Seagate or Western Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

premsharma

In the zone
Kniwor said:
No doubt the Seagate HDD is better, the two drives u are referring to, Seagate ST3300601U2-RK and WD WDG1U3200, the Seagate HDD has a 16Mb cache, whereas the WD HDD has a 8Mb cache, I dont know How many here have actually Use WD HDD's but believe me The Seagate HDD will take less CPU usage too, it might be costlier, but this Seagate HDD is a better option in all respects. Though u might want to get ST3300601CB-RK instead of ST3300601U2-RK, it will be better.

I have got WD 16 MB cache arround 1.5 year back. No one was having that time other than western digital. If you say how many are using WD, I think, among the digitizers, it will be arround 80% because Digit has rated WD very high longback. Drives are very sturdy, low noise and in some cases matty black coated body.

Western Digital, Hitachi Deskstar, Maxtor, Seagate etc in order. You can have any one of them depending upon your personal preference but avoid samsung if you don't want to land up in service center every now & then.

Kniwor

Learner
There's one thing I will completely agree with, Samsung HDD's are too much trouble...lol..

You quoting me and praising WD, when did I say it's bad, all I have to say is that it's senseless to compare companies that are competitive, you should always compare their products that u are looking at. Both WD and Seagate are pioneer and have their advantage. I just gave a direct comparison for the two drives he was willing to purchase, so chill. All I have objection to is the approach that any WD drive is better than any Seagate, this is a foolish thing to say, and foolish would be a mild term here.

premsharma

In the zone
I too have objection to that approach here " that mine is better" what ever it may be. I have seen it in many sections, be it TFT, DVD writers, SMPS or Processors etc, everybody wants to recommend hes/her things to other. So that even if they have bought wrong, they wants others to follow them. As far as I know due to extensive experience that sony DVD writers are worst, still many boasts of them to be best. That is wrong approach, I do agree. Most of the time I find Digit test center ratings are OK and I buy my components based on their recommendations.

I only post a comment to the topic, where I have had the multiple experiences with 2-3 different items for atleast 1 year or so. For example, if I have used 4 different DVD writers over a period of say 4 years, then only I will give my opinion [after all it is opinion only]. I do not post simply to increase the number of posts.

I have used Samsung, WD, HD, Maxtor & Seagate hard disks. Samsung is clear no. If you see may post I did not praise WD, I only disputed you on 16 mb cache, because WD has released these HDDs before anyone else. Rest I said you can choose from anyone of one the listed exept Samsung. They all are pretty decent.

If you ask me personally, I will choose WD or Hitachi Deskstar.

Kniwor

Learner
Sure WD has 16Mb cache drive, I didn't say they did not, but that drive he is considering is an 8Mb cache drive, and the Seagate one is 16Mb. get my point?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
like @Free Radical & @Easy said - Hitachi.

i've been using it for 14 months, not a single problem faced yet. not even bad sectors, corrupted data.... even though i dont have a UPS & my PC has suffered so much of improper shutdown (b'coz of Power cuts).

Debu_013

Freshly Churned Chutny :)
The think is that WD is not much available in Kolkata and the eastern parts of india and people who dare into WD have terrible customer experiences. Infact HITACHI, SEAGATE and Samsung are the usual choices. Western Digital is hardly know. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HITACHI , seagate, wd all are specialized hd companies therefore all are bound to be good but it depends on differnt pc configs.
So go ahead and buy then one that suits your needs and is light on your pocket. :):):):):):):):) ;);)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Yesterday I happened to read in tomshardware that WD is the second biggest HDD manufacturer next to Seagate and also that while Seagate makes their own components, WD largely outsources them.

Ch@0s

In the zone
Either Hitachi or Seagate. Samsung drives are really slow and WD returns are a pain though it seems they have improved of late. The WD Caviar drives are slower than the Hitachi T7K500 and Seagate 7200.10 drives too.

saurav29

Waiting for 3 Miracles...
Both are them are doomed to fail and die out on you so get the one who's replacement center is close by and offer good replacement warranty and service
bye
peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom