Shane Warne or Mutthiah Muralitharan-who is a better spinner?

Who is better?

• Murali

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Warne

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
drvarunmehta said:
Murali definitely. He only has lesser wickets because he's played fewer matches. But is average is much better.
Unlike Murali, Warne has never performed very well against India.
Plus Murali had to go through hell when his action was questioned (by an Aussie umpire).

@tarey: His action has been cleared by the ICC and everyone has made their peace with it except a certain Aussie umpire (who got kicked out of the elite panel this year).

PS Didn't Shane Warne admit to giving information to a bookie along with Mark Waugh? IMO he should have been penalised just like the other cricketers implicated in match fixing.

PPS As you can see I don't like the Aussies much. Arrogant, racist SOB's. I guess writing all this makes me a little racist too. ;-)

Average is the number of runs per wicket and strike rate is the number of balls per wicket.

You are forgetting the fact that there is no one but Murali most of the times, where Aussies have McGrath and the rest of the "fauj" (army) with them, so warne doesn't et to bowl much. There strikerate is almost the same, a differance of 0.something.

So now we consider the action, Warne has a copybook action, no problems and everyone is happy. Murali on the other hand, had been facing a lot of problems with his action, he cannot bowl that well outside of the continent (I am not saying warne can but Murali cannot).

Warne is the only player to have taken 500+ wickets to win matches. If you put together the 700 of warne, 555 of Mcgrath, 250 of Gillespie, 200 of Brett Lee, you will understand how tough it has been for him, on the other hand, in Srilankan team, only Vaas is somewhat a long time player, the rest are crap compared to the aussies.

Aditya

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Bowling alongside other bowlers can also be a good thing. It takes the pressure off Warne because there are other people to do the job if he dosen't deliver. Murali has always been expected to do the job on his own because other than Vaas no one else is that reliable.

Who says Murali cannot bowl well outside the subcontinent? He has played well on every surface. He just won the last test for Sri Lanka against New Zealand away from home on a wicket that doesn't do much for spinners.

The best way to decide between 2 spinners is to see their performance against India. Murali wins hands down in this regard.

sanddy

Broken In
MURLI as he has his own style(warne also),but maurli has suffered a lot at the hands of european ICC panels,who are always HARSE on asians,and let go the WHITE,inspite of this all MURLI is still on NO 2 with excellent avg

eddie

El mooooo
Even though I am biased against Warne for his off-field escapades (comes out as a terrible human being) but I sincerely feel that Murali is the better cricketer.

As far as I can see, Murali is probably the only spinner in the world who has the ability to spin the ball even on a glass wicket. Those who say that he takes most of his wickets on subcontinent pitches should see his recent New Zealand performance and the way he demolished England a few years ago at their own turf. If we go by the same logic then out of 699 Warne's wickets, 419 have come against England (186), South Africa (130) and New Zealand (103). Now what do you want to say?

Add to this all the trauma that Murali had to go through at the time of chucking allegations. Yes, he got cleared by ICC in a controlled environment but remember that they made him bowl only the doosras. He bowled these balls repeatedly in front of them and was cleared. Also, why is it that only Asian or dark bowlers are always called chuckers? What about Lee...he has a clear action? In your dreams. On the other hand Asian players are being deliberately traumatised by the European agencies so that they don't perform well.

Also, I personally believe that Asians (or Indians?) have a habit of criticising our own greats. We always see faults in people who sweat it out there for us. We rarely stand by our own greats in their torrid times and forget the people who did wrong to us very fast.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ As you said... I am biased against Murali. And I will still say, Warne and even Kumble is better than him. I don't know why, I just don't think he is the best. That's it, it's a matter of opinion and opinions change from a person to other. So I think we should just vote :)

babi_surat

Broken In
Sorry , i was late reading this hot topic!!:evil: :evil:
but want to tell you guys that apna INDIAN BATSMEN are the best against spin bowling.:p :D
So just see how this two gr8 bowlers bowl against india.
I think you guys will agree murali has bowled consistently even in ODIs. max runs/over 4. But whenever Warne is up against indians i think indians will never mind having him for all 50 overs. :D

Still remember the treatment he got in two aus tour of india??:p
In any day if you give this two bowler a chance they can be very dangerous but for me Murali is the best. being the only strike bowler of a team for a decade now is not a matter of joke.

more over when you get a BIG BAKRA:rolleyes: TEAM LIKE ENGLAND every year that for also 5 test matches, you can surely get wickets.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
Without a second thought, its Murali... had he been a so called chucker, he wudnt have been allowed to bowl at all. He was cleared by the biggies in there and our opinion saying he is a chucker is as lame as calling ur self god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom