Second-Hand iPad Or New Galaxy Tab 2?

koltanga

Broken In
Hi,
I am thinking of buying a tablet. I have given myself a budget of 20,000 preferably less. I presently own a desktop and a company-issued laptop, so I don't see myself using the Tablet too much.
I actually want to buy a tablet for my parents, because it breaks my heart to watch them skyping, surfing & word-processing on my OCed desktop. So I thought maybe a tablet would be an appropriate device for their requirement. If they're going to use this as their primary device, I am thinking that I should get them one with the largest possible screen - ~10" screen.
This is where my problems start. Within a 20K price-point there are no reputed company with a 10" offering.

The only Tablet of repute is the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which is for Tablet what Nokia handsets were to cellphone a few years back. I was also looking at the low-er cost, feature-rich devices like the Ainol Novo 10 Hero II, iBall Slide i9702 & Wicked Leak Wammy Athena. But the thing I concluded after looking up on the Interwebs, as also here on the forum, is that buying these tablets is like playing Russian Roulette. If you're lucky, you get a device as promised on the pack, otherwise, something will go wrong, like the person in the Ainol thread who said his audio jack went kaput

A few days back I went to a mobile store with my friend. While he was looking through the handsets to buy, I just inquired about Tablets. They only had iPad variants [old & new] & Galaxy Tab 2. It so happened that while I was checking out the Tab 2, an old iPad 2 was also on the counter. Comparing them both side-by-side I found that the ipad had much better touch response compared to the Tab 2. I just scrolled through the home screens to see how fast they moved and typed some text in the browswer. The iPad felt much better. Both tablets had the bare bone of apps, pretty much nothing. But since at that time i wasn't planning to buy the iPad, more so a second-hand, I did not pay much attention to it. However after returning back, I've started thinking about it

So I was thinking what should i buy? shall i buy a brand new 7" Sammy or a pre-owned iPad at around the same price? Would it be wise to buy a used ipad? What is the general opinion about it?

Waiting for your opinions

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm one vote for the pre-owned device, once you reset it, there is nothing in the device that will show that it had ever been used before

amjath

Human Spambot
since u wanted to go for samsung tab which is a 7 inch and second hand ipad and u have some interest on ipad so i suggested u Ipad mini.

If u r ok with a little more cost buy ipad 2 wifi

Apple iPad 2: Buy Computers Online at Best Prices in India in India: Flipkart.com

OP
koltanga

koltanga

Broken In
hmm one vote for the pre-owned device, once you reset it, there is nothing in the device that will show that it had ever been used before

being the Mod, it counts as two votes

@amjath

price of 24K not worth paying for the tablet, considering its intended use: 1-2 hours every 2/3 days

I would have liked something within 15K, but I am ready to shell out 5K extra for assurance of good build quality, that a tablet from a big company would be

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Check the pre owned device and enquire for battery problems if any.

You are just a reset away from making a second hand product just about good as new :)

OP
koltanga

koltanga

Broken In
Check the pre owned device and enquire for battery problems if any.

You are just a reset away from making a second hand product just about good as new :)

is there any way i can confirm, myself, if the battery is working fine?

a-raam
The Nexus 7 is a 7" device. I want something larger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm coming around to the view that a second-hand iPad would be an ideal choice for my needs. Will give a thought for a couple more days.

Other than some dent/scratches on the iPad body, what else should I be looking out for if I go for it.
If the seller does not have original papers, will I be able to get it serviced of repaired by iPad, if need?
-----------------------
if i am getting a second-hand Android tablet of a reputed company, which has at least ICS update available for it, should i consider it too?

Top Bottom