Richard Gere's Kiss to Shilpa Shetty issue blown out of proportions?

What do you think about the Kiss issue?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Kiss issue blown due to gossip-hungry television media

*www.southasiabiz.com/uploads/Richard%20Gere%20and%20Shilpa%20Shetty.jpg *hubpages.com/u/26507_f260.jpg *hubpages.com/u/26505_f520.jpg

Reacting to the apology rendered by actor Richard Gere to the media following the outcry over pecks he planted on Shilpa Shetty's cheeks, the actress's spokesperson Dale Bhagwagar commented, "It is sad that Gere had to apologize for no fault of his".

"All he had done was enacted a scene from his film 'Shall We Dance' to entertain the truckers at the AIDS awareness event. It was a natural cute and loving impromptu gesture by Gere which was blown out of proportion due to improper projection by the gossip-hungry television media," Bhagwagar said.

He maintained that it was an irrelevant controversy and said that Shilpa was neither hurt nor humiliated by Gere's gesture. "It is really surprising that three pecks on Shilpa Shetty's cheeks can cause such an uproar especially in the land of Kamasutra ," he added.

SOURCE

What do you guys feel? Is the issue really blown out of proportions or whether the critics are justified saying "It's against Indian Culture"?

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I feel that if someone feels that this is against Indian culture, they have every right to put forward their opinion and go to courts if they feel hurt. They are citizens of India and they also have the right to speak their mind and seek a judicial remedy when they think their feeling have been hurt, just like Shilpa and Gere have every right to kiss in public.

As for "land of Kamasutra" we were at the same time the land of Vedas. But we have moved on. If our present law does not allow such a thing why bring things from past and try to justify it.

Basically its just a money making trick by media. Richard Gere kissed Shilpa, he did not rape her. She did not have any objections to it.What is so news worthy? If the media does not consider this as anything out of normal why report it at all? Its the business of media to report what it consideres unusual or incorrect, not what it consideres correct.

Last edited:
OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I certainly didn't like the act. It was not just a Kiss. It was a sequence of obscene act. Richard first kissed Shilpa's hand, then hugged her, kissed her cheek, and then a big-tight Kiss! Huh! Not in India atleast.

T

thunderbird.117

I wonder what is next?. Cant he kiss celina jaitley instead of shlipa?.

virus_killer

Journeyman
if shilpa has no objection thn why should we have , and as "karnivore" said don't we do all those ? if anything happens like this than our people make it a big issue of culture. i don't know when our people's mentality will change.

karnivore

in your face..
Until and unless we exorcise the ghost of so called "Indian Culture", we will have to carry the burden of being certified bigots.

I understand that some might feel uncomfortable with public display of affection, but no way, it justifies the monkey business thats happening in the name of "Indian Culture".

virus_killer

Journeyman
And one more fact behind this issue is " OUR POLITICIANS ", i don't know why they do all these, Don't they want to improve our country ? really men, i want to k#LL em.

T

thunderbird.117

*www.zimbio.com/img/b2/0d/premalshah/1555l.jpg
Hmm. Just now i heard of mandira bedi controversy. That she was wearing world flag and the india flag was near to her feet?. Wow things are happening at rapid pace.

Source :- *www.rediff.com/wc2007/2007/apr/28man.htm
Pic :- *www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1093522

Last edited by a moderator:

anandk

Distinguished Member
he atmptd a step from his shallwedance movie.

the cases were launched by the complainants, purely bcoz of the media coverage they were xpctd to get, in view of gere's celebrity status.

so many such alleged incidents take place (esp by politicians) in out country all the time; but that time no one wants to raise the bogey of India's cultural blah blah ! :D

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
thunderbird.117 said:
*www.zimbio.com/img/b2/0d/premalshah/1555l.jpg
Hmm. Just now i heard of mandira bedi controversy. That she was wearing world flag and the india flag was near to her feet?. Wow things are happening at rapid pace.

Source :- *www.rediff.com/wc2007/2007/apr/28man.htm
Pic :- *www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1093522

Exactly what I was thinking when i saw her yesterday that this was objectionable...good that it has been brought up..

karnivore said:
So Indians don't do all of those ?

Not in Public dude...
Our culture is like that...And it is much better than the western cultures but unfortunately the youth don't get tht..even me sometimes:D

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
karnivore said:
So Indians don't do all of those ?

Don't do all these? Come on, that's a stupid question to ask. There are certain things not to be done in public in India. Richard should be aware of the Indian Culture. There is a lot of difference between Western culture and Indian Culture. He did it so becoz it's not a big deal for him. The same scenario assumed in western country would have no issues at all. But it really matters for a country like India. That's the Indian Culture, you respect it or disrespect it is your choice.

karnivore

in your face..
Kiran_tech_mania said:
Don't do all these? Come on, that's a stupid question to ask. There are certain things not to be done in public in India. Richard should be aware of the Indian Culture. There is a lot of difference between Western culture and Indian Culture. He did it so becoz it's not a big deal for him. The same scenario assumed in western country would have no issues at all. But it really matters for a country like India. That's the Indian Culture, you respect it or disrespect it is your choice.

I personally have serious reservation about this thing called "culture". Isn't is very subjective. It changes with perceptions and of course time. What was inappropriate 50 yrs back is certainly ok today. What is "un-cultural" today, will, surely be ok, 50 yrs from today.

Now i do agree with u that public display of affection is not something that is part of our practice [sorry mate, can't use the term "culture", cause culture is what u practice, u don't practice culture, although the self-claimed moralists want us to do exactly that], neither are we all comfortable with it.

But if someone chooses to publicly display affection, do we have the right to vilify him/her, the way it is being done. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and is free to criticize, but dragging them to court, pooh-poohing them in the name of "culture" - do u really think its a sign of a matured nation.

ancientrites

In the zone
richard gere kissed shilpa shetty SO WHAT.you see lots of heavy smooches in bollywood movies.why dont we blame bollywood for ruining indian culture.Just look at current actor like imran hashmi,dino moreaand the director vikram bhat,and need i say actress name.you all know who i refer to.
indian culture is doomed.No use of maintaining indian culture.i can assure all of you if sonia ghandhi government rules for next 20 years term.she will convert india into europe.i love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom