Setting up secure wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I am sorry if this is not the right forum for this issue, if not please divert it to the concerned one.

I have BSNL DSL broadband modem and now I got a Dlink wireless router. I followed the instructions (wizard) for setting up the wireless connection. I also remember setting router password and a WPA security key. It generated a file with following text:

Network Security Settings
router password : ******
network name(SSID) : abcd
network security type : Most secure(WPA)
security key : ABCDE12345

When I connected my laptop to the wireless network for the first time, I remember entering the same security key. The wireless connection is fine, but it displays that my wireless connection is unsecure. Why is this so?

Do I have to setup another wireless network key again? I am confused. When WPA is in force, should I set another WEP key?

In wireless network connection properties, 'use windows to configure my wireless settings' is checked. when I select the wireless network and click on properties, the SSID is displayed, network authentication is open, data encryption is disabled. In the authentication tab, Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network is unchecked.

Last edited:

khmadhu

change is constant!!
remove automatic configuration and try adding manually in u r PC.

same thing happened with my Belkin Wifi N router. then i removed all PC configurations and added manually. it Worked :)

sakumar79

Technomancer
Also, see if there is setting to hide the SSID... Should be there... This means that anyone trying to locate a access point will only know that there is one at your place, but wont know its name... This gives an additional protection over and above the password protection... And try to keep the SSID also harder to guess instead of abcd... Also, is your password protection WPA or WPA2? Choose WPA2 over WPA as it is more secure...

Arun
Arun

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I contacted Dlink and they gave instructions to set it up. As of now, SSID has been changed, it has been made invisible, WPA2 password has been set. All was OK until two days ago.

I am now unable to connect to internet through the router. I can get connected if I connect directly to the modem. Wonder what is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom