Well i got my new comp today.

following rig :

Processor : Phenom X3 8450 Tri-Core
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
Cabinet : i-ball gamer with integrated 450 watts psu
HDD : seagate 500 gb
RAM : transcend 2 gb stick
K/B + mouse : Logitech 90 wireless

This was the first time that i was assembling a PC myself. I hastily put together the system and wanted to start the machine. I plugged the CPU cable to my UPS and pressed the start button. Nothing happened. I tried different combinations of power pin on the motherboard front panel array, on one combination after i pressed start button there was a blast like sound from the SMPS.
Well thats it. I cant fit my current SMPS of P4 to the other rig as it is 4 pins short. I cant stop worrying abt it. I need to know guys. Did i blow up the entire comp or just the SMPS. plz reply. I cant sleep without knowing.

is no one there?

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
It's not possible at this stage to say if you blew up everything, sorry. But you can use your P4 PSU (SMPS) even if the main ATX power connector has 20 pins instead of 24. The extra 4 pins just provide extra wires for some of the lines already included in the standard 20 pins. Just plug the connector into the top 20 pins and leave the bottom 4 pins blank.

But before you attempt to turn it on again, make sure you follow all connecting instructions correctly. Don't play around with them again.

There's a slight chance that the PSU blew up for other reasons -

1) Your UPS may be giving out too high a voltage and blew the PSU filter capacitors. I've seen this happen with cheapo UPSes. Or it may be the fuse blowing.

2) Is your PSU one of those with a 115/230-V switch at the back? and did you switch it to 115V? That is one sure way of blowing up your PSU.

OP
SKA!

SKA!

Broken In
no it is not 115/230, there is "only 230 volts" written on the new PSU back,

i did use my old cpu cable when this new psu blew up, as with the new one there was no response from the machine.

:( i'll try to sleep now, long day ahead tomorrow.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Hard to imagine how a change of power cord could blow up a PSU. But it's always possible that there's some unusual factor I haven't thought of yet.

I suggest you disconnect the hard disk, optical drive (you didn't mention any), graphics card (if any), even the keyboard and mouse. Leave only the motherboard, processor, and RAM; connect the P4 PSU or another good one. Then try to turn it on again.

acewin

Point Blanc
not easy to blow up without really wrong power supply, so take help of anyone else who can check. Its really hasty if you try it on your own completely when you do not know.

when you get up check if you need to work on with new SMPS or not.
Does the SMPS fan works when you switch it on connecting to UPS(do not plug your supply cable to mobo).
The first stage of blewing your system is your mobo. Not everything can go wrong.

If you have put proccy wrongly in the mobo it would not boot.
But in your case if I am not wrong you are saying you took off the power cables from mobo and are retrying to put them back. And thats how it blew if it would have.

OP
SKA!

SKA!

Broken In
I suggest you disconnect the hard disk, optical drive (you didn't mention any), graphics card (if any), even the keyboard and mouse. Leave only the motherboard, processor, and RAM; connect the P4 PSU or another good one. Then try to turn it on again.

I'm taking this thing tothe dealer, dont have the heart to try anything now.

I just remembered that my UPS is 500VA (APC 500) and the new PSU was 450 watts, can 500 VA supply enough power of 450 watts?

OP
SKA!

SKA!

Broken In
Just came back from the dealer, he told me that the motherboard is not damaged :)
the PSU however is damaged, and he kept my machine, till he gets the replacement PSU, he told me he will make the connections of front panel for me.

The problem that caused this blast was that i had plugged the floppy power cord in the 4-pin SYS_FAN port on the motherboard. thats what my dealer told me.Ignorance is not a bliss.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I just remembered that my UPS is 500VA (APC 500) and the new PSU was 450 watts, can 500 VA supply enough power of 450 watts?
A UPS is like a PSU (SMPS) in the sense that you cannot rely on the mnfr's label. Some 450W PSUs can actually supply 450W while some will struggle at anything over a 300W load. It's the same with UPSes.

I have been using a 500VA UPS each for two of my computers (configs upgraded from time to time), both with CRT monitors, for the past 5 years. No problem.

The rating of a PSU is not the power it consumes. It is the amount of power it can supply to the rest of the computer. A 450W PSU at full load will draw roughly 500W from the UPS, but that will rarely happen. The actual power used by the system (excluding monitor) may vary from something like <150W idle to >300W working hard. The exact figure depends on the configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom