setup a home wifi-lan, share internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
n released? :shock: wiki says n will come out on sep 2008 *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

I will be going for that standard Linksys router

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
is there any router which has a onboard USB port? I want to connect a USB HDD and use it as NAS.. If its not available then I have to go for Linksys WRT54G .. Apple Airport extream has a USB port also n draft specification but its too expensive about $175 :(

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
d-Link DI-624s, some Belkin models haf USB port. The Linksys wrt350n has support for NAS. But its an 802.11n router and costly. Availability is also an issue.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The dlink model is again an 802.11n product. So its costly. It should retail for not less than 8k or so. Availability, as I said, could be a problem.

sourav

In the zone
how many wireless lan supporting devices can be attached simultaneously to that linksys. i am thinking of connecting my desktop to it by ethernet wire and bsnl modem to it and my laptop by wireless.

i think u said that linksys provides 4 ethernet ports on it, so i think the above thing will not be a problem.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
4 Wired connections and theoretically unlimited wireless connections. However, I think I did mention in some thread that wrt54g can handle upto 70 wireless connections without any problems (speed of net is shared and depends on your broadband connection).

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Ok finally I got a WRT54G today. Im having problem configuring the router..
the modems IP number is 192.168.1.1 and the IP of router is 192.168.1.2
But I cannot do the basic setup. the modem has DHCP enabled but still the router cannot detect it :(.

BTW Internet Connection tyoe is "Static IP" in the router config rite?

EDIT: Now its working , thanks for the tip ANi :D .. Will check with signal strength and range tmro :)

Thanks a lot Anirudh for the help, I really appreciate your help :)

Last edited:

nix

hi guys...
well i ve been having problems setting up a wifi connection at home... i have a linksys WRH54G wireless router and a laptop w/wifi. the prblem is , i dont know what kind of connection i have-static or dynamic or PPPOE or DSL or somethin else...i will tell you what i have.

The ISP has provided me with a cable, i connect it to my desktop and click an icon, which the ISP created...w/its name. it has user and a p/w field...when i click connect, while connecting..it says "connecting through WAN miniport(PPPOE)" and then i am connected and can surf the web. when i connect the same n/w cable to the laptop, i cant browse...it says"limited or no connectivity". can you pls help me get around this prblem? i need tips on how to configure the router too...

nix

ok, thanks infra...for looking into the problem...

so here's where i stand. i have an old desktop, a new lappy..want to make it wireless...have a linksys router. currently, the ISP has created an icon in both desktop and laptop. its a "ISP name" new network icon. i can browse the net in both the computers if i connect the network cable to them. if i use the router..pages wont open.

i had previously configured the router and could browse the net on the lappy in wifi mode..but due to some problems on their side...the ISP changed the kind of connection..before that they had given me a software called "24Online" and the ISP had configured the router...they had told me to enter all types of numbers in places i dont remember in the router configuration page. i did so and at that time it worked...for some time i used to use it that way...but later due to some problems on their side...they changed the connection type....i no longer have to use the "24 online" software..now there is just this icon
*img223.imageshack.us/img223/6947/68668912mt5.th.png

using this type of connection i can browse the net. but if i connect the n/w cable to router...it doesnt work. shoudl i do a fresh install for the router since the connection type is changed? how do i do that?
i dont know where to start fixing this from...
i would appreciate your time helping me fix this problem...
thanks in advance...

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Oh ok Nikhil. You will need your ISP's help here. You will need to configure the modem in autodial mode and then connect it to your router.

Then follow this guide. It will be working fine. Get details like the username password, DNS etc. Then consult the user's manual of the modem to configure it to dial automaticaly as soon as its switched on.

Upon doing that follow this guide.

rajesh201985

CrysIs Freak
@infra_red_dude
Dude i need ur helP..i got LINKSYS WRT54G and D-link G510 as i wanted to connect 3 computers (2 desktop and 1 laptop)
i got airtel broadband connection with modem Dlink 502t .i messed up with the settings i want to connect the internet to the main Pc with wire and other with the g510 and laptop got WI-FI buildin.

so what are changes should i make in the 502t modem and linksys so that i can share internet.At this time i am not able to configure the basic setup..I connected 1 off 4 ethernet port to the Main PC(in linksys).In the network settings i am getting a small yellow sigh as something is wrong
And i also wanted how i can Port Forward (As i wanted this for my Utorrent)

plz help me as i cant take this anymore
~~Rajesh~~

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
OK, this is a pretty simple setup.

Logon to your router's web based config utility by connecting it to the computer via LAN. Type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 or whatever the IP is in the browser. Change it to 192.168.1.2. Now unplug it.

You will need to configure the adsl modem in autodial mode (works best in this mode for this kinda setup). Connect it to the desktop as explained above. Type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 or whatever the IP is in the browser. Change it to 192.168.1.1. Correctly enter the DNS etc. whatever needs to be edited to configure your modem in autodial mode. Refer to the airtel and modem manual for this. Now unplug it and connect it to one of the 4 LAN ports, NOT the broadband port, on the router.

Now set the IP of the desktop (the wired LAN adaptor) as 192.168.1.3, subnet as default given, gateway and DNS as 192.168.1.1 and connect it to one of the remaining 3 LAN ports on the router.

Set the IP of the desktop (the wirelss LAN adaptor) as 192.168.1.4, subnet as default given, gateway and DNS as 192.168.1.1. It should now detect the wireless network and connect to it. Entery the security key if you haf selected any.

Set the IP of the laptop (the wirelss LAN adaptor) as 192.168.1.5, subnet as default given, gateway and DNS as 192.168.1.1. It should now detect the wireless network and connect to it. Entery the security key if you haf selected any.

Thats it :)

rajesh201985

CrysIs Freak
^^Thanks for the reply dude .It worked.Once again thanks for the Awesome reply
Dude can i use this to play games (if yes) in LAN .plz suggest few of them.U Rock

TIA
~~Rajesh~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom