my first thread.

Everybody is happy when they first get their computers. It is an experience which they cannot forget in their life. I was given my computer on my birthday when I was in Class VII in 2003. It was really a wonderful experience. Please share your own experience of getting your own PC here
.:)

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^Welcome to the ThinkDigit Forums!

Hmmm. Long ago, in 2003 (What a coincidence!), my dad decided to buy me a PC. Well, it was a complete nightmare! I had to teach the so called 'assembler' dad had unearthed a lot of things! He was able to assemble the hardware but I figured out that he was a noob in most matters. Nevertheless, after I got my PC. At that time, it was like: Intel P4 processor, Intel 845G chipset el-cheapo motherboard, 128MB DDR-RAM (Come to think of it! :D), 2600W intex 4.1 speaker system (I loved saying that), accompanied by the rest of the cheap stuff. A few days later, AMD pwned Intel. Loads of better processors were launched. I did not even have a graphics card and both of the graphics card giants were moving over thousands of numbers. My speaker system turned out to be a tweeter or a fweeper as I call it. In a matter of months, I concluded that it had not been a ripe time. Anyhow, in 2007, my Northbridge melted and I had to upgrade! No choice! That was the story of my first PC.

RMN

In the zone
I got mine when i was in the 3rd grade or something.
Windows version 4 or something!??
loved playing CISCO and Prince of Persia!!!!

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
After begging and whining from 2000 to 2002 i got my PC lol. I don't remember the config but i do remember that i used to play Superbike 2000 on it and my 2 best pals coming over to my place and playing it turn by turn. Ahhhh.. good old days.. :D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I bought my computer when I was in First year of engg.
Its back in 14th Feb, 2003:D

Config, I can still remember clearly,
Intel 845GLAD
P4 1.7GHz
256MB 333MHz Hynix (or Kinngston) (People were like, what would u do wid such huge RAM??)
40GB Seagate HDD
LG CD Rom
LG Monitor (15")
Creative Inspire 2400 2.1 (This was my favorite part of all the mentioned)
Ek bakwas UPS:mad:

My frnd, who was also supposed to buy PC took me to a shop, I bought but he never bought from dat shop...(kamina):cool:

But, this is due to d crappy-buggy PC of me (and Digit), I learned PC troubleshooting.

red_devil

Back!
ah I got mine in 2004...the assembler guy who'd come to ask for the specifications suggested a 128MB RAM and 20 GB hard disk...i clearly remember him saying "you wont have any use for a 40 GB hard disk...its way too much"

come to think of it, today I have 280 GB worth of disk space and yet dont seem to have enough !! those days !!

EDIT : (my complete config)

p4 2.4 GHz {i guess}
Intel 845GVSR
256 MB RAM
40GB hard disk
52x CD writer {...it was such a thing to own back then !! a 52x CD Writer !!}
14" CRT monitor
no graphics card {...dont have one even now ;) ..}

D

Deleted member 26636

i bought mine in may 2004...i was a total noob then..there was no computer education in our school, very few internet cafes, & i was the 3rd or 4th kid in my class to buy a PC(i am from a small township in assam which is still very much backward in computer education) ..i got it because i had done relatively well in my 10th board exams..so it was like a gift from a father to his son..an elder cousin of mine who'd completed his MCA got me the config-
A P4 2.4Ghz,
256mb DDR1 RAM,
an LG 52X combo drive,
an asrock 845GL m/b,
40gb seagate hdd,
an LG 17" CRT monitor,
a creative 2400 2.1 speaker,
an APC UPS,
a samsung multimedia keyboard & samsung optical mouse.

my brother actually told me to buy an intel original m/b..but the vendor cheated me saying that the P4 Proccy wouldn't work with that m/b..& sold me the asrock m/b.
The vendor installed the games IGI-1 & Soldier of Fortune-2 on it..i was so thrilled..i would sit for hours playing..the 1st time i learnt to burn a disc using nero..i felt i'd climbed the everest...& i could actually brag about my PC as it was the best among all my friends.

Also, i bought my 1st copy of digit during this time.

@Rhitwick & Red_Devil :seems like we had similar configs.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Got mine in '86 or '87, It was a Samsung branded PC with a 386 running on Windows 2.x. The cabinet was a horizontal box and the 14" color monitor sat atop. I would spend hours on my dad's lap while he tried to explain, rather unsuccessfully, the different functions and possible outcomes.
The cabinet had a 5.25" FDD along with a physical lock to disable access to the PC. I remember losing the key on the first day itself. :D
The monitor still works like a charm, albeit at a max resolution of VGA.

Nuxer

liNux+usER
I bought my first PC in March 2005.

Configuration: AMD Athlon 64 2800+, Asus K8SMX mobo, 256 MB DDR memory (Simtronic), 15" Samsung CRT Monitor, 40 GB Samsung IDE HDD, 52x32x52 LG CD Writer, 1.44 MB Sony FDD, Intex ATX fancy cabinet, Intex Multimedia keyboard, Creative SBS 240 speaker, Microsoft scroll mouse, Intex 600 V UPS and 56 KBPS internal modem.

That year AMD rules over Intel.

At that time (2005), my PC configuration was top in my area :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
now i am curious..tell us...please:D
Sometime in 1990. If I remember correctly it was a PC-XT with either a 4 or 8Mhz CPU, 20MB HDD and 1MB RAM or something. It had a tape drive for backup and the video was not even VGA.. It was CGA I guess.. a huge motherboard with the CPU soldered to it. It had cost a bomb then! I had kept the whole thing as a remembrance. I guess it had to leave my home sometime back since I'm not home now. I loved it! I learnt so much on that computer. DOS, batch programming, windows (1.0?), games (budokan, tdcga and so many ancient ones!). Fond memories :)

Got mine in '86 or '87, It was a Samsung branded PC with a 386 running on Windows 2.x. The cabinet was a horizontal box and the 14" color monitor sat atop. I would spend hours on my dad's lap while he tried to explain, rather unsuccessfully, the different functions and possible outcomes.
The cabinet had a 5.25" FDD along with a physical lock to disable access to the PC. I remember losing the key on the first day itself. :D
The monitor still works like a charm, albeit at a max resolution of VGA.
Whoa! you must then be one of the first in the world to get your hands on the 80386 since it was released in late 1986!

jhn2001

Right off the assembly line
I do not remember the date/year but i was very excited when i first bought it in my house .

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Whoa! you must then be one of the first in the world to get your hands on the 80386 since it was released in late 1986!
The date of manufacture on my monitor reads March 1987, so my dad definitely bought the system after that.
We upgraded the system to a 486 and Win 3.1 in '92/'93 and then switched to a new PC with a Cyrix processor and Win 95 sometime in '97.

amol48

Searching...
I got my first PC when I was in VII (2002) as a birthday gift on 27th Feb. (My birthday is on 18th feb however :p)

Config were:

Pentium 4 1.5GHz processor
128MB SDRAM (which I later upgraded to 256MB SDRAM)
Intel 845
40GB Samsung HDD
nVidia TNT2 RIVA 32 MB Graphics card (I loved it. Only I had it in my whole school :D)
APC UPS (amazing UPS man!)

Cost me Rs.42k in those days!! Now I got a Studio 15 lappy for that price with the following specs:

Core 2 Duo T6400
3GB RAM DDR2 800MHz RAM
320GB HDD
ATI Raedon 256MB Card
8-in-1 card reader
18x DVD Writer
Wireless Bluetooth Mouse (it's really great)
Creative EP-630 earphones
Ruby Red color

All the above for the same price!! lol :D

EDIT: Just noticed I have that config in my siggy as well :p ! Anyways it took me lot of pain to write that so I will not delete the above configs now :D

Rahim

Married!
I got my "rig" after securing 94% in ISC Exam and all i wanted was a computer and i had no knowledge of anything about its parts,etc.
P 3
128 MB RAM
Intel 845GVSR
20 GB Seagate HD
200 mp3s :)D)
2.1 Intex Speakers

I got my "rig" after securing 94% in ISC Exam and all i wanted was a computer and i had no knowledge of anything about its parts,etc.
P 3
128 MB RAM
Intel 845GVSR
20 GB Seagate HD
200 mp3s :)D)
2.1 Intex Speakers
94% in ISC?!?! Great man :) Whats your raaz? :wink:
Nice config BTW :D

My dad brought home the first PC back in 1996 from his office (mainly to work from home)
But I did get to use it once in a while. I dont remember the config, but I do remember it first had Win 3.0 and then upgraded to Win 95.
It had a CD Drive, Floppy Drive, 2 stereo speakers, Horizontal cabinet with a 14 inch colour monitor sitting on top of it with 32 MB of RAM (upgraded to 64MB later)
In 1999, some local guy introduced dial-up Intenet, to which my dad subscribed to along with 32 kbps modem. I still remember those loud beep patterns the modem would make even now (they could be heard across the house :D)
Our neighbours, relatives would flock to our house to see this thing, while I play Dangerous Dave, Alladin, Allan Border Cricket and Balloonz :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom