Samsung 19" LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Hi guys,

I know this question may be a little out of place here but I need some help.

Samsung sells their 19" montors (Samsung 920BW ) monitors with a in-box power supply cable that is a 15 amp power supply ( The big one we use for water heaters).

The wall socket that I have is a 5 amp power supply socket( small ordinary one) .

What will be the implications if I buy a convertor and convert the 15 amp plug to 5 amp.

Can someone please explain this concept to me.

Also is it good if I connect the monitor at the back of the cabinet in the socket provided( SMPS socket ) , but for this I will have to purchase the cable. Keep in mind samsung gave a 15 amp plug ( and thats the reason I ask).

Is the direct to the wall option better or the second one.

Please give me your views. Thanks.

sandeepk

Journeyman
sourav said:
connecting directly to cpu is bad (power supply at theback of cpu)
Why do you think that is the case? If it was bad then why it is provided in the first place? I have been using it for more than 4 years (since when I purchased my PC). It does not harm any part of the computer.
If you have any specific reason then tell me. If it is a valid reason then I will stop using that connection and will use the wall socket instead. Other members will also benifit from your advice if it is that useful.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Yes it's true that monitors were connected to the SMPS but newer PSU don't even have a socket to connect the monitor. The reason is that the current-gen components are power hungry :D so, to take off load from the PSU it is recommend to run monitor off the mains (so no socket is provided in the SMPS for the monitor).
Even I had a pc with 14" monitor (5 years back) that was connected to the PSU and worked without any problem.

ECE0105

In the zone
Me using the same monitor and Did not even bother to open the Power Cable. Using the cable from my old Compaq CRT Monitor and it works perfectly fine.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Well there is no specific reason. I just thought that the manufacturer gave a in-box wall socket plug so there may be a reason for that.

Plus now - a - days many people are connecting to the wall directly and ofcourse to reduce the power load consumption on the SMPS because there are many other power hungry devices sucking.

My previous monitor came with a smps based plug while the new one comes with the other type, so the doubt creeped in.

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
godsownman said:
Well there is no specific reason. I just thought that the manufacturer gave a in-box wall socket plug so there may be a reason for that.

Plus now - a - days many people are connecting to the wall directly and ofcourse to reduce the power load consumption on the SMPS because there are many other power hungry devices sucking.

My previous monitor came with a smps based plug while the new one comes with the other type, so the doubt creeped in.

By connecting to the socket behind the SMPS will not load the SMPS because it is only a parallel connection to the AC supply to the SMPS and the outputs of the SMPS are all DC.(12V, 3.3V, 5V etc) At the same, time loading it with a monitor, especially CRT is best avoided since the initial surge current drawn from the input supply point of the SMPS can affect the smoothness of the output of the PSU.

But I wonder why they are bundling 15A socket/cable with a 19" LCD which may consume only about 35W. Even older CRTs which consumed 100+W needed only 5A cables!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom