Setup Extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancer10

ClubHost.in
I want to extract the setup of a screensaver package I downloaded from www.freeze.com I don't want to install it because it has lots of adwares and trojans inside the setup file, I just want the .scr file and nothing else.

is there any way to extract a setup file?

PS: I have tried winrar but it cannot extract the setup file.

K

khattam_

If you have WinRAR installed, try right clicking it to see if it has a "Extract to........" Option. If it doesn't, i can't help...............

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Not all exe files are made with archivers. Some are made with custom packagers like InstallShield/Wise/Windows installer, and as such, extracting them would be pretty much out of the question. Usually the best way to extract such files is this: First, clean your temp folder (C:\Windows\temp for Windows 9x/Me, and %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp for Windows 2000/XP) and then delete ALL the files in that folder. Then click on the installation file, let it begin the installation and then the "extracting files" process. Do not proceed on the setup. Instead, go back into the temp directory and you should be able to find all the extracted files there. Copy the .scr file and delete the rest of the trojans and go back and cancel the installation and then delete the contents of the temp folder. Hope this helps a bit in your case.

tuXian

In the zone
once I renamed the setup executable to .zip and was able to extract the files. I know it wont work always. Can someone explain this??

Kannan

In the zone
once I renamed the setup executable to .zip and was able to extract the files. I know it wont work always. Can someone explain this??

That means it was compressed with a simple zip mechanism and with autoextractor and a custom icon.

swatkat

Technomancer
ZIP files can be made to Autoextract by making using the SFX provided by the Zipping Softwares.SFX stands for Self Extractor.
But every EXE file is not SFX file. For these file we have to execute/install them too see what contain!

OP
C

cancer10

ClubHost.in
enoonmai said:
Not all exe files are made with archivers. Some are made with custom packagers like InstallShield/Wise/Windows installer, and as such, extracting them would be pretty much out of the question. Usually the best way to extract such files is this: First, clean your temp folder (C:\Windows\temp for Windows 9x/Me, and %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp for Windows 2000/XP) and then delete ALL the files in that folder. Then click on the installation file, let it begin the installation and then the "extracting files" process. Do not proceed on the setup. Instead, go back into the temp directory and you should be able to find all the extracted files there. Copy the .scr file and delete the rest of the trojans and go back and cancel the installation and then delete the contents of the temp folder. Hope this helps a bit in your case.

ok dude, i will try that.

thanx

cheetah

In the zone
Some archives can be extracted directly without installing,this can be done by right clicking and then selecting Extract to......

Kannan

In the zone
cheetah said:
Some archives can be extracted directly without installing,this can be done by right clicking and then selecting Extract to......

For that you need a extractor like WinRAR installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom