Rumor Control: AMD to Release Triple-Core Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
AMD's Phil Hester has recently criticized what he calls the "core for cores sake" approach to churning out microprocessors. In light of those comments comes an interesting rumor about a new triple-core desktop microprocessor that AMD could be releasing as early as January.

According to the Inquirer, the so-called Phenom X3 -- which would have three processing engines as opposed to the quad-core Phenom FX series -- could give the company some much-needed leverage against Intel, at least from a marketing perspective. While it's a relatively easy matter to disable one core, Intel wouldn't be able to effectively produce a tri-core processor at this point because of the way the company currently approaches quad-core -- slapping two dual-core dies into a single-socket CPU. AMD, on the other hand, can do tri-core due to its Direct Connect architecture, which provides a dedicated channel between the CPU cores and from each CPU out to the system memory.

While it's still unclear whether the rumored tri-core chips will simply be based quad-core chip with one core disabled, it's largely believed that the processors will at least tout the same architectural selling-points as their quad-core relatives like the shared L3 cache and HyperTransport technology.

That said, a triple-core chip wouldn't necessarily be a homerun for AMD. Other than to point out that its competitor doesn't have one, it's not immediately clear how AMD would market such a chip as it would theoretically compete with both dual-core and quad-core Intel processors, as well as AMD's forthcoming quad-core Phenom and its existing Athlon X2 chips.

Source

sourav

In the zone
what's the point of buying an triple core processor, now quad processors are available and it also says that it has one core disabled

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Heh next thing we know is MS will fit the XBOX 360 with AMD Triple-Cores then :p

Till then enjoy the russian triple-core :))
*www.englishrussia.com/?p=547

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^ Is it true... or just an another rumor?

Once there was a rumor when ATi tied up with AMD.... rumors said... AMD CPU's will be integrated in ATi GPU's !

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
That ATi thing is bound to happen soon, known as AMD Fusion
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion

This thing is hardly likely cause there isn't a need for 3 cores when its just another small step to make it 4 and even .. Though I don't know about it but in multi-core desktops, am all for Intel.

OP
Gigacore

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^ Intel has made a test with its 8 Core Recently
*www.legitreviews.com/article/521/1/

And Intel has also pledged to make 80 Core CPU in 5 Years!!! says CNET
*news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6119618.html

And some sources say in few decades intel is going to make a Kilocore CPU (1024 Cores), then the MegaCore and then the Gigacore.......... :)

devil_me

Broken In
gud idea.. i m thinking of changing my name to tera core.. that would fetch me more $$$$ coz.. as time period moves on the money increases.. or to just get it earlier.. i ll make it megacore.. so i can get the copyrights money earlier than gigacore.. :p... wooo i m creative. LOLZ

mavihs

Techie By Heart
i'm thinking 2 change mine to kilocore. ;)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ its all about money honey!!!;) hehe he heh

i get money in ten years time. i just can't wait 2 register the name. ;):D :D

Last edited:

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
common. three cores wont hurt....... the architechture maybe such that it'll synchronize the two working cores ....
well i take the idea from birtualisation technology.... a quad core can run 3 Virtual machines together , perhaps more but best when 3 are run...... the 4th core synchronises the other 3 working cores and runs the VT program...

that could be the funda in triplw core AMD!! :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom