Safari coming to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Lolz..Ok, then lynx is good :D

This just in, Security researchers found security bugs in Safari for Windows just hours after it was released.

nagarjun_424

Journeyman
posting this message from safari for windows... downloaded it about 3 hours ago... seems like a pretty decent browser... however, i cant get the "ctrl + enter" to work in order to fill up *www. as prefix and .com as suffix... also, there is no shortcut to switch between tabs (or is there, cuz i cant seem to figure it out)... the layout is typically mac (i like the layout)... it also seems to be a little slower the ff actually (contradictory to what his steveness mentioned in his keynote)... so apple, get back to the lab and work on it... thers nothin that apple cannot conquer!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
nagarjun_424 said:
i cant get the "ctrl + enter" to work in order to fill up *www. as prefix and .com as suffix...
That is not required in any other browser apart from Internet Explorer. Simple enter 'apple' and hit Enter to go to *www.apple.com/. :)
There is another cool feature in Safari that isn't there in any other browser. I am quoting one of my own posts from earlier in this thread:
aryayush said:
BTW, here's a quick tip for the people who try out Safari. You can type 'apple/getamac/ads' in the address bar to go to '*www.apple.com/getamac/ads/index.html'. It automatically inserts '*www.' and '.com'. :)

nagarjun_424 said:
also, there is no shortcut to switch between tabs (or is there, cuz i cant seem to figure it out)...
'Ctrl + Shift + ]' and 'Ctrl + Shift + ['. You can most probably change that. At least, I can on my Mac.

rajasekharan

Youngling
there is something wrong with the comp ...for me its 20mb , i have now opened 4 pages and its showing 24mb ...thats all...:)

devil_me

Broken In
This browser sux. six security flaws have been found on the browser letting system to crash and allowing to launch malicious code on the machine.
Donno what will apple endup with....
Here is the source.
*livedeviant.com/security-and-cyber-crime/unsecure-apple-safari-browser-for-windows-2.html

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Do you know what the word 'beta' means? It refers to software that is still in the development phase and is not yet ready for prime time. It is distributed (generally free of cost) to users so that they can test it and report bugs to the company so that they may be fixed in the final shipping version.

Safari 3 is a beta product at present so please treat it as such. You cannot yet decide whether "this browser sucks" or rocks.

eddie

El mooooo
I have not tried Safari on Windows but just hit this article on Wired.
Who in Their Right Mind Would Run Safari on Windows?
It makes perfect sense for Apple to release its Safari web browser for Windows, but the question is: What right-thinking Windows user would want it?

Steve Jobs' unexpected announcement Monday that the public beta of Safari 3 runs on Windows left the crowd at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco murmuring its approval.

But the initiative seems to rely on a domino theory fueled by infatuation. Apple is hoping there are Windows users so in love with their iPods and iTunes that they will also download Safari. Then they'll fall in love with that, and the next thing you know they'll be down at the Apple Store fishing for their credit cards.

There's only one problem with that scenario -- Safari sucks. A lot of Mac users won't run the browser (I'm one of them), so why would anyone run it on Windows?
I don't know the reality but this guy seems pretty pissed with Safari :|

rajasekharan

Youngling
atleast it did not suck for me...:), dont know what made him say so...its strange is it, peoples these days gives one look at anything and says "a flaw has been discovered , it sucks" .

vista, linux, apple , games , browsers ....you name them and you will hear someone or the other saying "man , it sucks". well, not that am saying nothing wrong in expressing ones expressions just that sometimes peoples dont give the s/w enough time to grow..:p

anandk

Distinguished Member
"It appears that the current version of Safari, which is more of an alpha version, has problems rendering text on web page, adding bookmarks and crashes often. The Safari support forums on the Apple website are flooded with complaints from Windows Users who are also facing similar problems while loading web pages inside Safari." Here is the useful link *discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=169

Also : Fix Fonts Issues in Safari 3 for Windows
*labnol.blogspot.com/2007/06/fix-fonts-issues-in-safari-3-for.html

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
kumarmohit said:
GX its Mohit not Rohit!, you see.

Is there any free alternative to admuncher, except AdBlock in FFx, like something that uses AdBlock lists for providing systemwide protection.

www.floppymoose.com

No need for any ad-blocking software. ever.

Edit- This is for Mozilla browsers and Safari.

sandeepk

Journeyman
On my computer it is very slow and takes about 35 MB with only one tab open. It does not responds to any mouse click /key press until it loads the whole page. Also the load time for Safari is not quick as quoted by others. It usually takes more time than even FF and IE7.

OP
kumarmohit

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Thanks man but, I already have AdBlock Plus for these(Except Safari, which I dont test - on Windows that is), what I want is something acting like a filtering proxxy between the net and my PC. so I can block ads in IE, Opera etc.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
gx_saurav said:
^^^^ Have a look here

Hey, it's in beta stage for windows.

When Vista's Explorer took 800MB of RAM, many said it's still at beta stage and is going to be better when the final edition is released.

huh. For god's sake, Please stop replying to apple related threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom