Samsung Galaxy S II

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
I have been using the N900, so far and am completely more than satisfied with the Mini Computer Features it has, it gives you so much a experience of using a mini computer that you hardly miss your PC for e.g on a website if you wanna highlight, copy, paste a text it is so easy. I am sure lot of other Phones will also have it. But is it with the same ease and fluently that you can use this computer features in Samsung Galaxy S2.

Same here, I really don't find the need to switch on my desktop.

Browsing - Check
Downloads - Check
Doc editing & creating small excel sheets - check
Torrents - check
And much more.

I did use my friends N900 briefly, all I can say is the weight of S II makes it a different ball game altogether.

Kvishal

In the zone
Same here, I really don't find the need to switch on my desktop.

Browsing - Check
Downloads - Check
Doc editing & creating small excel sheets - check
Torrents - check
And much more.

I did use my friends N900 briefly, all I can say is the weight of S II makes it a different ball game altogether.

So apart from the weight, would you say that N900 has more computer like features ?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
N900 is more customizable if you're into linux & stuff. But for others its useless. If you keep the extra linux customization part, then S II is infinitely better in every other part,

Usability,
Portability,
Better display,
More battery life,
Much much thinner & lighter,
Future proof

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
^^^

All S2's have some issue or the other with the display. Yellow patch, blue tinge, color banding issues, ghosting...... Only the magnitude of issue differs from phone to phone.

+1

I am facing blue tinge and yellowness
Further reading revealed that its the heat that damages the oled(cpu/battery heat fires them), if you observe the heating pattern of s2 when you charge and browse
you will notice it heats slightly up from lower left corner where the yellow patch is max. and the extreme right which is cool is not yellow at all.

But I feel this phone is too powerful and is not made for everyone as its potential gets wasted.

I have copied 720p movies and the playback is seamless(tough sometimes the sync of sound goes missing)

The OTG cable just arrived today(200 bucks).
Will root tomorrow for enabling NTFS support.

Last edited:

Kvishal

In the zone
Hey Guys,

One of my friends is planning to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2 but after reading these issues with the yellow patch and the Blue tinge being there in the display of all the SGS-2 phones. He is a little worried that, what even if his brand new phone has it? Are there any points that he can look out for, so that his phone does not have it ? For e.g Like Buying from a Samsung Authorised Gallery (Samsung's own showroom) will that help.

How can he avoid buying such a Handset.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Nope, basically every phone has it. So there is no guarantee that you can avoid it. I myself replaced 3 phones and yet all three have issues, two of them were directly replaced by Samsung, and one from the dealer.

But it's like in many cases you can't notice the issue, only in some cases the problem is major and you can exchange it if you want to.

Kvishal

In the zone
Nope, basically every phone has it. So there is no guarantee that you can avoid it. I myself replaced 3 phones and yet all three have issues, two of them were directly replaced by Samsung, and one from the dealer.

But it's like in many cases you can't notice the issue, only in some cases the problem is major and you can exchange it if you want to.

Ok, and how can one notice if this problem is there or not in the first place ? What is the test ? any particular angle or corner, that you twist or turn the phone when it is visible !

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Ok, and how can one notice if this problem is there or not in the first place ? What is the test ? any particular angle or corner, that you twist or turn the phone when it is visible !

It is visible when the ambient light is low and the phone is on low brightness.
open a white page and there you see the yellow patch.

It is almost certain to happen no matter what you do, or if your cell does not have it, it will get it :p.

Kvishal

In the zone
It is visible when the ambient light is low and the phone is on low brightness.
open a white page and there you see the yellow patch.

It is almost certain to happen no matter what you do, or if your cell does not have it, it will get it :p.

That sounds more like a Curse (Shraap) :razz: Go...No matter what u do it !! U will get it... :lol:

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
but I don't even have the slightest regret, the phone is amazing... pop the brightness a bit and it vanishes. Blue tinge is somewhat irritating, but blue tinge is problem is some cells.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

Set Auto-brightness to off, reduce the brightness level to zero, If the yellow patch is significant, it should show up pretty much on any background, just look at the left side of screen.

Better still, do this in a dim lit room, with a white background, if you want to be sure ;)

Then the color banding can be observed on a grey background I guess.

Most of these issues won't show up in normal usage, suppose I see banding only when some dialog box pops up, the greyed out background clearly shows red and blue bands, sometimes they show up faintly on some backgrounds, that too only if you observe clearly.

Apart from that the phone is an absolute stunner, just that these little things can be annoying sometimes.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
No issues for me. Whether pink spot, yellow patch or blue tint. :p

+1. No issues here too. Best display I've ever seen.

On the contrary I do see an orange patch on my iPad 2. Esp. when I reduce the brightness & looks it against a blank webpage.

Kvishal

In the zone
Yesterday I saw the Samsung Galaxy Note And What a gem of piece it is...Surfing the net, watching movies, using it, is such a divine experience... wow ! It is like a Makhann ! Hats off truly to Samsung for coming out with such products...world class...It is not for no reason that now the latest sales figures indicate biggest threat to the iPhone Reign is from Samsung Galaxy's line of products which is already shaking iPhone's Throne on Supremacy !!

Good Job Samsung ! Good Job ! Kudos ! :grin:

Gaurav

In the zone
Use MyPhoneExplorer FJ Software Development
App available for Android.

Cool man.. This is a great software. I used to use it everyday when I was having SE W810i. Always wanted that it be ported to use with android phones. :)

I even posted a question over here for suggestion of an app that could synchronize an android phone with computer using bluetooth.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Top Bottom