Securing Wifi router

OP
nilanko

nilanko

Banned
or you can spoof your Routers MAC Add and disable it yourself.
Now tell me how to do that. That would be better. Please.

...and that sentence on which you are lolling was just a mistake. :oops: I really DO NOT have any intention to use their connection for free. I just like experimenting with things. But the problem is: the results are stupid.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
He was joking. Ishu, stop scaring him yar. Just tell him the basics to get his router up and running with highest possible security on his device. I guess he trusts you only. Please. And forget he mentioned the word "neighbor".

OP
nilanko

nilanko

Banned
1. Just re-boot your router.
2. Put in the DNS and gateway settings.
3. Apply security as mentioned with password.
4. Enable MAC filtering.
5. Enable Firewall.
6. Disable WEB Remote Management.
7. Check your DHCP table for MAC's hooked in when radio is on.
This is an answer to what? See, I am completely a noob in these things. I have never dealt with a router. I got that router yesterday only.

And yeah, yeah Mr. Ishu Gupta, please stop scaring me! Am already soooo scared!!! :lol:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Now tell me how to do that. That would be better. Please.
^^
He was joking. Ishu, stop scaring him yar.

I wasn't joking. I was saying that he has a choice of spoofing the router's MAC on his WLAN card.

@nilanko Forget about your neighbours. They'll get it fixed from BSNL. You won't be caught.

1. Logged in to 192.168.1.1 to access Router settings.
2. Went to Configuration->Wireless Network.
3. Under security settings, I selected "WPA Mixed mode" for 'Select security option'.
4. I selected the authentication method as "PSK(Pre Shared Key)".
5. In "WPA Pass Phrase:" field I entered a password/security key.

And in your router, just use WPA2PSK with a strong password. You don't need anything else (No hidden SSID nonsense).

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Basically I said the same, Ishu wrote it better.

@OP: Do what Ishu wrote and you are good to go. Surf. Chill.
:)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^^^hes just telling you how to configure/ secure your router
spoofing the MAC address is way too easy, try a social engineering approach where you give yourself full access, and restrict their MAC addresses from using too much of their own bandwidth, and make them believe that they are entirely secure at the same time

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
^^
Basically I said the same, Ishu wrote it better.

That's right from the OP's first post. :lol: :grin:

spoofing the MAC address is way too easy, try a social engineering approach where you give yourself full access, and restrict their MAC addresses from using too much of their own bandwidth, and make them believe that they are entirely secure at the same time

Don't get it. :neutral:

Are we fiddling with the neighbours router or the OPs router?
And what exactly are we doing?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Next time someone uses the word 'neighbor' in this thread, it will be deleted. + An infraction.
:)

OP
nilanko

nilanko

Banned
^^^hes just telling you how to configure/ secure your router
You mean ... what? :-?

@Ishu: I used WPA2PSK encryption only.

Top Bottom