setup a home wifi-lan, share internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes, you can use this setup to play multiplayer games. If you like FPS etc. try UT/Quake/Doom series. For RPG you can try Warcraft or Age of empires/mythology. For racing NFS etc.

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
hey can we play 2-player games via a wireless AD-HOC connection?

i think we can play it in wired with the use of cross-crimped cables.. isnt it?..

but i guess its not possible in wireless....

is there any emulator/software that will sit on TRAY, fool the OS into thinking it as normal wireless connection and let me play games??

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I'm sorry bikdel, I haf no idea regarding multiplayer games over ad-hoc connection. Someone else mebbe able to help you out.

But in a wired connection how can you play multiplayer games over cross crimped connection with such a kind of IP settings?

mail4kaja

Right off the assembly line
Hello Infra...

I have recently got a new ADSL cum Wi-Fi router from BSNL ( UTSTARCOM WA3002-g1 Wireless ADSL Router ). It has 4 ports.

I'm having a desktop & a laptop. I want to have my broadband always connected. It should be available to both my desktop & laptop (through Wi-Fi too).

Please help me how to configure my router, desktop & laptop.

With regards,
R Kaja Mohideen

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hello Kaja,

I've never handled those BSNL wifi modem/routers - hereafter referred to as "device". I will however try to give you a general idea to set up the network.

Unless changed the device IP would be 192.168.1.1 and DHCP would be enabled. Get a normal LAN cable - RJ45 and connect it to either of the computers. Wait for the computer to get an IP from the device. Once its done, launch your web browser and type *192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

The next screen would prompt for the device username and password. It'll mostly be "admin" and "admin". Check the user manual for more details. After inputing the correct info the Device config page would open up. To connect automatically use the PPPoE mode in the WAN/DSL setup page. These pages would mostly be available in a frame on the left margin. Input the username and password assigned to you by BSNL. Goto the DHCP config and make sure its enabled. The wired part configuration is done.

For the wireless, goto the wireless tab and make sure Wireless is enabled. To prevent others from using you need to put in a network key. You can either select WPA or WPA2 network protection. You will need to provide a 16 character key. Make sure its a very loosely knit key with no relation between the characters or no recognizable words. That will give you the strongest protection. After this is done, Save and reboot the modem. Note this password/key down for immediate use.

I'm assuming you are using Windows. Goto the Network Center. On the desktop, right click on the LAN adapter and select Properties. Now in the first page, white area scroll down till you find TCP/IP. Select it and click on Advanced/Properties. Select Obtain an IP automatically. Do the same for DNS. Now repeat the procedure on your laptop but this time make sure you are changing this property for the Wireless LAN adapter in Network center and NOT wired/LAN adapter

Connect the LAN cable to your PC. You PC should automatically connect to the net. Turn on the WiFi in your laptop and search for New networks. It should detect your home network. Select that and click Connect. You will be prompted for the Network Key. Enter it correctly. You should now be connected to the router and hence to the net. You can select to connect to this network automatically on startup by ticking the relevant option in the Connect dialog.

Hope it wasn't confusing. I've tried to explain everything in detail.

mikeon

ThE oNE & ONlY ??
Hi can i use a wi fi modem/router, with a desktop pc and a laptop without any wires at all ? I mean no wires (ethernet) going to the router except for the phone line ? How reliable is such a network ?

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I do not quite understand what do you mean by using a router without wires. If what I got is correct, then you need a wireless setup with a router and a desktop and laptop. you can follow this tutorial and get wifi pci adaptor for the desktop to make it wireless enabled.

mikeon

ThE oNE & ONlY ??
what i meant was can the desktop and pc both be wireless ? thus no wires are conncted to the router, is there a need for a singe wired connection for the router to function properly or can it work totally wireless ? and is a fully wireless network reliable ? because i don't have ethernet on my desktop, and need a card for it, instead I could also opt for a wi fi card for the same price right ? which one is better ?

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes, both can be wireless. Just get a wifi adapter - either a PCI card or a USB dongle. I've been using a fully wireless setup at home since an year without any problems. Wifi PCI cards for desktop is better than USB.

narangz

Web developer
I wrote an article on Wireless security. I am sharing the link here & I hope Ani won't mind:

Secure your wireless network- Better safe than sorry

gmg9

in the kaya
i have local cable internet connection which connects directly to my lappy rj45 connector. the cable guy give me a static ip address with all details. its 24online. so everything is static. they also provide a software to install and connect using that. i connect to the internet through a weblogin page of my isp (the cyberoamclient s/w wont run in vista).
i have recently bought a d-link 2640T wifi+modem+router. what i want is, if it possible....

**connect that 24online's rj45 to my wifi router (it has 4 rj45) so that i can connect to internet through 24online wirelessly. got the idea. so i need to know how do i setup my router and vista for that.

pla reply back soon, as o am in very urgent need.
thx for help :)

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Your router will most prolly haf a WAN port. Connect the RJ45 there. Then open up the Router Web config page and Enable the login info. Put in the username and password there and the router should now be able to connect to the internet.

To enable sharing , follow the rest of the tutorial.

gmg9

in the kaya
Your router will most prolly haf a WAN port. Connect the RJ45 there. Then open up the Router Web config page and Enable the login info. Put in the username and password there and the router should now be able to connect to the internet.

To enable sharing , follow the rest of the tutorial.

thx for ur reply.
the d-link 2640t have 1 power+1 rj11(adsl)+4 rj45 ports. now i can connect to the internet, but the router page not showing when i try to connect 192.168.1.1 (default LAN ip or router). my conf as follows .........

router wan ip: 172.x.x.19 (self given)
subnetmask: 255.255.255.0 (provided by isp)
gateway: 172.x.x.1 (provided by isp)
dns: 172.x.x.1 (provided by isp)

router lan ip: 192.168.1.1 (default)
subnetmask: 255.255.255.0 (default)

my laptop ip: 172.x.x.5 ( provided by iap)
subnetmask: 255.255.255.0 (provided by isp)
gateway: 172.x.x.1 (provided by isp)
dns: 172.x.x.1 (provided by isp)

the problem is that whenever i try to connect to router conf page it says "(110) Connection timed out". i also disable the router's dhcp option. now i can connect to the internet but i cant access my d-link router's conf webpage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom