Not open for further replies.

Renny

Padawan
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie in linux,

I have an Airtel BB connection,
The modem I use is a USB type modem(Beetel 220BX ADSL2+MODEM),
I'm sorry if this topic is already covered, but I need help quick,

Is Slackware 12 a good choice or should I go for some other distribution?

And does this linux have softwares availbale for Suse,

Is this a good linux version?

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You are talking about two distros so different from each other. Better make up your mind. If you have at least 1 GB RAM go for Open SuSE 10.3. Else try Slackware.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
In what way r they different from each other?

btw my system is ancient:- P3, intel 810 chipset, 256MB RAM, 20gb hdd,

And plz help me with the BB query.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Then stick with Slackware. I do not have much experience with it beyond NimbleX. Better you ask someone with more Slackware experience.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Try Zenwalk instead, Its based on Slackware and is more suited for newbies than Slackware is IMO.
You can try Slackware after u get some experience with Linux.
And for older machines Slackware based distro's rock.
I am running zenwalk on a similar system ,
P4 2.4Ghz 256Mb Ram and 80gb Hdd.
It boots in less than 20 seconds.

Visit their site: www.zenwalk.org

Regards,
ray

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@rayraven...I went to the site^^ and would liek to try it out. I have a question. Can we install to the hard disk if we chose to from a Live CD, like Ubuntu or SuSE?

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Plz tell me how to setup the broadband, I've already installed Slackware 12 and got a bit familier with it.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I don't think you'd be able to configure that modem in its USB mode. Its auto-detected and configured if it were LAN mode.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@Nucleus Kore,
The Zenwalk live cd is live only, i.e No install.
You can install from the standard edition.
But I must tell you, it uses a ncurses installer as opposed to the gui installer for most distros.
But having said that, its very easy to install even from the ncurses interface.

Regards,
ray

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
IMO, it'd be better to go with something like zenwalk, vector or debian. Slackware is rather a bit advanced. But, if you think you can manage it, go on.
Most probably USB modem might not be detected. And anyways it's less stable, better go for LAN card. And configure your modem to work in bridged mode, that will require no setup on your OS.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Config:-
P3 700MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 20GB HDD, Intel 810 chipset, beetel USB router

I tried pppoe-setup and entered the username, DNS server, password etc,

but when I enter pppoe-start it does not start the connection, its says request timed out or somethin,

1.And whenever I login to root and start X-Server it always hangs, wats the damn prob??:mad: (Using KDE 3.5 desktop)

2.And even after configuring the audio using alsaconf I dont get any audio output,

***I configured the display and stuff using xorgsetup, after doin this it seems to hang in X-Server, or maybe its after the audio configuration***

But why no audio and why does it hang,:mad::mad::mad::mad:

And someone plz explain a step-by-step procedure to setup my net connection(Using Airtel BB)(using USB interface ADLS2 router).

Plz answer all queries guys plz,

PS - Why doesnt slackbook.org open.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
What if I update the kernel? then will it detect the USB modem?
And why must I use only a LAN card.

And plz help me with the other problems.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
That is cause your modem manufacturer has probably not released good enough drivers for USB support of it on Linux.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
That is cause your modem manufacturer has probably not released good enough drivers for USB support of it on Linux.

K i'll get myself a LAN card,

BUT PLZ HELP ME WITH THESE PROBLEMS:-

Config:-
P3 700MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 20GB HDD, Intel 810 chipset, beetel USB router

1.And whenever I login to root or any other account and start X-Server it always hangs, wats the damn prob??:mad: (Using KDE 3.5 desktop)

Could the problem be with the "Xorg.conf" file?

2.And even after configuring the audio using alsaconf I dont get any audio output,

***I configured the display and stuff using xorgconfig, after doin this it seems to hang in X-Server, or maybe its after the audio configuration***

But why no audio and why does it hang,:mad::mad::mad:

mehulved

Why do you want to login as root? Define hang?
What does is sound card detected by alsaconf? Did you run it as root?

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Why do you want to login as root? Define hang?
What does is sound card detected by alsaconf? Did you run it as root?

The system hangs most of the time, rarely it works fine,

*Hang meaning after starting X , after a 20-30 seconds, the mouse completely stops moving, even keyboard doesnt work, nothing works,

*Sometimes even some dialog box comes up with some error and the system speaker starts beeping continously

*This happens MOST(99%) of the times in root, and 90% of the times when i login as someother user,

And yes i ran alsaconf from root,

It shows the audio device as intel 8x0.

And why should'nt one login as root?

Rahim

Married!
^^ It is not advisable to login as "root" user as it will mean your application and various services are running with higher privileges(root=superuser) and is a security threat.

mehulved

That's really strange. Put the following logs in some pastebin
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/dmesg
/var/log/messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom