S-Video for transfer to PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsoft

Journeyman
I used to transfer my home videos using Firewire, but now the port in my handycam doesn't work anymore. Sony service centre ppl said it wud cost a lot to repair the port so m now using USB. However, i have an S-Video port in my cam. Can i use this port to transfer my videos to my pc? If i can, which peripheral shud i use to do so?

nil_3

In the zone
You need an analog capture card or a TV Tuner Card in your PC(will be fitted in your PC's PCI slot). Just like your digital capture card with firewire port, the analog capture card has an audio-video port(three jacks of one video and two audios) and may be an s-video port(you have to check it before purchase). If there is no s-video port, you can still capture video by using an s-video to audio-video cable or through the audio-video port(all Sony camera has audio-video port). Quality is same in both the cases.
Quality is much inferior if you transfer video through analog process. So it is not recommended. Better service your firewire port.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ even i was about to tell the same thing .I want add one more thing . if you are able to copy using the USB port then stick to it , where as if you use analog capture, the quality will be a bit reduced.

OP
plsoft

plsoft

Journeyman
charangk said:
^^^ even i was about to tell the same thing .I want add one more thing . if you are able to copy using the USB port then stick to it , where as if you use analog capture, the quality will be a bit reduced.
You mean the quality of video with USB transfer is better than S-Video or AV? If dats the case, i'm sticking to my USB.

nil_3

In the zone
charangk said:
...if you are able to copy using the USB port then stick to it , where as if you use analog capture, the quality will be a bit reduced.

Not exactly. Actually data transfer through USBs(even USB2) never maintain a sustained speed which is extremely required in case of capture. That is why the captured video shows streaming which is a highly unaceptable phenomena. Little duration videos may not show it but in the long run it must show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom