SE,Nokia,Moto and Samsung to unify the symbian platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola and NTT DOCOMO announced today their intent to unite Symbian OS™, S60, UIQ and MOAP(S) to create one open mobile software platform. Together with AT&T, LG Electronics, Samsung Electronics, STMicroelectronics, Texas Instruments and Vodafone they plan to establish the Symbian Foundation to extend the appeal of this unified software platform. Membership of this non-profit Foundation will be open to all organizations. This initiative is supported by current shareholders and management of Symbian Limited, who have been actively involved in its development. Plans for the Foundation have already received wide support from other industry leaders.
Take that Android and Iphone..now finally nokia will have a touchscreen, thanx to SE's UIQ. lol.

great move..will bring on a revolution.But devices to be announced early 2009.But this gives SE a huge edge over all the manufacturers IMO..SE shall continue with its java A300 platform and continue to produce devices with the WM and symbain benchmark.

For more Click here

praka123

left this forum longback
but android is slowing down :(
Google Android mobiles face lengthy delays
*www.itwire.com/content/view/18948/127/

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Nokia to acquire Symbian Limited to enable evolution of the leading open mobile platform

Nokia today announced it has launched a cash offer to acquire all of the shares of Symbian Limited that Nokia does not already own, at a price of EUR 3.647 per share. The net cash outlay from Nokia to purchase the approximately 52% of Symbian Limited shares it does not already own will be approximately EUR 264 million.

*www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1230415

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I guess it was a long thot process by Nokia. First get Qt, then Symbian...at least that way Nokia has some solid stuff in its hand to compete and survive in the market in case the market is taken over by something bigger.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
And i think that more and more viruses will be written for the mobile phones as their OS is one!! I liked SE for its faultless OS, and now that too will have its share of viruses.. I was going for SE K790i in few weeks (as soon as i'm able to walk after recovering from fractured leg), but now I guess I'll buy MotoRokr (for Linux) or wait for iPhone. Any guesses how much will iPhone cost me with Airtel in Himachal Pradesh?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ They are uniting doesn't mean all the phones will haf Symbian! Just that all the smartphones will haf the same OS. You can safely but K790i or MotoRokr as they won't be affected in anyway.

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Yea..it doesnt mean that..only we wont see any UIQ phones by SE anymore...maybe one or two..but now the XPERIA series will host both WM and symbian platforms..it will be tough on the customers now..all phones will function the same and have the same damn OS..well..everything has its downsides tho..

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
well dude..

technically google has the smartest, most creative and talented people.
so buzz of symbian.

if you can't understand you should know what group you belong to.

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ That will increase competition. And finally SE and Moto will get to implement good OSes and UIs.

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^^for ur kind info SE has a good OS in UIQ itself..It has a better UI than any nokia phone out there..and it also has touchscreen..the only touchscreen phone nokia had was the 7710 and it was UIQ..got it??

Pat

Beyond Smart
android seems buggy acc.to reports.

Arre baba, give it some time..It should be ok by release..
Nokia is surely feeling threatened by the overwhelming success of iphone and also the promise shown by android..Time to pull up its socks!

I remember the not-so-funny comment made by a Nokia guy regarding iphone sales..Wonder what they are thinking now ;)

praka123

left this forum longback
iphone -it cannot be believed.it is from apple.anytime they will lock out 3rd party software support.besides it got a puny 2MP camera.

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^They may do it..But what is the community there for ? ;) Also I am talking about the software platform and not the phone itself :)

praka123

left this forum longback
but what I read just now is ,that developers of googles very own android is complaining about the buggy codes which are very basic and the feedbacks are not properly received by google. so much for the name google :rolleyes:

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^ Oh I see..Lets hope the end-product turns out to be good..Also this tie-up may lead to a better UI experience for end-users..Time will tell!

chandru.in

In the zone
Yay!

Nice to see that the market leader of the mobile world (Nokia) is not interested in being a dirty monopolist like the market leader of the PC OS world (you know who). Whether Android or Symbian wins doesn't matter to me now. Anyway, both with be open-source platforms for the mobile world ensuring good amount of competition and innovation. As long as the two restrict iPhone and its jail like software platform to the niche area of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom