SATA to IDE 4 pin

Hi guys,

I have a pretty old comp. My smps had stopped working so had to buy a new one. The problem now is that it has got 2 SATA and 2 IDE connectors. And I need 3 IDE connector's, since my 2 HDD's and DVD drive are IDE compatible.

Is it possible to convert the SATA pin to IDE pin by a convertor or something?

Thanks

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Didn't you check the number of 4-pin connectors on the new PSU when you bought it? Any chance of exchanging it from the shop?

Anyway, I don't know if a 15-to-4-pin adapter is available, but it shouldn't be difficult for an electronics technician or an experienced hobbyist to solder extra 4-pin connectors to your PSU. The 4-pin cable-connector can be taken from an old PSU, even your dead unit.

OP
jack_the_ripper

jack_the_ripper

Dragon!
thanks for the reply.

Had asked a frnd to get it so dint specify the connectors type to him. :p

anyways il have to hunt for a connector..

came across this convertor "*imagehost.vendio.com/preview/a/35102294/aview/IDE.jpg" but what i need is the exact opposite of this.. i.e., female pin IDE..

is it easy to DIY at home?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
thanks for the reply.

Had asked a frnd to get it so dint specify the connectors type to him. :p
Ah, I see.

anyways il have to hunt for a connector..

came across this convertor "*imagehost.vendio.com/preview/a/35102294/aview/IDE.jpg" but what i need is the exact opposite of this.. i.e., female pin IDE..

Yes, the opposite is very common. This is because older PSUs didn't come with 15-pin SATA connectors or had only one or two so that there's a good demand for such adapters from people who want to use SATA drives with older PSUs. But there must be very little demand for the adapter you need. They may exist, but they'll probably be quite hard to find.

is it easy to DIY at home?
That depends on your experience in electronics, but if you have to ask, it's probably best not to attempt it yourself unless there's someone with more experience to help you. You'll have to solder the wires of the additional connector either to the circuit board (PCB) inside the PSU or to the existing wires and insulate the joints. Both modifications will void the warranty.

It will be easy for me or anyone with good experience, and I'd gladly do it for you if we lived close to each other. But alas! ...

If you know a friendly electronics technician or hobbyist (and don't mind voiding the warranty), ask him to do it for you. He'll have to open the PSU and solder the four wires of the added connector to the points on the board where the other wires of the same colours are already soldered. That's all really.

But make sure the person has enough knowledge and experience to do a good reliable job. Even a simple job can be badly botched by someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

Note: The internet service in my city has slowed down drastically since yesterday evening and it's barely crawling at a snail's pace now. Couldn't even view the image in your link. Even if I manage to post this, I may not be able to follow up for some time.

Top Bottom