Setting up RAID-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SE><IE

I'm currently on 80GB IDE but soon I'll be getting two 250GB SATA-II drives.
I want to connect them in RAID-0 configuration.
I have some questions to ask:
1. Can my current IDE drive also be added to the RAID-0 group? I suppose not because of different interface (IDE Vs SATA), different capacity and of course difference in speed.
2. In case I can't add this 80 GB HDD to the array, can it be used as JBOD? i.e., is it possible that two SATA drives work in RAID-0 array and this one just like the current form.
3. How exactly do I setup RAID-0. My motherboard's manual has given a tutorial on the same but they are asking for RAID drivers. Now My floppy drive doesn't work(hell, floppy drives must die !!) so how do I put drivers.
4. I know about setting up soft RAID though disk-management. But then again, I don't wanna risk things.

I suppose if someone of you must be having a first-hand experience of setting up an RAID array. Please help me out.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
1. No.
2. Yes, you can use the IDE HDD as a separate drive, just the way it's currently running.
3. You could try letting Windows setup load up generic RAID drivers and see if that works otherwise you need to get a floppy drive.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Does RAID 0 helps in speeding up a multitasking machine engaged in graphic applications?

My Asus P5B-dlx has RAID support, but I don't know if its called hardware RAID or software RAID.

OP
S

SE><IE

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

Here you go :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom