Rig Hangs, Restarts, Beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugger

Banned
I recently assembled a computer for myself [thanks to your help]. However almost since the first day I've been facing problem of the computer hanging with no particular regualarity or frequency.

I initially thought it was to do with the application I was using - AutoCAD since at that time I had been using it for almost 99% of my computer time. As I found out it was partially true since after I switched over to ProgeCAD Smart, I've never faced any problem of hanging while drafting [while trying to do it with AutoCAD - 100% it hangs up :(].

However, I continue to face infrequent moments of the computer hanging up on other occasions too

One of these things happen when my computer malfunctions:

1. Computer hangs up suddenly [with no sound from cabinet speaker]

2. Computer hangs up suddenly with long unending beep from the Cabinet speaker

3. Computer restarts automatically

4. Places on the monitor covered with irregualr patches of pixels whose color did not match the color of the image/activity on the screen. [happened only twice - yesterday]

5. Computer hangs up when I run an AV Scan [KAV Server 30-day trial]

6. Computer hangs ocassionally when I play a movie [VLC player] or music [Winamp 5.572] with the sound from my 2.1 speaker getting stuck at the place where the computer hangs. Most of the times I watch movies & listen to music w/o issues though

When I check the temperature in the BIOS immediately after the computer hangs up [hot restart] the max temperature shown is almost always 51 degrees but no more than that

When I encountered problem number 4. the temperature in the BIOS was around 41 - 44 no more than it.

Troubleshooting i've done so far

BIOS

* Flashed the BIOS successfully Version 0501

Memory

* Ran Memtest86 v3.4 [trying to run v.3.5 from the same disk made the computer repeatedly re-start] 3 passes without error
* Removed 1 RAM stick [as only 2 GB gets dtected in x86 OS]
* Moved the RAM on different slots on the Mobo

GPU

* Removed my discreet GPU & running it on the 4200-based IGP

Drives

* Moved the SATA cables to different SATA slots

My observation

Dont' think there are issues with the Processor. The temperature of 51 degrees IMO is OK [please correct me if wrong]

There is no frequency or regularity for the problem to occur. Just yesterday had to use the computer [typing & drawing mostly] for nearly 14 hours with no issues.

My BIOS is working on factory defaults [except Boot sequence] - the fan is set to run at full speed at 55 degrees

Note:
I've got 1 hidden partiion [an active partition - so I keep it hidden that during during OS install every 30 days I face no problem. Also don't need that place right now] - do you think that is causing the problem

Also worked with CATIA & Nastran - no problems faced. Though I did not do any serious work with it or using it lately on my computer for the fear of things getting messed up and me losing all the work done

Installed NFS 4 & 5 - had played it for 30-odd mins: no problem

Ran AV Scan in Safe Mode - very slow Detected & deleated 1 worm/virus [location recycler]. after it finished scanning the C: drive I stoppped the scan though - far too long it was taking in Safe mode

My Specs

Processor - AMD Athlon X4 620

GPU - AMD ATI Radeon 5750-based 1 GB card [Sapphire]

RAM - 2*2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz [Kingston]

Mobo - Asus M4A785TD - V EVO

Monitor - Samsung 22" 2233SW

PSU - Gigabyte Superb 460 W

Please help. Need to get some work done the computer, but can't begin if not certain it will not malfunction

TIA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

Problem occurred once again. Computer hung - Patches on monitor got discolored - long unending beep from Cabinet Speaker

BIOS temperature showing both temperatures at 39 degrees

Been running the computer since 2 o clock in the afternoon w/o issues uptill now - Typing, Drawing, Surfing, Musicing, Watched a couple of downloaded YouTube VDOz

Please Help

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Keep the RAM on similar colored slots.
Update to CCC 10.3B
Update all chipsets from the website. Overlay them on the ones that came with the motherboard disc.
Disable IGP from BIOS.

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
Hi @asigh
Thanks for the reply & sorry for my much delayed reply - had stopped using my computer and using a different comp
Keep the RAM on similar colored slots.
Both oof them were on the same colored slots when the problem occured. Problem faced even when I tried using only 1 RAM stick
Update to CCC 10.3B
Had already done that - problem persisted
Update all chipsets from the website. Overlay them on the ones that came with the motherboard disc.
Had updated them before posting the problem
Disable IGP from BIOS.
Problem occured even when I removed the 5750 & ran it using the 4200 IGP

Today I went to my dealer and asked him if he could give me a RAM of a different company [even though my Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G RAM is in fact listed in my Mobo manual as recommended RAM]
He gave me a 2 GB stick of Corsair's VS2GB1333D3 G.

I bough it home today, installed it & was now able to install Win 7, whose installation would earlier stop immediately after completing the file expand step with the older RAM.

I think the problem has been solved. If the computer runs smoothly should I purchase this RAM along with another 2 GB. He is ready to do an excahnge with my Kingston RAM and wants me to pay a difference of Rs. 200 each for the Corsair RAMs.

Should I purchase them, even though this Corsair model is not on Asus's compatibility list [my Kingston was]. I had paid 2600 for the Kingston RAMs. Should I pay the 200 extra and get the ones from Corsair

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
try use a different HDD. if possible both IDE & Sata (borrow it from friend) & check,.. these kind of lags usually cause of faulty HDD. however not able get what wrong with screen. its main cause maybe cause IGP + discrete graphics trying work at same time. do what asigh recommended.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Corsair RAMs are the world best. They will run on anything, not sure why ASUS does not have it on its list. Get the Corsairs, but make sure, you replace both.

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
ran a virus scan with KAV 2010 yesterday - completed in 90 mins w/o a hitch - 1st successfull Full Scan using the AV on the new rig :) - never managed to complete in earlier with the Kingston RAMs

@Sam.Shab
After changing the RAM, I am no longer facing any problem. So I don't think it would be necessary to go on & check by changing the HDD. What say?

@asigh
I think I will pay for this Corsair RAM and also return the other Kingston RAM and get another Corsair.

Actually the mobo manual did not list any 2GB Corsair RAM in the compatible list - all 1GB sticks :| - the manual was probably not updated before print or something.

Is Rs. 2800 okay price for the Corsair RAM [200 extra to be paid in exchange for the Kingston RAM]?

TIA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom