SATA II shown as SATA I with A8N-E and win Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
My baic specifications are,
A8N-E, A64 3000 Venice, Hitachi 80 GB SATA II HDD ( HDS728080PLA 380), 512MB x 2 Transcend, Win XP (activated) etc.
Two problems are
1. The drive is detected as SATA I only (SATA II is enabled in Bios)
2. Despite being acclaimed and recommended by reviews in magazines, the drive is very noisy while reading and writing but otherwise silent and wihout problems.

It was after a long search that I could procure the particular drive.
Expecting comments and solutions and with thanks in advance.

V.Prem Kumar

G

gxsaurav

make sure u have installed the SATA drivers & Windows XP SP2, after that go to windows update, to check weather their is any QFE patch available from MS or not

also make sure, that u have the latest drivers for nforce chipset

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
gxsaurav said:
make sure u have installed the SATA drivers & Windows XP SP2, after that go to windows update, to check weather their is any QFE patch available from MS or not

also make sure, that u have the latest drivers for nforce chipset

Thanks for the prompt reply.
But my Win XP cd has SP II built in and hence no need of separately installing it. The latest chipset drivers from NVidia site has been downladed from their site 3 days back before updating Bios ftom the original Version 1005 to V 1008.
While istalling the chipset drivers, it was suggested that I better keep the windows SATA drivers and hence I did like that. Regarding updates from MS, I have installed all the critical updates available so far.

I it still necessary to search for the QFE patch.? BTW I heard somewhere that there is some utility from Hitachi which enables the SATA II functionality. Any more suggestions?

V.Prem Kumar

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Finally I found the answer myself.

By default, the drive comes configured as SATA I and to enable the SATA II functionality, a software patch called "Hitachi Feature Tool" is to be downloaded from their website and installed.

V.Prem Kumar.

TechGuru#1

In the zone
Hey Janitha,
did ur "Hitachi Feature Tool" work out properly & ur SATA 2 conversion done as expected?
By the way, did u install the above said software after instaallation of WinXP SP2 OS or b4 installation of OS & partitioning//i.e first time CLEAN install of OS?
Reply quick as bcoz i hav also a Hitachi SATA@ T7k Series 250Gb HDD,
so need info early!

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
TechGuru#1 said:
Hey Janitha,
did ur "Hitachi Feature Tool" work out properly & ur SATA 2 conversion done as expected?
By the way, did u install the above said software after instaallation of WinXP SP2 OS or b4 installation of OS & partitioning//i.e first time CLEAN install of OS?
so need info early!

I have downloaded it but not yet installed. BTW you can download the documentation for the "Feature Tool" also from their site (pdf) which contains all the details.

V.Prem Kumar

TechGuru#1

In the zone
janitha said:
TechGuru#1 said:
Hey Janitha,
so need info early!

I have downloaded it but not yet installed. BTW you can download the documentation for the "Feature Tool" also from their site (pdf) which contains all the details.

V.Prem Kumar

ALREADY DONE!
Let's C

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
TechGuru#1 said:
janitha said:
TechGuru#1 said:
Hey Janitha,
so need info early!

V.Prem Kumar

ALREADY DONE!
Let's C

Do you find any improvement after changing from I to II?

V.Prem Kumar

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
shivaranjan.b said:
Hello janitha

Can you post your benchmark scores of your Sata II drive in sata II and Sata mode???

Regards....

I shall do it since I have not yet installed it. But pl tell me how to do the benchmarking. Is it by using some SW or will the bundled Asus tools do?

V.Prem Kumar.

TechGuru#1

In the zone
Hey ppl with LARGE HDD ,can u pls reply my URGENT query
I got a HITACHI 250 GB HDD SATA2 & i partitioned & formated my drive with WINXP SP2,but in the process,i seemed to Loose abt 16-17GB HDD
Now IS THIS NORMAL for ANY "LARGE" HDD 2 loose so much space in the formatting & partitioning process?
I am at complete loss ?:(

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
TechGuru#1 said:
Hey ppl with LARGE HDD ,can u pls reply my URGENT query
I got a HITACHI 250 GB HDD SATA2 & i partitioned & formated my drive with WINXP SP2,but in the process,i seemed to Loose abt 16-17GB HDD
Now IS THIS NORMAL for ANY "LARGE" HDD 2 loose so much space in the formatting & partitioning process?
I am at complete loss ?:(

It shoud be 244.14 GB, if I am correct!

shovik

Banned
I think you have the SATA I jumper attached on the back side of ur hard drive. Check your Drive posterior part to find any jumper. If there is any remove it.

Regards,
Shovik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom