Samsung trying to acquire AMD?!

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
That would be good for nvidia and would result in complete monopoly for Intel in desktop as well as laptop market. Samsung would like to acquire amd for there mobile section which mainly comprises of low power devices and won't be much concerned with desktop market.

Development on desktop front or laptop front would see a new low. And Intel might only sell the same cpu over and over again by changing it's name as long as it deems fit. Also nvidia that is known to overprice it's gpu. Would become a spoilt child that have lots of money to spare and no one can tell him what to do. They would sell obsolete tech at unbearable prices

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
That would be good for nvidia and would result in complete monopoly for Intel in desktop as well as laptop market. Samsung would like to acquire amd for there mobile section which mainly comprises of low power devices and won't be much concerned with desktop market.

Development on desktop front or laptop front would see a new low. And Intel might only sell the same cpu over and over again by changing it's name as long as it deems fit. Also nvidia that is known to overprice it's gpu. Would become a spoilt child that have lots of money to spare and no one can tell him what to do. They would sell obsolete tech at unbearable prices

This is the thing which I'm worried about the most. Their desktop share is declining, they don't have presence in mid-top range laptop segment and OEM's aren't adopting their high end laptop GPUs. :(

Okay, I should have added the word "flagship" to my comment. However I thought that the implication was easy to understand.

Zenphone 2, Oneplus One, Mi4, Moto X are flagships unless you assume that only samdung can make flagships. They aren't underpowered and overpriced unlike the entire samdung portfolio. :rolleyes:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
nooooo not samsung
Samsung and Facebook ruin all my favourite companies

- - - Updated - - -

AMD should remain separate, we need a competition to intel and Nvidia. If samsung acquired AMD, given how much bad samsung is with pricing, it may lead to increased prices of AMD CPUs and GPUs. :(

Add Yureka, Oneplus One, Desire 820 to that list too.

quite agree
i would like to add-samsung might even reduce quality of AMD products as well just like their own poor quality products

- - - Updated - - -

Rather Microsoft or Apple bought AMD
they would have better uses for AMD and might improve upon the company even more
heck even Apple could have used AMD Apus to create low cost Macs with relatively powerful configs

Samsung will only stagnate the growth and worsen it imho

$hadow

Geek in making
When a company gets acquired, it undergoes changes akin to star-formation cosmic event. I've been there, business strategies and decisions change so drastically and fast that its almost beyond all speculative scope. We can never predict what Samsung would do with AMD. They can also chuck the whole CPU operations and administer a total overhaul.

That is what the top management to decide.

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^ if that happens Intel users have to pay $500 for i3 level chips.

I was just saying, Samsung will take over the IP and produce new line of CPUs, dump AMD cpu lineups totally after stock clearance. Could be good.. AMD enthusiast level CPU's cant be worse. Truth be told, I have never seen any rig in any forum that high-profile without an Intel 4XXX series CPU, honestly, they know their stuff, money? yes they have that too.

I dont know if this feeling is wrong, but AMD CPUs are mostly popular in India? because...reasons?

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Er...they are cheap? The chips I mean, not Indians.

you got fking "A" with that.

It also means across the world, people who just dont give a shite about expenses ( the number of such is unsettlingly high ) will buy products from Intel and so, with premium..forever! when they know that they are looking for incredible numbers from their CPU. There is no doubt that the upper-tier Intel CPUs are fast, oh boy! They are holy-crap fast, but equally deadly in price.

So if samsung want this to take seriously now, they have to do a crazy upheaval with the CPU's to start with, may be channel a super-budget in the R&D department in which AMD's slogging hard. Make some mad-performing CPU's with some revolutionary tech..price them high but sanely high, and keep mid-consumer level products flowing with the same tech with lower tags.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
if you see history AMD always came up with ground breaking new technologies for processor but the only factor failed them is most softwares are way behind for their time.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
I was just saying, Samsung will take over the IP and produce new line of CPUs, dump AMD cpu lineups totally after stock clearance. Could be good.. AMD enthusiast level CPU's cant be worse. Truth be told, I have never seen any rig in any forum that high-profile without an Intel 4XXX series CPU, honestly, they know their stuff, money? yes they have that too.

I dont know if this feeling is wrong, but AMD CPUs are mostly popular in India? because...reasons?

Cheaper.Better performance will building entry level systems.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
you got fking "A" with that.

It also means across the world, people who just dont give a shite about expenses ( the number of such is unsettlingly high ) will buy products from Intel and so, with premium..forever! when they know that they are looking for incredible numbers from their CPU. There is no doubt that the upper-tier Intel CPUs are fast, oh boy! They are holy-crap fast, but equally deadly in price.

So if samsung want this to take seriously now, they have to do a crazy upheaval with the CPU's to start with, may be channel a super-budget in the R&D department in which AMD's slogging hard. Make some mad-performing CPU's with some revolutionary tech..price them high but sanely high, and keep mid-consumer level products flowing with the same tech with lower tags.

except samsung is the type of company which will worsen it

Just look at exynos- closed source,overpriced and underpowered,poor dev support,poor roms etc
I can imagine they will ruin AMD

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
if you see history AMD always came up with ground breaking new technologies for processor but the only factor failed them is most softwares are way behind for their time.

Not only the Software side aspect,but they (AMD) were also lagging behind Intel in advertising/propaganda aspect,despite their superior CPU's/APU's/Chipsets line up. Meanwhile Intel exhorted to shoddy business deals,backdoor politics,etc.....................(known by the Tech World).
Just see how many ads. about AMD were represented in media/multimedia whatsoever compared to that of Intel????
How many non-tech/non-geek persons(may be educated in other levels and studies) in India know about AMD's(or rather aware of) existence? Compared to that many non-tech ordinary persons know about Samsung ,Intel,Microsoft.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
also I dont think Intel will be threatened at all

One thing people forgot- x86 License
x86 License is non-transferable and Intel must re-approve

I dont think AMD taken over by samsung is gonna help the company or its fans

OP
sam_738844

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Not only the Software side aspect,but they (AMD) were also lagging behind Intel in advertising/propaganda aspect,despite their superior CPU's/APU's/Chipsets line up. Meanwhile Intel exhorted to shoddy business deals,backdoor politics,etc.....................(known by the Tech World).
Just see how many ads. about AMD were represented in media/multimedia whatsoever compared to that of Intel????
How many non-tech/non-geek persons(may be educated in other levels and studies) in India know about AMD's(or rather aware of) existence? Compared to that many non-tech ordinary persons know about Samsung ,Intel,Microsoft.

Bold--> Debatable and citation needed. I guess again its veering towards an AMD vs Intel thread, so i'll skip it.

About X86.

"No one but a handful of lawyers know what AMD’s x86 license agreement with Intel actually says, but we can extrapolate. Before its anti-trust settlement with Intel in November 2009, AMD operated under heavy restrictions: It could only hire third-party foundries like TSMC or IBM to manufacture a handful of its chips, it had to retain ownership of its fabs, and its x86 license would immediately vaporize if AMD were to be acquired by another company.

The exact terms of the 2009 settlement remain a secret. But it’s generally known that the new agreement relaxed some of the restrictions on AMD. Chimpzilla eventually agreed to cede its stake in GlobalFoundries, and it began using TSMC to manufacture x86 CPUs like Brazos and Kabini. Prior to the settlement, it had no such option. The one restriction that supposedly didn’t change, however, was that AMD is required to remain an independent entity. To the best of my knowledge, if Samsung acquires AMD, AMD’s x86 license is null and void. It’s not clear what would happen to the company’s already-manufactured inventory, or its PS4 and Xbox One designs — though presumably deals would be worked out to ensure that existing hardware could be sold and the rights of Microsoft and Sony to the hardware they paid for would presumably be respected.

Samsung would almost certainly jettison the x86 license and focus AMD on ARM silicon with ultra-mobile Radeon graphics hardware. Whether the combined company would retain any interest in the enthusiast GPU market or in features like heterogeneous system architecture (HSA) is anyone’s guess."

Source-- Samsung may be mulling an AMD acquisition ? here?s what could happen | ExtremeTech

$hadow

Geek in making
AMD is still lacking behind when compared to the processors line up. If the competition from AMD rises than only Intel is going to more prompt development.

kg11sgbg

Bold--> Debatable and citation needed. I guess again its veering towards an AMD vs Intel thread, so i'll skip it.

About X86.

"No one but a handful of lawyers know what AMD’s x86 license agreement with Intel actually says, but we can extrapolate. Before its anti-trust settlement with Intel in November 2009, AMD operated under heavy restrictions: It could only hire third-party foundries like TSMC or IBM to manufacture a handful of its chips, it had to retain ownership of its fabs, and its x86 license would immediately vaporize if AMD were to be acquired by another company.

The exact terms of the 2009 settlement remain a secret. But it’s generally known that the new agreement relaxed some of the restrictions on AMD. Chimpzilla eventually agreed to cede its stake in GlobalFoundries, and it began using TSMC to manufacture x86 CPUs like Brazos and Kabini. Prior to the settlement, it had no such option. The one restriction that supposedly didn’t change, however, was that AMD is required to remain an independent entity. To the best of my knowledge, if Samsung acquires AMD, AMD’s x86 license is null and void. It’s not clear what would happen to the company’s already-manufactured inventory, or its PS4 and Xbox One designs — though presumably deals would be worked out to ensure that existing hardware could be sold and the rights of Microsoft and Sony to the hardware they paid for would presumably be respected.

Samsung would almost certainly jettison the x86 license and focus AMD on ARM silicon with ultra-mobile Radeon graphics hardware. Whether the combined company would retain any interest in the enthusiast GPU market or in features like heterogeneous system architecture (HSA) is anyone’s guess."

Source-- Samsung may be mulling an AMD acquisition ? here?s what could happen | ExtremeTech

Just for clarification :--->
I am not any Fanboy of any products any more.
I puchased a DELL Inspiron 14 5447 laptop(October 2014,Diwali DELL SE Offer),which runs on Intel Core-i5 4210U CPU + AMD Radeon R7 M265 GPU together.
I don't believe in any sort of flame war and immatured thoughts about Intel vs AMD .
I was notifying the facts,which you had discussed and clarified in detail. Thank you.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Remember when Microsoft bought Nokia, that was the best that could have happened for Microsoft, though the same was not to be said for Nokia. Today, though Microsoft has a better position for Windows (mobile), the Nokia brand took a huge damage, thanks to the trojan Stephen Elop. It will take some time for the Finnish company to get back to its former glory.

In the case of Samsung acquiring AMD, the latter, though arguably the second largest desktop/laptop chip maker, is struggling against the heavy weight Intel. AMD and Intel are already late for the mobile party. But Intel has lots of resources at its disposal to gain a foot hold and they already have. I guess AMD does not know what direction to proceed (continue with desktop/laptop devices only or to diverge and invest in mobiles too). That may be the reason that this year AMD has spent the least on R&D in recent years. Samsung also does not have a solid outlook for its exynos. They are using their market presence to push the chips, but apart from Samsung themselves, I think, there are no takers. This may, for once, be a good outcome for Samsung, AMD and consumers.

There is plenty of hate for Samsung, largely because of their vast array of galaxy devices and lack of aesthetics in those devices (I am a [STRIKE]Samsung[/STRIKE] Samsung Galaxy hateboy too :D ). Otherwise, Samsung is doing just fine on other areas of consumer electronics. We should not look at this deal with a coloured eye, rather at an investor/consumer point of view.

kg11sgbg

Remember when Microsoft bought Nokia, that was the best that could have happened for Microsoft, though the same was not to be said for Nokia. Today, though Microsoft has a better position for Windows (mobile), the Nokia brand took a huge damage, thanks to the trojan Stephen Elop. It will take some time for the Finnish company to get back to its former glory.

In the case of Samsung acquiring AMD, the latter, though arguably the second largest desktop/laptop chip maker, is struggling against the heavy weight Intel. AMD and Intel are already late for the mobile party. But Intel has lots of resources at its disposal to gain a foot hold and they already have. I guess AMD does not know what direction to proceed (continue with desktop/laptop devices only or to diverge and invest in mobiles too). That may be the reason that this year AMD has spent the least on R&D in recent years. Samsung also does not have a solid outlook for its exynos. They are using their market presence to push the chips, but apart from Samsung themselves, I think, there are no takers. This may, for once, be a good outcome for Samsung, AMD and consumers.

There is plenty of hate for Samsung, largely because of their vast array of galaxy devices and lack of aesthetics in those devices (I am a [STRIKE]Samsung[/STRIKE] Samsung Galaxy hateboy too :D ). Otherwise, Samsung is doing just fine on other areas of consumer electronics. We should not look at this deal with a coloured eye, rather at an investor/consumer point of view.

+1, for this explanation.
Most of us do not have any hate for its consumer electronics products or even smart phones or tablets.

Top Bottom