Sapphire 4870 display problem

jetboy

Journeyman
Hello Guys,

Digit forum had helped me with getting a great graphics card in the year 2008. I was very happy with the decision on buying Sapphire HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E. It has served me very well till now

Suddenly since last 2 days I have started getting a problem.

1) System boots up fine till the Windows 7 login.

2) As soon as I see the Windows Login screen, I also start seeing the white squares on half the screen or sometime black lines :-(

3) I removed the graphics card cleaned the dust and re-inserted the card. It worked for around 2 hours and then again the same problem :-(

4) Sometimes it goes so bad that all the the screens fills with white squares and red lines. The screen then blinks and then the white squares increases and also red vertical lines in background.

I tried removing the data cable from back and inserted into the internal graphics card slot and it works just fine. I can see that the temperature doesn't increase much..not more than 65 degrees.

Any idea as what I can do further? Can I get it to any service center in Pune? It bought it in the year 2008, so no longer under warranty. Please help me guys!!!!!!

Common Guys please help me out. 54 view but no reply :-(

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I learnt the hard way, as should you - next time, don't get Sapphire unless it's early stock and based exactly on the reference design from AMD.

MSI or Asus is the way to go for Radeons.

You can try putting a different power connector on the card to see if it still happens. If it does, the card is probably dead.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@AcceleratorX: I know it's sad..I know the card worked for good 3 1/2 years....but it should have worked more :'(

I will check swapping the power connector as mentioned. Thank You

AcceleratorX

Youngling
At least yours worked for 3.5 years.....:)

If you notice some of my previous posts I mentioned an Asus card that ran for 7 years and another Asus that still runs almost 9 years later :D

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Yes I saw those posts and was feeling more bad...For me putting 17k for the card was difficult that time and I thought I would not need upgrade it any soon, ateast the GPU..I could always upgrade the mobo and proc..which I was planning to do after some months..but now stuck with the GPU problem.

Top Bottom