Right to privacy

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
The judgement that was handed down by the SC in favour of our right to privacy... just want to get individual thoughts on that.

sohan_92

In the zone
The main thing concerns me that already more than 50% of Indian population have registered in Aadhaar with their fingerprints and iris scans. And those data are easily accessible by unethical 3rd parties, thanks to our Indian IT security and Law system. So right to policy is baseless unless there is some significant changes in existing privacy issues.

Highlighted issues:
>Techie arrested in Bengaluru for accessing Aadhaar data
>Jio data leak explained: Is your data safe, is Aadhaar also leaked and other questions answered

Flash

Lost in speed
If you want to follow the SSN-based approach in India for Aadhar, our infrastructure should have high end security measures to counter any attacks.
Though we may have ample, it wasn't enough for the new threats.

So,
1. Most of the banks have mandated that Aadhar should be linked with their bank accounts, and they're saying they will block the account if you didnt do.
2. Telecom operators also mandated to link Aadhar to mobile number, to curb fake ones.

What will happen to this?
Per the new judgement, they can't push the people to do so and the above 2 points becomes void.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
My fear: WikiLeaks hints at CIA access to Aadhaar data, officials deny it - Times of India

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Any effect on this forum ? The content on this forum is crawled by a lot of bots. A lot of personal info lying around.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
For me the stand of supreme court is clear. They probably want to ban aadhaar. But they cannot because the government has information about them that makes it impossible for them to take a totally anti-aadhaar stand. So they deliver judgements like this so that the public feels like supreme court is in their corner while in reality doing nothing to prevent.

I am not much worried about the leak of aadhaar data to private parties. I am more worried about the resulting police state/dictatorship and the chilling effect it has on dissent. A false accusation can allow the government to totally freeze all of your bank accounts, mobile numbers and transportation options in one single command rendering you as good as dead or worse.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want to follow the SSN-based approach in India for Aadhar, our infrastructure should have high end security measures to counter any attacks.
Though we may have ample, it wasn't enough for the new threats.

So,
1. Most of the banks have mandated that Aadhar should be linked with their bank accounts, and they're saying they will block the account if you didnt do.
2. Telecom operators also mandated to link Aadhar to mobile number, to curb fake ones.

What will happen to this?
Per the new judgement, they can't push the people to do so and the above 2 points becomes void.
No they don't.Even Fundamental Rights are not unlimited".e.g.freedom of speech does not mean one can make a hate speech without any fear of court cases.Similarly right to life does not mean that security personnel can not shoot a person dead in self defense or to protect others.If govt can prove in court that linking Aadhaar to bank accounts/PAN is necessary for economic development of country then Supreme Court will have no objections regarding this.As for SIM cards,that decision was given by Supreme Court itself to curb the misuse of sim cards taken on fake identities in terrorist activities,financial frauds etc.

What this judgement means is that from now on govt has to fight for each such law in court & if govt wins then that law will remain valid but if govt lose then that law will be invalid.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw that & let's wait before assuming anything,Indian media is known for making sensational claims sometimes without going into the depth or with solid evidence.Also that headline itself is very misleading & similar to those viral whatsapp posts with not a bit of reality or facts."granted full access" is nothing but sensational claim backed by no evidence at all presently.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I don't understand. Is this a politically motivated thread ? I mean, there are a lot of implications of this judgement. All everyone cares is talking about Aadhar. Is that all privacy is a fundamental right implied to ?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, if your Aadhar information is easily compromised, how can you trust that any of your other information is safe? This is pretty much a violation of right to privacy.

Flash

Lost in speed
I don't understand. Is this a politically motivated thread ? I mean, there are a lot of implications of this judgement. All everyone cares is talking about Aadhar. Is that all privacy is a fundamental right implied to ?
Unlike other identity, Aadhar is pretty much linked with anything. So, that makes aadhar leak scary.

sohan_92

In the zone
Aadhaar consists of most of the fundamental identification that you are YOU. So that it won't be difficult for a preparator to make you patsy, if he/she gets hands on your data.

P.S: May be I have watched too much Person of Interest series.

Last edited:

sohan_92

In the zone
Do you really trust Windows, Android or even Ubuntu to be fail proof ? Once there is a backdoor in OS, nothing else matters.
Correct. I agree with you. But it is not about vulnerability, but how difficult it is to make it vulnerable. And I guess, it will answer all of your concerns.

Top Bottom