Rumor: Apple to Switch Back to Nvidia for 2012 GPUs

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
so no more AMD GPU in macs or they'll use both? also i guess by mac they mean both the desktop as well as laptop counterpart.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be surprised by this. Reason being, Apple is the spearhead of OpenCL/DisplayPort and nVidia's OpenCL performance can be weird depending on the platform. But people don't buy a Mac to use Windows/Linux, so that isn't an issue as far as it runs fine on OS X. Just a rumour, which *might* turn out to be true. But Apple = fraction of laptops/desktops sold. Won't make much of a loss to AMD or gain to nVidia.

Apple has the habit of moving to and fro. They also had iMacs with Radeon HD 2600 Pro and Macbook Pros with Mobility X1600. Full laptop line being nVidia and Desktops being Radeon around 2009. lol. So, no big deal as Apple is *weird*. Source is SemiAccurate anyways. lol.

A 1 lakh Apple notebook will always have a GPU which you find in 40k laptops. But I'll only buy an Apple laptop. :thumbs:

sukesh1090

Adam young
why apple is shifting to Nvidia when AMD is releasing 7000HD.hm...I know apple may use this 7000,2-3 years later when its get out dated.:wink:

Top Bottom