Share the experience of getting your own computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
^hehe I am a brilliant student :p
The funny thing was that i was more excited about those 200 mp3s than the actual PC itself :D That was the 1st time i was introduced to Angrezi songs :shock:

OP
Chandal

Chandal

Banned
Let me tell you my experience.

I bought it when I was in Class VII in 2003. Our computer teacher told that a computer is a must to do programming(Quick Basic) but actually I wanted to play games. I wanted a multimedia computer with icons(At that time I thought that the computers with colour and icons are called multimedia computers and black screen computers were not multimedia computers.I didn;t know that the computers depended on the OS installed on them. Therefore I requested and begged my parents but he wouldn't listen:cry:. I told him that our computer teacher told to buy but he would think I will only play games and told me to do the programming in tution classes.I started hunger strike and didn't talk with them and kept my face as a dumb person:D. My parents took pity and told me that they would buy me a computer just for programming and just a economy PC. I didn't like it but something is better than nothing. He bought a catalog where 3 branded computers were there and 1 assembled one. The assembled was of Rs. 19,900. It has the following config:

Cyrix Processor
Forgot the name of the motherboard (i think some SYS)but it didn't have USB slots
128MB RAM
40GB HDD
LG 15inch Monitor
CD-ROM Drive
125 MP3's
Two frontech speakers
FRONTECH Keyboard and mouse

We went to the shop to order three days before my birthday. They told that they would keep it ready under 2 days. It was really a very very restless period for me those 48 hours. On 2nd Oct(after two days i.e. my birthday) me and my father went to the shop and asked for it. The vendor told that the assembler took it to his home. We went there and saw my own PC. It had Windows 98(SE) installed and was looking very beautiful. The assembler gave it to us and requsted the shopkeeper to come an d install it my home and also told us to pay in the shop in the evening. We took it home and didn't know how how to install. We were waiting for the shopkeeper to arrive. He arrived after 3 hours:mad:. He installed it and told me just to run QBasic, listen Songs and play the only game they had installed in it that is ROADRASH and not to fiddle with the motherboard CD. He left and I enjoyed ROADRASH. It was a day I cannot forget. After somedays I accidently formatted the system and didn't know what to do after that. My father called the shopkeeper and he told that he would come but he came after 4 days and just installed the OS again and everything was well again. I came to know about that and bought it and now I could manage my own computer problems.

Two years after I got curious and installed all the drivers in the motherboard CD, shut it down and left for school. In the afternoon when I came and saw that the system wasn't booting. It asked for some System Disk. I inserted the Win98 CD and the motherboard CD one after another but it didn't work. We called the shopkeepers and they told that the warranty period has become void and we have to bring the CPU there. We took it there. The shopkeeper saw that and told that the motherboard has been burned(I still don't know till today how can a motherboard be burned just by installing drivers). We were tensed and my father scolded me like anything. They took two weeks to repair that and charged Rs.2000. We paid and brought it back. My father locked the motherboard CD in his drawer for good. I was a lot careful after that in running PC.

But one thing I forgot to say to you that after getting my PC, I scored more than 80 everytime in the three years(CLASS VIII,IX,X) and in the final boards I scored 94% in the CS(in 2007) in ICSE Board. My father became very happy and granted my reqeust of upgradation it to a gaming rig. (I was a noob at that time and thought that the processor was the main thing for gaming and not the graphics card. And for this reason I am suffering now:().It was a different shop from where I upgraded next which gave better servicing. It had these specifications and I am running till today.

Pentium D(2.8 GHz)
Asus 865G Motherboard with onboard Graphics
256MB RAM
DVD Combo
2.1 Woofer system
IBALL cabinet
FRONTECH multimedia keyboard,mouse and microphone.
and the monitor was same as before.
The older CPU was sold for Rs. 4000.
The whole new CPU costed Rs. 15,500

* (The vendor installed it and delivered it my home but the sound wasn't playing. He tried all the steps to make it play but failed. He told that the drivers weren't correct in the Mainboard CD. He took it back did something and brought it back again but with sound. He told that he had installed the drivers from Internet. He kept and went back. I was getting curious to know that he installed it from Internet or not, for which after somedays I fomatted Windows and intalled the OS back. I installed the sound drivers but it ran very good and it ran from that Motherboard CD only.) I didn't how could it happen.I was happy that I could play ViceCity and AOE II with very good frame rates. I am using the same computer till now and may upgrade sometime or the other. :rolleyes: But I am having some doubts in my mind till today!!!

1. Can the installation of motherboard drivers burn the motherboard.
2. Once installed the sound drivers from internet, can it run the sound device even after formatting. For details see the point with * mark above within brackets.
Thankyou for reading my experience .:D

Last edited:

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Cyrix Processor
Forgot the name of the motherboard (i think some SYS)but it didn't have USB slots
128MB RAM
40GB HDD
LG 15inch Monitor
CD-ROM Drive
125 MP3's
Two frontech speakers(I was noob at that time and didn't know that Cyrix was the worst processor).
FRONTECH Keyboard and mouse
I DEMAND that you retract that statement!! :p I really hope you aren't another n00b brainwashed into thinking that Pentium (or any Intel)=awesome while the rest=crap.
Cyrix processors were great VFM and actually outclassed comparable Pentium chips at the time while being priced lower: *www.fortytwo.org/rich/info/computer/cyrix/cyrix.html
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't talk about Cyrix, MIIs and 6x86s back in the day.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
1. Can the installation of motherboard drivers burn the motherboard.
No
2. Once installed the sound drivers from Internet, can it run the sound device even after formatting.
It doesn't matter where from the drivers come it can't run after a format.
In ur case the OS was not installed properly. And let me guess d guy first installed d driver and then he found its not working and uninstalled it. Then tried to install again.'
If this was the process then it won't work ever (I had experienced it and in my it didn't, I had to reinstall the OS)

OP
Chandal

Chandal

Banned
^^^^^ Ya I think you are right. But at that time was really not much fond of computers and beleived that whatever the first point says was true(I didn't even thought that if the Mainboard is burnt how can even the PC start):D Those pesky shopkeepers:mad::mad:. BTW what was the system disk that the PC was asking???:confused:

I DEMAND that you retract that statement!! :p I really hope you aren't another n00b brainwashed into thinking that Pentium (or any Intel)=awesome while the rest=crap.
Cyrix processors were great VFM and actually outclassed comparable Pentium chips at the time while being priced lower: *www.fortytwo.org/rich/info/computer/cyrix/cyrix.html
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't talk about Cyrix, MIIs and 6x86s back in the day.

Ya you are right as well. I have checked the website and it really clearly defines it. My cyrix processor of nearly 800Mhz. I have edited the post. Thankyou for the info.:p:p

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Way Back in 2000 I got my First PC. I was 12 years old Then.

It my first time with computers. I changed the screen saver in Windows 98 to That space screen saver, Changed the wallpaper. That was enough to put me on Top of Mount Everest on 1st day !! Was big time on cloud nine.
Win 98 SE ruled those days.

It was PIII, 64 MB SD RAM, Intel 810 Chipset, 15GB Quantum FileBall HDD, 15inch Samsung CRT V55, Intel 810 Chipset Motherboard.

Then i started to subscribe to Computers@Home Magazine, Then started my Geek Life !
Every month on the 5th I used to wake up early and wait at my house door open wide for the Magazine,
First thing i would check out was the Games That were in the in DISK provided with the magazine.

hmmm Those were the days !! And now............. huh !! :rolleyes:

used to play Superbike 2000 on it and my 2 best pals coming over to my place and playing it turn by turn. Ahhhh.. good old days.. :D

Man I still miss those Super Bike 2000 days, What a hell of a game. I too used to play with pals ! The Game reply was the thing to check out !!

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
True, even tho the FP performance of Cyrix was a tad lower than Intel the cost difference was huge and it certainly was VFM. K6-2 was probably in the same category. But K7 kicked Intel's @$$. That was one bad phase for Intel!

Man I still miss those Super Bike 2000 days, What a hell of a game. I too used to play with pals ! The Game reply was the thing to check out !!
lol.. you all are newer generation kids :D I started my gaming with TDCGA (Test Drive on CGA - graphics :D )

Coool

I'm Back!:D
Got my first PC in 2007 march 18 when I was 14.....
at that time I was a noob:D...
P4 processor,160Gb hard drive,a GB of RAM, No dedicated graphic card,17" HP LCD moniter and a worst UPS which gives a 3-4mins back up now:mad:....
Still using the same configuration :(......
all these cost me 44k:mad:...

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Got my first PC in 2007 march 18 when I was 14.....
at that time I was a noob:D...
160Gb hard drive,a GB of RAM, No dedicated graphic card,17" HP moniter and a worst UPS which gives a 3-4mins back up now:mad:....
Still using the same configuration :(......
all these cost me 44k:mad:...
Nice config though, think about people who started with 64mb RAM and 20GB HDD:D

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
i got my first PC in August of 2000. It was Pentium III 700Mhz with 64MB RAM (4MB Video RAM), 10GB HD with Win98 Preloaded with Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
I got it because my sister had entered XI standard at that time and taken Comp Sc as a subject. I was in Class V then.
It was upgraded to 128MB RAM in 2004 and then with a 80GB HD in 2006 + a Combo drive in 2006. Then it was upgraded to 256MB RAM in late 2006.
Unfortunately that PC died b/w 12AM-1AM on Jan 1 2008. :(

I got my next PC, the current one on April 2 2008. :)

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
I can't even think about 20GB Hard drive with 64Mb RAM...:D

Until June 2007 I used 64MB SD RAM, 15GB HDD, PIII 667 Mhz. :-?

Then upgraded to 192 MB RAM and 35 GB HD. PIII 1 Ghz. :rolleyes:

Then MID 2008 !! Jul 2008 big leap to AMD X2 4800+ 2GB 800 Mhz RAM. 320GB HDD :D

I used to play games on my PIII, 64MB RAM, Till 2003, Then I stopped, Shut down the computer completely for 3 years down !!! Till 2006 !

Finally MAY 2006, The sun rise again, I saw the light, I booted my computer !!! The old memories in 2006 were awesome, after 3 years. basically it was off coz i was into physics and math during Class 10,11,12.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
^ (off topic), a small doubt. is engg is easy while campared 11,12 class??

The Exams are way easier, I mean Your B.E/B.Tech Exams....
Just one night stand to pass with 70% average :D !

But then that was about your semester exams. There is much more to life then only those stupid exams.

CAT/GATE/GMAT/GRE ! Placements, Nightmarish Google/Microsoft/**AnyTopJob** Selection Rounds. etc...

There is more to engineering then SEMESTER exams to screw your ass off. :!:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^^^
I have only experience Ist sem and got to say everthing was rote...:mad: and got very boring...and TBH I preferred giving the boards...however I did OKish and will hopefully be all clear...:)
But looking at course of next years, it seems so much easier...:p
But there would be no reduction in workload though as other tasks come to your mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom