ROM for galaxy s4

Deadman

Journeyman
Even after a fresh format and few months later i don't know where the geebees of space start shrinking without installation of any heavy apps or any files. Though the mobile is working normal as usual but don't know where this space goes i cant even install a 20 mb app.
I had installed some resurrection rom from which i switched back to official rom after 1 hr mainly because I did not like the camera app. I am used to this crapwiz interface but i want to try some new rom which does not compromise with camera and music quality.

BakBob

Mods changed my name :(
I'm using CM 12.1 and have like 4GB free after 2 GB of apps. (Most of my media is on my SD card)

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
How is the camera? I have installed halycon rom yesterday and it has as usual 7+gb free space after clean install. Can you tell me how to install xposed framework in this rom.

ankushv

Journeyman
Having used the s4 for a year and some more , and after flashing plenty of roms , let me tell you the best rom is the stock rom , I have used gear cm 12.1 and cm12.1 to , both have bugs and may not suit someone using the phone strictly for work . If you want more internal storage you should look up xda and flash the 11gb Chinese pit file and the stock Chinese rom that goes with it . This will give us 11 gb on stock rom as opposed to 8 gb .
Bear in mind Indian and European roms do not work with the Chinese pit file and only the Chinese stock roms work with the Chinese 11 gb pit file . Look up xda .

BakBob

Mods changed my name :(
Having used the s4 for a year and some more , and after flashing plenty of roms , let me tell you the best rom is the stock rom , I have used gear cm 12.1 and cm12.1 to , both have bugs and may not suit someone using the phone strictly for work . If you want more internal storage you should look up xda and flash the 11gb Chinese pit file and the stock Chinese rom that goes with it . This will give us 11 gb on stock rom as opposed to 8 gb .
Bear in mind Indian and European roms do not work with the Chinese pit file and only the Chinese stock roms work with the Chinese 11 gb pit file . Look up xda .

What bugs? I'm using CM 12.1 and haven't experienced any bugs.

(The **** battery life is a LOLIPOP EXCLUSIVE FEATURE by Jewgle so that we buy SEXUS 6)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
^^ Lollipop onwards is a horrible battery and resource hog
Touchwiz just worsens this

CM may have its bugs but its still not as poor as Stock 5.x or 6.0 or Touchwiz generally
though AnkushV's own experience with this is probably what should be kept in mind in your case

ankushv

Journeyman
The primary bug is the battery life in cm 12.1 for i9500 .
Then there was an the VoIP calling bug (WhatsApp call , viber call , Skype call etc)
Also the dual noise cancellation mic's do not work properly .
Have used gear cm extensively and had switched back to stock .

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
^^How does pit file gives 11gb free space??
[ROM] [5.x.x] [Stable] [Xposed] [2015/11/17]… | Samsung Galaxy S 4 i9500, i9505, i9505G, i9506 | XDA Forums
This ROM is the closest to stock rom mixture of s6 and n4. The trusted face feature is added but it is not working. The speaker volume has been increased which distorts sound. Other than this the ROM is the best I have seen. If you like touchwiz interface than this ROM may suit you.
This ROM has exposed support but I dont know how to install xposed.

ankushv

Journeyman
The problem with Samsung is , that they do not release their source code and most of the hardware in the phone I.e. the camera , ir blaster and the sound chip is proprietary , as Samsung owns the exynos chipset , unlike the US i9505 which runs the snapdragon core and has a gpe edition and a stable cm 12 , where atlest the phone is stable on the tried and tested snapdragon chip , and there is not much developer support for the exynos variant . So all Samsung phones on exynos chips will have lesser developer support as compared to their American snapdragon counterparts .
Pit files changes the system partition space available for the phone for system , bootloader , data , cache etc .
Standard Samsung tw roms require a lot of space hence the availability of 8.9 gb on first boot in stock roms .
On Chinese stock roms the tw is slightly trimmed , hence more space for data , so 11gb free on first boot on tw .
A pit file is basically a file that tells odin how to partition the phone .
Hence even if i9500 has cm installed , the pit file is the 8gb one . So a rom does not effect the partition data hence even with a 250 mb cm12.1 rom the size of the data partition will not change .
Now flash a Chinese 11gb pit file and flash a cm12.1 rm you will have 11gb data instead of stock 8.9 .
But if you try to flash back the stock international tw rom in odin , it will give an error of insufficient space .
So you will have to flash 8gb pit and then flash back the international tw rom .
PS playing with the pit file can corrupt your imei and permanently brick your phone . So not advisable .
Search xda for Samsung i9500 11gb pit .
Hope this helps .

Last edited:
Top Bottom