Safari coming to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Coming Soon, I knew El Jobso was saving the big thing for the last.

*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t763340_SafarionWindows.jpg

And oh iPhone will have AJAX apps too.

Its there, *www.apple.com/safari/download/

Get it if you want. Be sure to check the middle windows flag, else you will get Quicktime forced as well.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yup it is coming, & looking at the track record of Apple Software on Windows & how good they make apps for Windows (read:Memory hogs) i can just laugh at them for porting safari to windows :p. I mean we already have a memory hog here called firefox, & now another Apple Junk after resource hog iTunes & useless Quicktime player (Apple, for gods sake, make QT directshow for Windows)

Oh & Safari having AJAX application i good, i guess a web messenger like meebo isn't that far. But I wonder about the speed compared to a native application

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
WOW, lets see what safari can do to my system... already its crawlling , now my PC will run at snails pace :x . OPERA RULES :D

Last edited:
OP
kumarmohit

kumarmohit

Technomancer
sachin_kothari said:

I have put on the screenshot, of the Apple WWDC Webcast (Sorry for the delay) from macrumourslive.com, so source can either be Steve or Macrumourslive;)

As for apple apps for windows being memory hogs, gx, totally agree man.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
a crappy browser ;) now every1 will try if something goes wrong its MS fault apple's software cant have any fault :x

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ hmmm speaking vista-ish... I have never tried to install iTunes on vista.. has ony one done it ??? How does it look .. same as XP or is there any eyecandy effects?? ;)

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Talk about memory hogging...64MB RAM for just 1 website here on XP!!! And while installing uncheck bonjour service. It does no good and is another memory hogger useless service!!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
charangk said:
^^ hmmm speaking vista-ish... I have never tried to install iTunes on vista.. has ony one done it ??? How does it look .. same as XP or is there any eyecandy effects
no difference it has the default itunes look ... jaisa it looks on xp ;)

coming back to the opic ... finally jobs has realised that if he wants to survive and get some part of the pie he has to start offering his stuff on windows based machines and windows...

first it was itunes for ipod on windows
then the switch to intel based systems so that windows can run on macs
then this ... its a bigger picture jobs has finally realised ;)

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ Yuck .. WPF Rocks :D .. ..

PS: OMG ... Sorry guys .. i diverted from the topic.

LOL Just installed in one of my collegues system and it crashed :D

Last edited:
OP
kumarmohit

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Its a memhog .

About 50 MB of RAM with one single tab open

*www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t763728_SafariRAM.jpg
Though seems to have nifty, predictive URL completion feature, that's slick. There are some problems with Bookmarks menu, though, cant show imported marks properly.

First impression - Beta, goes out, uninstalled in like 10 minutes. Not giving a retry till final release, and I put more RAM in laptop. FFx is enuf of a RAM eater for me as of now.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
Classic gx. Not even used it but already started hammering it.

Lolz...I am posting from Safari 3 beta for Mac right now. Got the Windows version downloaded. Oh & about bashing it....navjot just gave prove. :D

navjot said:
Talk about memory hogging...64MB RAM for just 1 website here on XP!!! And while installing uncheck bonjour service. It does no good and is another memory hogger useless service!!

Rohit said:
First impression - Beta, goes out, uninstalled in like 10 minutes. Not giving a retry till final release, and I put more RAM in laptop. FFx is enuf of a RAM eater for me as of now.

Goobi, you got Vista on a PC, plz run it yourself & post a screenshot here for Memory usage.

LOL Just installed in one of my collegues system and it crashed

Don't worry, it is beta. Plz submit the bug :).

Higher Memory usage is expected cos it is beta software & memory leaks are not yet fixed

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
every 1 see this thread:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=522656#post522656

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Oh...k, now using Safari for Windows. Apple really doesn't know how to make applications for Windows. Writing this post from Safari for Windows.

1) I doubt if they compiled it using GDI :p. this is how it hanged while loading apple.com & when I resized it.

*img55.imageshack.us/img55/9995/slowresizego8.th.jpg

2) You cannot customise the toolbar at all. You cannot add buttons to open a new tab or new Window from the toolbar. Either use the file menu or keyboard shortcut of ctrl+T or ctrl+N

3) It is compiled using Visual Studio 2005 I think, cos it is using VC++ 8.0 dll files. It loads very fast

4) Pages render & open very slow. Even IE 7 is fast.

5) No Adblock or extension support. Safari Mac plugins do not work in Windows. Oh well, Windows has Ad muncher :p

6) Memory & resource hog. 90 MB when opening Apple.com in one window only & 123 MB when opening 2 windows.

This is my screenshot.

*img48.imageshack.us/img48/2125/highmemoryusageim5.th.png

This is a screenshot I saw at neowin.

*dazzy.org/img/screenshots/safarisucks.PNG

7) You cannot cycle throguh tabs using ctrl+tab

8 ) It scrolls one line at a time. gr8

9) The window behavior isn't correct. Minimizing the window then restoring it should return it to the maximized state I had it at before minimizing. Instead, it opens to a non maximized size.

Apple, for gods sake this is Windows. Use some UI elements from Windows, don't slap your Mac UI here, it looks horrible. Why can't apple use WPF for iTunes, Quicktime & Safari.

Goobi, I urge you to try it on Vista. i don't bash Apple if they don't deserve bashing.

Last edited:

rajasekharan

Youngling
am gonna try it today night....:), i dont mind 123 mb usage , i got 2g ram...:p.

anyways i have my trusted firefox, IE and opera as backup, in case i dont like it...:p

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
i don't bash Apple if they don't deserve bashing.
Congratulations! You just (inadvertently, I am sure) posted the funniest statement in the world. :lol: Ha! Ha!

I do agree that Safari on Windows is the worst decision ever.

BTW, here's a quick tip for the people who try out Safari. You can type 'apple/getamac/ads' in the address bar to go to '*www.apple.com/getamac/ads/index.html'. It automatically inserts '*www.' and '.com'. :)

Thanks for a good laugh, BTW. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom