Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) vs HTC Desire

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Since lot of people had problems about the desire being pitted and critiqued against the Galaxy S on the HTC Desire thread, i thought i would start a new thread. I want to buy a nice android device and i am confused between these two models. After reading reviews and seeing enough videos, i finally got the change to go and demo these two devices. Here are my reactions :

1. Galaxy S has a really ugly design, aesthetically this phone is a piece of cheap plastic. Sorry to be harsh, but thats the truth. it looks like the iPhone but feel wise its nothing like it (its worse). So feel wise, this device definitely takes a hit. The Desire on the other hand is smooth. Love the feel of the phone, it feels like a phone!
WIN : Desire

2. I did not notice a lag while swiping through the screens. The Touchwiz 3.0 UI is ordinary to say the least.If i buy it i would definitely look to replace it. The Sense UI is better, but honestly i would prefer stick android.
WIN : Desire Sense UI (better of two devils)

3. Performance : This is where the device scores, its a beast yes. Applications run fast and smooth. While the desire was fast, it was always feel behind a few seconds.
WIN : Galaxy S

4. Texting : I text a LOT. I have a Samsung Corby pro and this device is amazing for heavy texting! While both the desire and galaxy have on screen keyboard, i did not find it easy to type on galaxy s, despite the unique swype method. Ergonomically it was painful to hold the phone in one hand like a slate and swipe my index finger to type texts. i prefer to hold my device like a gamepad and text with my thumbs. The desire fits very comfortably and as many reviews have said, it has one of the best on screen keypads around
WIN : Desire

5. Gaming : Galaxy all the way. Noticeable difference, hell yes. Who wants to play games on phones? I DO! One thing i would like to compare is the gaming comparison with iPhone 3Gs. The game that i played was i think not on the iPhone so i could only test between these two devices and the performance on Galaxy S felt much better.
WIN: Galaxy S

===================

So here is where i am confused. The two most important things for me is texting and gaming. Desire wins in texting , Galaxy wins in gaming. however if the desire is on par or better in gaming as compared to the iPhone/iTouch then i am willing to settle :)

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
you said you have read a lot of reviews and seen videos but still you don't get it that no handset is better...it just depends on the personal choice. they provide nearly same comparable features. pick what suits you most.

In my case I would choose Desire.....but as none of them has a front camera (which is a must for me) I am planning to go with N8.

See, do you know why different people have different opinions? It is because they have different needs and different perspective. You should go by your needs and perspective. Such comparisons are fair only when comparing tow very different fones. Desire and Galaxy S are like siblings, you cannot decide by comparing same features they offer. :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
it feels like a phone!
???!!!

4. Texting : i did not find it easy to type on galaxy s, despite the unique swype method. Ergonomically it was painful to hold the phone in one hand like a slate and swipe my index finger to type texts. i prefer to hold my device like a gamepad and text with my thumbs.
NOw Who put an oath to u to use only SWYPE method while typing? If ur not used to SWYPE and practiced for long, SWYPE isn't easy to grab.
Again, Galaxy can also be held as a gamepad (I text only that way) and text with thumbs. If u can't reach a particular letter with ur thumb, then might be ur using the wrong thumb.
I might agree with ur other pointers but this I can't. I guess u've already decided to buy Desire and only justifying urself for not choosing Galaxy.

For indepth Galaxy vs. Desire try this thread. They have postmortemed both the phones here.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobile-monsters/130496-official-htc-desire-thread.html
[/QUOTE]

In my case I would choose Desire.....but as none of them has a front camera (which is a must for me) I am planning to go with N8.
I don't get it, has Samsung developed only one piece of Galaxy with front camera which I happened to posses or u just failed to notice it.

Galaxy has a front camera!!!!

Can't comment about Desire but Galaxy sure has a front camera. Its a VGA but if ur requirement is megapixel cam then look for other options.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
So here is where i am confused. The two most important things for me is texting and gaming. Desire wins in texting , Galaxy wins in gaming. however if the desire is on par or better in gaming as compared to the iPhone/iTouch then i am willing to settle :)

Do remember one thing. SenseUI may be aesthetically pleasing but it is a memory hog, slows down the phone after a while. Let me tell you why I would pick SGS over Desire.

1. Display: the 4" superAMOLED is a treat to the eyes. Not to forget the Gorilla glass.

2. keypad: bigger real estate means bigger keysize and better typing. forget about swype. Just use normal keypad, use your two thumbs and type. Thanks to the extra width, you can use the portrait qwerty or swype in SGS easily

3. multimedia: top notch audio quality, divx integration and lag free playback. No need to take the pain of converting every single video to compatible format

4. ROM: 2GB ROM! This is very useful for options like dual boot another OS, testing out ROMs if you are geeky enough to try it out. If I am right, SGS has become one of the favourite phones for modders. This is one of the highest selling phones running Android and obviously, modders pick it with more interest. A brief chat with kalpik will give you truckload of information on modding that is happening for SGS.

5. Battery: much better battery life.

Note: i didn't mention some positives that are already provided in earlier threads.

Desire scores in UI and build quality department. But if you want a phone that does better in these departments, there are tonnes of phones. But not many are as versatile as SGS.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
NOw Who put an oath to u to use only SWYPE method while typing? If ur not used to SWYPE and practiced for long, SWYPE isn't easy to grab.
Again, Galaxy can also be held as a gamepad (I text only that way) and text with thumbs. If u can't reach a particular letter with ur thumb, then might be ur using the wrong thumb.
I might agree with ur other pointers but this I can't. I guess u've already decided to buy Desire and only justifying urself for not choosing Galaxy.
On the other hand, I love Swype :) I can't type on a normal keyboard now!

Do remember one thing. SenseUI may be aesthetically pleasing but it is a memory hog, slows down the phone after a while. Let me tell you why I would pick SGS over Desire.
That is not true. First hand usage suggests otherwise. TouchWiz is a piece of crap. Sense is actually pretty well crafted and is less of a memory hog for me.

1. Display: the 4" superAMOLED is a treat to the eyes.
No second thoughts! The display is gorgeous :)

3. multimedia: top notch audio quality, divx integration and lag free playback. No need to take the pain of converting every single video to compatible format.
I would rate both phones the same here. The only differentiating factor is GL 2.0 gaming.

4. ROM: 2GB ROM! This is very useful for options like dual boot another OS, testing out ROMs if you are geeky enough to try it out. If I am right, SGS has become one of the favourite phones for modders. This is one of the highest selling phones running Android and obviously, modders pick it with more interest. A brief chat with kalpik will give you truckload of information on modding that is happening for SGS.
I find Desire (and all HTC phones in general) to be more hacker-friendly.

5. Battery: much better battery life.
Completely disagree. Desire has much better battery life in my case.

@OP:
One-to-one comparison SGS wins against Desire. Many of the above things that I stated above can easily be overcome with a rooted device or custom rom if you buy an SGS, so you don't lose anything except of course looks!

You should actually be comparing the Desire HD/Z and the SGS. They are the same generation devices. Desire is one generation behind.

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
???!!!

For indepth Galaxy vs. Desire try this thread. They have postmortemed both the phones here.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobile-monsters/130496-official-htc-desire-thread.html

The HTC Desire has a better build quality. The SGS is flatter, wider and more rectangular. In terms of holding in your hand, i felt, the Desire felt better. Much better.
No, I have not decided to buy either of the phones.
Yes, I have read through most pages of that thread, i referred to it in my post too(about not many people liking the comparison :p )

I will try to give the SGS another go at typing using the normal keypad. Scales are tilting in SGS's favor - Good for gaming and modding. Hopefully the guy doesnt get annoyed, this will be the third time i go to his shop and play with his SGS !

Top Bottom