Running GPU fans at 100% + Other questions

flyingcow

Shibe
NOTE: Before you judge- I am fully aware that a mainstream card such as this one should not be expected to be a good overclocker, nor should i expect a large performance increase from overclocking it, and i do not intendto do it for performance boosts, rather to get some experience with OC.

Hey guys im buying a new GPU in a year or so...
so i have decided to OC my zotac gt 630, i have a reserve gpu just in case, if something goes wrong ;)
Base clocks were these
810 core clock
667 memory clock
Ran the MSI Kombustor's 3-4 tests, noted the temps and scores. the temps were somewhere around 87 at max

I bumped it up to 850 and 720 respectively
then on running the test im getting about 93 degree max...
Note-the temps are high because them ambient temps are high today (summer)
and the fans were at 100%

I wanted to know
1.Is keeping fans at 100% good for GPU? (when under load ofc, non load fan speed is 54 %), i can bear the noise, and i want it to last 1 year...lets say 2 years
2.Should i bump up the memory clock? i heard that no use of bumping memory clock on ddr3 memory, is it true)

I ran the GPU burn in test for about 10 mins and noticed no artifacts.
I am no experienced OCer and this is my first OC so any tip helps :)
P.S. The PSU is 400w HP OEM, didnt have any problems with it until now, but looking forward to change it ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. the other tests still run at the same test as he ones i ran b4 OC
there is about 8 fps(avg) increase there- 100 to 108
also will the temps be lower in normal games compared to the kombustor test?

- - - Updated - - -

guys checked again the temps arent crossing 82 degree and the Kmark test is showing a whopping difference of 9 FPS and the score was p909 and now it is p965
graphics score
before- 1497
now-1599

physics score
before-1125
after-1180

combined score
before-435
after-472
i dont know if these scores matter but i will be testing it with skyrim

- - - Updated - - -

skyrim performance is fine with 5-6 fps increase :)

There is no problem in running fans at 100%. Also, use heavy games for testing. When I used to overclock my 8400GS, it easily withstood Kombustor for 15 mins but crashed when running MW3. So also use games to testing.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
There is no problem in running fans at 100%. Also, use heavy games for testing. When I used to overclock my 8400GS, it easily withstood Kombustor for 15 mins but crashed when running MW3. So also use games to testing.

+1 to this..

Stress testing is only half of the testing methods. Testing the performance on real time apps/games are very much required to assess the stability.

Top Bottom