Samsung trying to acquire AMD?!

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Not only the Software side aspect,but they (AMD) were also lagging behind Intel in advertising/propaganda aspect,despite their superior CPU's/APU's/Chipsets line up. Meanwhile Intel exhorted to shoddy business deals,backdoor politics,etc.....................(known by the Tech World).
Just see how many ads. about AMD were represented in media/multimedia whatsoever compared to that of Intel????
How many non-tech/non-geek persons(may be educated in other levels and studies) in India know about AMD's(or rather aware of) existence? Compared to that many non-tech ordinary persons know about Samsung ,Intel,Microsoft.
And don't forget the propaganda from Intel through shopkeepers and retailers that AMD overheats, which in India(don't know about rest of the world) was and still is used to sell Intel.

As for direction I think AMD has chosen the right one the APU route with low Watts parts with decent onboard GPU, only think holding these system back are the prices of motherboards. Cause with current going price of a A10 grade APU + decent Mobo , if you add few more bucks an Intel i3 + cheap mobo + lower mid end GPU is available which performs better. Only thing lacking is aggressive marketing which admit it Intel did way better than AMD with TV add in the 2000- 2010 decade.

I have never seen an AMD TV add in TV.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Remember when Microsoft bought Nokia, that was the best that could have happened for Microsoft, though the same was not to be said for Nokia. Today, though Microsoft has a better position for Windows (mobile), the Nokia brand took a huge damage, thanks to the trojan Stephen Elop. It will take some time for the Finnish company to get back to its former glory.

Im afraid I dont agree with this
This theory is just something android loyalists cooked up and said Nokia should have gone android
actually it should have continued Meego,Maemo or Symbian or gone full Wp7
the reason Nokia went down is because it wasted 3-4 years undecided on which OS to finally use
when the WP7-WP8 update fiasco happened,thats when Nokia declined
it wasnt because of Microsoft
Elop was an idiot for sure but not because of MS,he was not steering Nokia in a single direction
every few days , there would be rumours of which os they would use

as for Windows Mobile(earlier versions such as 6.5)
they were very popular and advanced
infact they held #2 after symbian in the mobile world
HTC,Sony,Moto etc all had Symbian and Windows Mobile handsets

Sorry for off-topic but people never really try to learn the truth

The rest of your comment was very good and correct but not the nokia part

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
And don't forget the propaganda from Intel through shopkeepers and retailers that AMD overheats, which in India(don't know about rest of the world) was and still is used to sell Intel.

As for direction I think AMD has chosen the right one the APU route with low Watts parts with decent onboard GPU, only think holding these system back are the prices of motherboards. Cause with current going price of a A10 grade APU + decent Mobo , if you add few more bucks an Intel i3 + cheap mobo + lower mid end GPU is available which performs better. Only thing lacking is aggressive marketing which admit it Intel did way better than AMD with TV add in the 2000- 2010 decade.

I have never seen an AMD TV add in TV.

I saw many buyers(particularly budding engineers and tech savvy guys) here at Kolkata held the same biased and preconceived false facts that AMD CPU's/APU's always heats up quickly and fails. How ridiculous,even without going deeper into facts and figures. Those heating up happened during the Athlon-XP days,simultaneously Intel Pentiums were also hotter much above what it is today.

p.s. Sorry for off topic,no flame war,no hard feelings

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I saw many buyers(particularly budding engineers and tech savvy guys) here at Kolkata held the same biased and preconceived false facts that AMD CPU's/APU's always heats up quickly and fails. How ridiculous,even without going deeper into facts and figures. Those heating up happened during the Athlon-XP days,simultaneously Intel Pentiums were also hotter much above what it is today.

I too have heard this BS talk from shopkeepers when I went with some friends for their PC/laptop shopping. AMD is good for buyers on a very tight budget and I would like to see a high end laptop CPU from them which beats the most common quad core mobile i7 at that time.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

actually AMD Athlon did heat up more than Intel
But its performance and price was wayy better than Intel
Intel was in bad shape at that time
their cpus(Pentiums) were underpowered compared to PowerPC and AMD
and also more expensive
But they ran cooler than AMD and PowerPC cpus
still hot compared to todays cpus though

- - - Updated - - -

I too have heard this BS talk from shopkeepers when I went with some friends for their PC/laptop shopping. AMD is good for buyers on a very tight budget and I would like to see a high end laptop CPU from them which beats the most common quad core mobile i7 at that time.

+10000 to that
AMD provides 6-core cpus for so cheap and for those wanting a system with more cores as a requirement for their needs,AMD is the best way to go
AMD heating issues were resolved after Athlon/Pentium Era,after that people just hate on AMD for no reason for their gpus and cpus
frankly I love their gpus more than nvidia
for a budget system,id take AMD cpus anyday
for a no-budget laptop system,id take intel cpus

I actually have an HP G6 with A8(30k) and a Inspiron SE 7520 with i5(56k)
was pleasantly surprised with AMD A8s performance!!

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
AMD is still lacking behind when compared to the processors line up. If the competition from AMD rises than only Intel is going to more prompt development.

if you see history AMD always came up with ground breaking new technologies for processor but the only factor failed them is most softwares are way behind for their time.

Actually, architecturally AMD CPUs are not far behind then Intel. Infact, they do have certain advantages as well as disadvantages vs Intel which evens out.Much like ATI graphics card and Nvidia.

Even though I too agree that software optimization for AMD chips is not as good as Intel. But, the main and primary reason for AMD to be behind is purely because of the fabrication process. Intel is already supplying 14nm cpus while AMD is still stuck on 28nm. You would always get better optimization, lower TDP etc with lower fabrication process.

AMD is quite competitive architecturally. But it's far behind in the fabrication process. And that's the only reason there cpus aren't able to compete with Intel.

And, I know very well that if somehow AMD would get there fabricating process same as Intel. There won't be much difference between the two.

$hadow

Geek in making
Actually, architecturally AMD CPUs are not far behind then Intel. Infact, they do have certain advantages as well as disadvantages vs Intel which evens out.Much like ATI graphics card and Nvidia.

Even though I too agree that software optimization for AMD chips is not as good as Intel. But, the main and primary reason for AMD to be behind is purely because of the fabrication process. Intel is already supplying 14nm cpus while AMD is still stuck on 28nm. You would always get better optimization, lower TDP etc with lower fabrication process.

AMD is quite competitive architecturally. But it's far behind in the fabrication process. And that's the only reason there cpus aren't able to compete with Intel.

And, I know very well that if somehow AMD would get there fabricating process same as Intel. There won't be much difference between the two.

it is not always about the architecture. you will only able to find a high end laptop with intel not AMD. AMD is now a days more related to budget conscious gamers and low to mid tier laptops.

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
it is not always about the architecture. you will only able to find a high end laptop with intel not AMD. AMD is now a days more related to budget conscious gamers and low to mid tier laptops.

Well, you are actually validating my point only. AMD don't have the fabrication process to produce 14nm chips. That's where the advantage lets vs 28nm. Laptop makers are using Intel in there high end laptops because of the underlying advantages of a smaller node which is low power consumption, lower heat production and ofcourse smaller sized chips with 14nm vs 28nm.

Today consumers are more aware than in the past. Advertising does play its role, but only upto an extent. It could hide small differences and incompetence in your favor. But when the difference is as huge as 14nm vs 28nm. It becomes a huge difference.
Nobody would prefer a bigger, more power hungry and higher heat producing chip in there portable devices.

And I again reiterate that in case AMD would be able to get the same node advantage then the competition would become like the one we have between nvidia and ati gpus. Both gets a chance to get on top of other and there is a gpu from both brands at varying price points from bottom to top with similar performace. A lot of times The difference between the two is so small that sometimes it becomes a matter of preference rather than performace advantage over the other if any.

But until or unless amd is able to get to the same node as Intel. There is not much that amd can achieve architecturally. And will remain the choice of budget minded or lower end customers.

Lenny

Journeyman
is this deal done? Can someone link an offiicial news post?

The acquisition may be good or bad... we'll never know until they announce. :)

kg11sgbg

Till date as of today, no official announcement or news from either AMD or SAMSUNG regarding this buyout/merging/acquisition...whatever it may be.

kg11sgbg

^Yes ,otherwise stray discussions will follow and it will eventually be out of the track.:wink:

People can choose Intel processor easily bcoz i7>i5>i3.
Also there generations of Intel processor 5th>4th>3rd>2nd>1st.

But this isn't the case with the AMD processors.

gameranand

Living to Play
A new series of CPUs are going to be released from AMD, I guess if that succeed then it might not happen at all. :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Who else wants AMD to release a proper FX 6300 refresh ? to battle against Intel's lower end i3s :mallet:

definately not samsung
they probably will shut down the desktop division altogether imho if samsung takes over

- - - Updated - - -

about APU vs FX, maybe they will release a powerful multicore(6 or 8 core) APU
fingers crossed

Top Bottom